Has anyone ever used one of these....

Ahumphers91a

Has anyone ever used one of these....

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Have anyone on the forum used these plastic quail coops to keep birds for a week or so? Here's the link: http://shilala.homestead.com/carryingcoops.html
I was looking at the quail coop just for 10-20 quail at a time for training. there gonna be kill birds, I cant have them all year round where I live.

Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Has anyone ever used one of these....

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:06 pm

They will work for a few for a few days. I kept three in a wire cage that wasn't that large or nice for two or three months a couple of winters ago.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Ive seen 55 gallon plastic drums used as call back pens. Will hold a dozen or so birds pretty easy.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Ive seen 55 gallon plastic drums used as call back pens. Will hold a dozen or so birds pretty easy.
I wish I could have call back pen, but I can't have them very long where I live. I'm thinking that it will do the job for at least 10-20 at a time. plan on doing lots of training soon.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Coops really aren't for holding birds more than a few days. You might sqeek a week or two if you get one with a mesh bottom not the solid bottom (like that white one). If they have to stand in their guano and it gets wet from the water they ain't gonna last more than a couple days and will be nasty.

Mesh bottom is your best bet if you want to keep them in that for extended time, but not real long.....

You can make a wire cage and I have kept birds a couple weeks in a call back cage like lion country sells.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:18 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Coops really aren't for holding birds more than a few days. You might sqeek a week or two if you get one with a mesh bottom not the solid bottom (like that white one). If they have to stand in their guano and it gets wet from the water they ain't gonna last more than a couple days and will be nasty.

Mesh bottom is your best bet if you want to keep them in that for extended time, but not real long.....

You can make a wire cage and I have kept birds a couple weeks in a call back cage like lion country sells.
Ok, thanks. I thought it was the way it looked on the top was the way it was all the way around. I will maybe even get by with say a 30 x 36 rabbit cage. I will look at Lion Country's.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:23 pm

seems like an expensive option, but nice.

I could use one of those transport cages, I was planning on just using a couple old wire cages. I like the lower height of the transport cage, keep them from jumping and flapping.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah, they don't look too bad.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:13 pm

the wire cages are harder to catch from unless you make a modification like a rubber flap catch door. You want the door to open out, if it opens in when they bum rush it and you close it, it will sweep them out. The rabbit hutch metal cages usually have an inward opening door.

Even in the shorter transport coops the birds can beat themselves up if something pesters them, chukars can get their heads caught in the top . You'll want to keep them protected from being pestered by whatever. The side load door is easier/safer to catch from than a top load door, especially for quail, on those plastic coops.

If you go the plastic way I think an 11A would serve you best.

You could also build a wood transport coop with a hardware cloth bottom, quick load door in the end and rubber flap door with a wood slide cover for the flap. The quick load side door makes it easier to slide some food and water in there. You could even get a droplet type tip and gravity feed it from a 5 gallon bucket to keep the water mess down.

Don't mind me just brain storming for ya :lol:

I release thousands of birds a year out of type 10 coops.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:22 pm

No, its nice to get opinions and ideas. And I've only put out pheasants at the hunting club lol, so not a lot of exp.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I have been using a couple of the small wire rabit cages you can get at like rural king. they are like 30X30X18 You have to put it together your self so you can hang the door anyway you want. I have mine swinging outwards.

I have kept both quail and pigeons in the small cages I have and after about 3-4 days you almost HAVE to use a launcher because they lose alot of umph and dont want to fly.

Good luck
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks, I wish I could have a small flight pen, but that's not in the cards right now

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 pm

I use a small animal cage purchased from Tractor Supply for my quail pen. If you want a transport cage you can go to the grocery store and get some plastic baskets that they transport fruit and vegetables in, cut a piece of fiber board to cover the top, glue it to the top of your basket with construction adhesive and cut a large door with hinges in the fiber board for unloading birds and in that door you make a smaller door with a spring and hinges on it for loading the birds into. Cheaper than buying those plastic crates from LCS. I got my baskets from work when they have the food truck deliver produce to the jail. My quail pen is a converted chain link dog kennel that is topped with chicken wire to keep them from flying out and dog wire wrapped around the outside at the bottom to keep the quail from getting through the chain links. Some might call me cheap I call it frugal. :lol: Truth is I actually enjoy building little projects like that.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 am

Before i built a place to house birds I used the Quail Condo from Lion Country Supply, http://www.lcsupply.com/Better-Quail-Co ... tinfo/BQC/ , with great success with up to a dozen birds.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 am

If you just want to hold them a few days, go down to Walmart and buy some "milk crates" (It's back to school time and they sell them for book shelves). Put some hardware cloth or poultry wire over the top with a door cut in it. I use that for my pigeons and can fit in two to three at a time.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:48 pm

original mngsp wrote:Before i built a place to house birds I used the Quail Condo from Lion Country Supply, http://www.lcsupply.com/Better-Quail-Co ... tinfo/BQC/ , with great success with up to a dozen birds.
Thanks all, and thanks for this link. I will be grabbing one asap. I will post back when I'm all set up. Thanks again.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Looks good, did u just cut the top off of one of those crates and add plywood?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:40 pm

The ones I have didn't come with tops they have holes in each corner on the tops and short pegs on the bottom in the corners that insert into the holes so that you can stack them on top of one another. The edges are flat on top which made them great for gluing on to the wood tops with construction adhesive.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:34 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Coops really aren't for holding birds more than a few days. You might sqeek a week or two if you get one with a mesh bottom not the solid bottom (like that white one). If they have to stand in their guano and it gets wet from the water they ain't gonna last more than a couple days and will be nasty.

I keep mine in a 5x3 mesh cage. Holds about 20. I clean it out once a week - no problem for many weeks. I feed chicken starter. Call back isn't possible in the middle of London.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Sharon wrote:

I keep mine in a 5x3 mesh cage. Holds about 20. I clean it out once a week - no problem for many weeks. I feed chicken starter. Call back isn't possible in the middle of London.
I'm not going to raise them though, just kill birds. good idea though, wish I had the room for a mesh cage.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:
Sharon wrote:

I'm not going to raise them though, just kill birds. good idea though, wish I had the room for a mesh cage.
If you live near me you wouldn't have to keep them crate up..I'd deleivery it for free within 45 minutes of driving time, and then we could do training together...When I go training with guys who buy birds from me I usually charge less :wink:
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com