Pointing pup question

baileydog2007

Pointing pup question

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:16 pm

Quick couple of questions. Have a 4 month old setter, well bred. I am on vacation for 2 weeks, and rather than board the pup (taking with was not an option) I sent her to a very reputable breeder/trainer for bird intro and gun fire intro for a month, not a big price difference between 2 weeks boarding and a month there, and obviously she will benefit far more this way. Been there 10 days as of today, and had bird exposeure everyday. Anyways, talked to the trainer today, she is very obedient, good in the exercise pen, and gets along with all the dogs (I believe she is the youngest he currently has there), but is only flash pointing. While he says he really likes her, the "pointing" was a little disappointing. Reason for concern on my part at all??? Or too young to worry yet? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

ElhewPointer

Re: Pointing pup question

Post by ElhewPointer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Is this your first setter? Sounds like a young pup.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Yup. My first pointing dog.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:53 pm

This is not meant to be a slight, but setters generally come on a little slower. End results will still be the same. The pup has only been on this planet 120 days. He'll be fine. If he's not ready, don't press the issue. JMO

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:56 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:This is not meant to be a slight, but setters generally come on a little slower. End results will still be the same. The pup has only been on this planet 120 days. He'll be fine. If he's not ready, don't press the issue. JMO

No slight taken. When researching the dog I wanted, that was definately a part of what I learned. Im not disappointed, the breeder/trainer was, and he is setter specific as far as what he breeds, so if he was a little disappointed, just got me thinking. He looked at the pups pedigree and what she is doing vs what he thought, is a bit off. But, I realize she is young, and he has only had her for 10 days. Just looking for any comments. Thanks for yours.

volraider

Post by volraider » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 pm

sounds to me like you have a bold little pup which is a good thing. Your puppy sounds like it needs a dose of wild birds this season and then should be ready to break. If you did your homework on setters then trust your breeding and give it time to develop on wild birds. I have shorthair that is a little over one, I learned pretty quick that all he need the first year was to be hunted and not an over abundance of pen birds.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:01 pm

She is too young to get worried over. At that age some will and some won't and it has no effect on what the pup will be in a year.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:15 am

I have a 17 month old male setter, and last season he didn't do much 'pointing' but found the pheasants. So far this summer he has been pointing my buddies chickens like a Champ.

It has been a HUGE difference this summer from last fall, just that 8 months he has 'grown up' alot, have some patience it will all be worth it soon

Have fun this season with your pup, don't push him to hard, he will learn. He has 12-14 years worth of being a great bird dog.

:D

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:38 am

She's still a Baby.Setters take longer to mature.Really can't understand the trainer being disappointed,especially if he's a Setter guy.Her potential and devlopement will come with Time.
Dog On Point!!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:07 pm

The more birds, the better she will get. At 4 mos let her bust birds. She will soon realize she can't catch them and she will hold. let her be a pup. you have plenty of time to make her steady.

Joe

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 pm

If she is bred well from field stock I bet she starts pointing fine, with some puppies they just do it on their own schedule. I wouldn't sweat it yet but like you I would be curious for input.