Backyard Pigeon coop - check it out

KFhunter

Backyard Pigeon coop - check it out

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I aquired this coop from a friend that got tired of having the birds, he'd used them on his dogs. The birds have been free flying and he left the door open for the birds to come and go as they please, pretty soon he was down to 3 birds lol. I almost wonder if the homer was taking the rollers too far away and they simply dropped off and got lost.

so take a look, see any improvements I should make right away? I was thinking of adding a shelf to the right side of it surrounded with wire so they couldn't get out.
Not sure I like the small landing door setup.

Last edited by KFhunter on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KFhunter

Re: new pigeon coop

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm

I need to put some boards around the base, to keep the dog out from under it. She'll climb right under and try to figure out how to get up at the birds

also I plan on changing out the watering, thats a temp waterer that I thought might come in handy when transporting birds as its small.

I'll need heated waterer this winter

also I was wondering if I shouldn't just make a solid floor instead of the drop thru style, not sure it really helps. Was thinking of just laying 1/2 hardy board backer down
and pine shavings

basic instinct

Post by basic instinct » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I Like it. I need to build myself one, yours has some good idea's to it. Might want to leave some of the floor wire for good air flow? just a thought How big is it square??

KFhunter

Re: Backyard Pigeon coop - check it out

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:23 pm

I havn't measured it, but I think its 4x4

Its built by a roller guy, he's had pigeons for a long time and is really into them. He gave the coop to a bird dog guy, and now I'm the 3rd owner.

I know the roller guy too, he's offered to give me some more culls - birds that don't roll deep enough or not at all.
I'll take him up on that, he just kills them - so I might as well shoot em huh?

So rollers are easy to come by, I'd much rather have homers and racers though as they'll find their way home from further afield.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:28 pm

basic instinct wrote:I Like it. I need to build myself one, yours has some good idea's to it. Might want to leave some of the floor wire for good air flow? just a thought How big is it square??

I'll probably build one too, I think I'll use concrete board for most of it. Should be easier to scrape off and is impervious to water. I know it holds paint very well too, so high gloss white and it should clean really easy and not hold bacteria.

If you look at the inside picture I added a couple shelves with some 1/2 inch hardy board I had laying around, the wood ones are almost rotted out and the seams are very loose. I'll renovate the inside of this coop with more hardy board shelves and I'll add nest bowls.

Also going to add V perches, probably commercial style with clickers for easy installation

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 am

Nice... love the dog sniffin' around like a wine'o at the back door of the liquor store! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 am

NICE!!..pretty soon the dog will figure out theres mesh on the bottom and she'll be under there getting pooped on, trust me LOL!!!...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:40 am

You need more Ventlation in it for sure.Don't let the dog badger the birds.
Last edited by BoJack on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dog On Point!!

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:51 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:NICE!!..pretty soon the dog will figure out theres mesh on the bottom and she'll be under there getting pooped on, trust me LOL!!!...ruth

Oh ya, she'll lay under there all sprawled out like a frog - getting pooped on

There is a catch tray that suppose to slide onto those lower 2x2 boards on the bottom, I didn't put it back on because it was somewhat rotted.
I plan on making one out of that concrete board so that'll help with her under there too.

but after a few days of having it she's not laying under it anymore, she'll sniff around the edges and look under but hasn't layed down under it. Now she just kind of checks it out then makes her normal yard circuit.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:03 pm

My coop is in the back yrd & if I let my dogs out of there kennels they will head straight to it & have to belly crawl to get under it.Years ago I had a male GSP that was crazy over pigeons & loved retrieving.He squessed through the kennel door one day & headed full speed straight for the coop,he never slowed down & leaped straight through the standard size pigeon trrap door.I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it,didn't think an adult GSP could fit through it let alone on a dead run & leap!!! :lol:

larry

Post by larry » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Put a small fence around it to keep the dogs away.