Stop Digging in Prairie Dog Holes? Help Needed!!**!!**

media310

Stop Digging in Prairie Dog Holes? Help Needed!!**!!**

Post by media310 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:07 am

Problem:
My 11 month old GSP is digging in Prairie Dog holes with her front paws and mouth. When she finally comes up her face and teeth are covered in dirt and mud. Every day when were out walking and running she goes straight to the Prairie Dog holes. Almost has a routine down now..

Correction:
I tell her No Dig, then No, she fails to listen as of late. So I today I walked up grabbed her by the back of the neck and put her in the kennel inside the house with complete loss of outside playtime for today, no runs, no walks etc..

I just pulled the eCollar out of the box and wondering if this might help to stop her when I say no dig?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Stop Digging in Prairie Dog Holes? Help Needed!!**!!**

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18 am

even If she hasn't had any proper e collar intro then as she begins to head her own direction if you cue her one time with whistle or voice like you usually do ..do not use the collar IF SHE HASN'T BEEN REGULARLY been cued with one anyway if you go usual routine and she still heads to where she wants to go..let her get there and commit to digging and begin turn on high and light her up like a christmas tree do not say a word keep walking...as far as she is concerned something in that hole just bit the ________ out of her if she comes running to you do not reward don't say a word ignore her and keep on walking pretend like you have no idea what happened and just keep going...IF she hits for another town let her get there commit to the digging and again Light her up like a christmas tree

Remember as soon as they are leaving the holes finger needs to come off the button
Do not stand there and watch her it is important that you walk on..You are the leader and she should be going where you are headed not self hunting and doing what she wants
and when she stops and catches up with you reason it is important that you ignore her and not say anything or do anything but walk on like nothing happened you do not want to teach her that the collar means to shut down and get clingy..it was that mean hole that did it not you
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 am

what k9 said.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 pm

brad27 wrote:what k9 said.
Yep, and before you let her get away with digging more holes.

Witholding play time is of zero consequence to a dog. They do not have the capacity to reason that they did not get out to play all day because they dug in a hole. (neither does a child for that matter).

media310

Post by media310 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

kninebirddog,

Another great response, worked like a charm. By the 3rd hole she didn't even bother looking in.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:30 pm

media310 wrote:kninebirddog,

Another great response, worked like a charm. By the 3rd hole she didn't even bother looking in.
I just pulled the eCollar out of the box and wondering if this might help to stop her when I say no dig?
just remember, the ecollar isn't a magic cure all for everything.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:48 pm

While I think you got great advice and I have no more to add..... I can't help but think this is more a of a pdog problem than it is a bird dog problem. Here is what I am willing to do to help..... You go ahead and clear me out enough room for a tent and point me in the right direction and ill do my verry best to rid you of the temptin little buggers you pooch seems so inclined to go looking for....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:While I think you got great advice and I have no more to add..... I can't help but think this is more a of a pdog problem than it is a bird dog problem. Here is what I am willing to do to help..... You go ahead and clear me out enough room for a tent and point me in the right direction and ill do my verry best to rid you of the temptin little buggers you pooch seems so inclined to go looking for....

Jim

Hmm That sounds like fun.. :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Need more motivation? If I recall, prairie dog holes often harbor rattlesnakes.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:29 pm

media310 wrote:Problem:
My 11 month old GSP is digging in Prairie Dog holes with her front paws and mouth. When she finally comes up her face and teeth are covered in dirt and mud. Every day when were out walking and running she goes straight to the Prairie Dog holes. Almost has a routine down now..

Turn the control to max and as soon as she is within a foot of the hole, ZAP!
If you do not, you will lose that dog to a snake. How will you feel if she sticks her nose in a hole and gets bit by a snake?
Zap her NOW! and end this dangerous behavior.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Scott Linden wrote:Need more motivation? If I recall, prairie dog holes often harbor rattlesnakes.
That is what I was gonna say, they are a favorite hideout for rattlesnakes.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:09 pm

media310 wrote:kninebirddog,

So is she staying out of the holes still