Training question!!

blind squirrel

Training question!!

Post by blind squirrel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 am

I live in Oklahoma, and I was wondering if anyone knows about training a dog here. I had to buy a dog trainer license, (would have never guessed) the license is good for a year, however the wma (wildlife management area) only allows you to work your dog from Jan-march (I believe that's right). Anyone know where I should try to work my dog? We do a bit of obedience train in the yard, but as far as having him practice his "whoa" it's been a challenge, any tips would help thanks :)
Hunting buddies for a lifetime!!

Your dog is only as good as you train him/her.

Additude reflex leadership!!

terrym

Re: Training question!!

Post by terrym » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:14 am

I would look for a club. Some are breed specific some not. The NAVHDA group tends to be well organized and active. Look for a local chapter. Next I would call some breeders and see if they can point you to a trainer in your area. At some point yu will need to put your dog on live birds so might as well start sourcing that. A trainer was my solution.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 am

Unless they have changed it, WMA use is at the discretion of the local manager. Where are you? NAVHDA meets usually in the central north area..
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 am

I've put him in live birds before, still has a few hick ups but he's on the right track. Casey I'm in Midwest city/ Oklahoma city. And I have a dumb question I'm new and all but what is the NAVHDA?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:48 am

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 am

blind squirrel wrote:I've put him in live birds before, still has a few hick ups but he's on the right track. Casey I'm in Midwest city/ Oklahoma city. And I have a dumb question I'm new and all but what is the NAVHDA?
www.oknavhda.com

PM Coveyrise64 on this forum and he will fix you up. Jay Hoth with Switchgrass WPGs can help you out, also. NAVHDA is a little too into water for me, but they are a great bunch and have a lot of upland folks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm

You also have the Indian Nations Brittany Club folks out of Guthrie you could contact.

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Whoa!!!! I was just hit with alot of information. I am looking into everything thank everyone!! :) the NAVHDA is a serious set of individuals !! :) I'm liking this forum already!!

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:I've put him in live birds before, still has a few hick ups but he's on the right track. Casey I'm in Midwest city/ Oklahoma city. And I have a dumb question I'm new and all but what is the NAVHDA?
http://www.oknavhda.com

PM Coveyrise64 on this forum and he will fix you up. Jay Hoth with Switchgrass WPGs can help you out, also. NAVHDA is a little too into water for me, but they are a great bunch and have a lot of upland folks.
You don't have to do the water if you don't want, you were just afraid no one would throw you a life preserver....... :mrgreen:
Cajun Casey wrote:Unless they have changed it, WMA use is at the discretion of the local manager. Where are you? NAVHDA meets usually in the central north area..
Usually it is the first of June and somewhat discretionary, typically no dogs after June 1 period.

Next training day is July 16th near Mounds, OK. Will be doing some bird work with young dogs early and FF demo as well as Lining Drills/Blinds in the PM.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 pm

HAHAHAHA.

Just told one of my customers to check the site and also call you. He has one of my pups and needs some guidance with bird intro.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:HAHAHAHA.

Just told one of my customers to check the site and also call you. He has one of my pups and needs some guidance with bird intro.
If he has one of your pups he'll need more than that, so there...............HAHAHAHA. :mrgreen: Send me a PM with his name, I'm screening my calls.

Coveyrise64

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:31 pm

So some of the benefits of the NAVHDA would be?? Still a newbee just wanting to know. I like being able to work my dog with others, and getting to meet new people.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:33 pm

blind squirrel wrote:So some of the benefits of the NAVHDA would be?? Still a newbee just wanting to know. I like being able to work my dog with others, and getting to meet new people.
Affordable birds, experienced help and a warm, heartfelt hug from Terry.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:28 pm

blind squirrel wrote:Whoa!!!! I was just hit with alot of information. I am looking into everything thank everyone!! :) the NAVHDA is a serious set of individuals !! :) I'm liking this forum already!!
More dedicated than serious, if you want your dog to reach its potential then that is what we are about.
blind squirrel wrote:So some of the benefits of the NAVHDA would be?? Still a newbee just wanting to know. I like being able to work my dog with others, and getting to meet new people.
Training grounds, equipment, birds, demonstrations, an extra hand, and training experience. Bruce is in charge of hugs this year.......!

Coveyrise64

bmacinok

Post by bmacinok » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:09 pm

coveyrise64 wrote: Bruce is in charge of hugs this year.......!

Coveyrise64
Here ya' go again, I am minding my own business.....

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:09 pm

bmacinok wrote:
coveyrise64 wrote: Bruce is in charge of hugs this year.......!

Coveyrise64
Here ya' go again, I am minding my own business.....
You've never minded your own business. Besides, didn't want you to feel left out...... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Darn, makes me wish I didn't live so far out west. I could really use a hug, Terry. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

Dam, Terry maybe if I would of gotten one of those hugs you would have gotten a fillet instead of a hotdog!!!!!!!! LMAO

Blind Squirrel,
NAVHDA is the way to go.You go, meet people,learn to communicate with your dog and have fun. I garantee that no matter if NAVHDA is for you or not, you will walk away a better trainer and you dog a better companion.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Munster wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:

Dam, Terry maybe if I would of gotten one of those hugs you would have gotten a fillet instead of a hotdog!!!!!!!! LMAO

Blind Squirrel,
NAVHDA is the way to go.You go, meet people,learn to communicate with your dog and have fun. I garantee that no matter if NAVHDA is for you or not, you will walk away a better trainer and you dog a better companion.
Oh, my.

Y'all still do lunch? I can bring some watermelon. We have a fruit stand in front of my work and they leave before I do! :)

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Munster wrote: Dam, Terry maybe if I would of gotten one of those hugs you would have gotten a fillet instead of a hotdog!!!!!!!! LMAO

Blind Squirrel,
Oh, my.

Y'all still do lunch? I can bring some watermelon. We have a fruit stand in front of my work and they leave before I do! :)
BYOL nowdays, to hard to figure out how many were going to show. Watermelon would still be good though.

Coveyrise64

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
Munster wrote: Dam, Terry maybe if I would of gotten one of those hugs you would have gotten a fillet instead of a hotdog!!!!!!!! LMAO

Blind Squirrel,
Oh, my.

BYOL nowdays, to hard to figure out how many were going to show. Watermelon would still be good though.

Coveyrise64

Just ribbing Terry about the fillet.
Met him at the Invitational, friend and I had brought some fillet minon for the grill. Terry was looking hungry, I wanted to offer him some fillet but since he owns a shorthair I thought a hotdog was good enough! :lol: :lol:
No, I actually still feel bad that we were eating good and all we had to offer him was a dog. He was great to talk to, has a lot of good info to share.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

bmacinok

Post by bmacinok » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:08 am

Munster wrote:
Met him at the Invitational, friend and I had brought some fillet minon for the grill. Terry was looking hungry, I wanted to offer him some fillet but since he owns a shorthair I thought a hotdog was good enough! :lol: :lol:
No, I actually still feel bad that we were eating good and all we had to offer him was a dog. He was great to talk to, has a lot of good info to share.
Don't feel one bit bad eating steak in front of Terry....just be careful when you see him with a fork! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And Terry always looks hungry :P

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:27 am

bmacinok wrote:
Munster wrote:
Don't feel one bit bad eating steak in front of Terry....just be careful when you see him with a fork! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And Terry always looks hungry :P
After all the things I've done for you, why would you want to trash talk the....ONLY FRIEND YOU HAVE LEFT... in this world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: