bird dogs and horses.

jimbo&rooster

bird dogs and horses.

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 am

Well after a childhood of more or less forced involvement in horses and showing, I have spent the last 15 or so years doing my best to not even remember which way was the front of the saddle. My wife and father in law are ate up with horses and it has killed them.

Now I have found that Since Ive gotten into bird dogs that I enjoy throwing a saddle on, and just taking off through the fields following my dogs. It seems like almost a natural transition.

How many of ya'll have only gotten Involved with horses as a result of owning brd dogs? Im just curiouse, as though this hasnt been an expensive enough hobby, now Im looking at saddles, and trying to justify a gaited horse because i MIGHT someday get involved in HB trials.....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

displaced_texan

Re: bird dogs and horses.

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am

I grew up with a best friend who's family raised horses. To me horses are just a lot of work.

Lately I'm wanting one, and just started riding lessons. I can ride, but will need to get better before the horseback hunting trip out west.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:07 am

I have followed behind bird dogs since I was nine and had one of my own from fifteen. I did a fair bit of hunting, most of it local and all of it on foot. I had the kind of dogs that you cut loose and then went and found them on point, because that was the kind of dog I was accustomed to. I suppose I was in my twenties before I realized that most folks arond where I lived and hunted, actually wanted to see their dogs most all of the time. My dogs would fade out of sight and if it did not come back in five minutes or so...you had better go find the dog becauseit it is standing somewhere.

In my late forties, I was introduced to field trials by the gentleman who used to board my dogs when we went on vacation. Up until that time, the only horses I had ever ridden were made out of wood and went round in a circle while music played.

I went to a field trial at his invitation and walked a couple of walking braces. I liked what I saw and told him so. He then pointed over to his trailer and said go over and get on that horse and follow the horseback dogs around for a few braces.

When I told him I didn't know the first thing about riding, he asked me if I could get up into the saddle. I said yes and he said "That is all you need to know with that horse. He will take care of the rest." He most certainly did. I liked what I saw even more because those dogs went though the country like I expected a dog to go and I could actually watch them since I was nine feet tall on the back of that horse. I was hooked.

It was a few years of rented and borrowed horses and a several dogs, mostly other folks' dogs, but every once in a while, one of mine even... that showed me what a bird dog is actually capable of and I wanted more.

I got my own horse about eleven years ago. Since my son enjoyed field trialing and riding also, when I moved to a place where I could keep my animals at home, I added a second horse.

I never thought I would develop such a deep affection for those hayburners...but they are just a lot of fun. They still scare me and I am still concerned with trusting my life and limb to something with the IQ of my shoe size, but I do it anyway.

Yes, they are a lot of work and a considerable expense, but they make possible some of the most enjoyable outdoor experiences I have ever had, both with and without bird dogs.

RayG

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 am

I dislike horses, probably because I am so frugal (or my wifes says "cheap"). I have 2 walking horses (field trail broke) and about 12 dogs, and we have a great place to ride and watch the dogs work liberated birds out at Camp Robinson, Mayflower, Arkansas. I have rode the horses and greatly enjoy watching a dog from high up. If I ever get comfortable on those horses, I might actually participate in more horseback trials. My wife and daughter love riding, and I figure my soon to be little girl (Oct 10 if all goes well) will also like riding. I guess I should just get tuff and ride the horses more.

Now all i need is more money.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 am

The oldest dog is six and I am a grouse guy, so I had no reason for them. Then the wife and I went to couple walking trials and had a good time. She is the horse lover. We took some lessons and will be bringing our two new TWH home this week hopefully, if I get the stalls done. I will say I enjoy roading off the horse more than off the ATV. I will attend a couple HB events before entering but I will be entering the walking events this fall. The kids are young and will grow up around all this. So we are now in as a family. Not bad for a three month window.

Oh and she wanted a new camera so she could sell photos from events. So she has something to shoot now too.

What is the phrase the poker guys use...all in? :D

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 am

I had never been on a horse until I got into trialing. It shows. I am getting better as time goes on but no where near the cowboy those that have ridden all their life are.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 pm

I dont know what I am doing, but the cowboys at the trials say "you stayed on so you did good". LOL....the last thing I want to do is not stay on.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:I dont know what I am doing, but the cowboys at the trials say "you stayed on so you did good". LOL....the last thing I want to do is not stay on.
Falling off ain't so bad. I did it again last week. I'm working on getting better at bareback...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:01 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:I dont know what I am doing, but the cowboys at the trials say "you stayed on so you did good". LOL....the last thing I want to do is not stay on.
Falling off ain't so bad. I did it again last week. I'm working on getting better at bareback...
I'ts not the fall that hurt, I the sudden stop. 8)