Would you?

stlgsp

Would you?

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Just wondering other people’s thoughts - Would you or have you let a friend take your dog on a week long hunting trip with out you going? Not asking about sending them with a trainer.

Was asked to go to ND this fall and can’t go when they’re going, was then asked if I’d consider letting them take one or two of my dogs. He lost his dog to cancer in February, now has a 10 week old puppy, his buddy has two older dogs that have slowed down. As much as I like to get my dogs out to different places the decision was easy this time, I’ve hunted with the buddy once and without going into details will never do it again. Didn't get to go last year and am hoping to go back to SD this fall but it did get me thinking about who I would or wouldn’t trust taking with my dogs.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Would you?

Post by birddogger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I would let only one person take one of my dogs on a trip like that. That would be my friend and hunting partner, Ron R.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I have a friend that I would let take my dog hunting.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 pm

I have 1 also my hunting buddy Al (Ezzy) and only cause I know he would care for and respect my dogs just as much as he does his own. I have more friends I would let take my kid than one of my bird dogs lol :lol:

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 pm

One could pose the question then... would you trust your friend with your wife(or husband) more than your dog??? :wink: on the other hand... lets not pose that question... nevermind. It's late and I should be in bed... Right now I wouldn't trust anyone enough to take my dog on a trip... :oops:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm

I have one friend who I hunt with a lot (more often with him than without him)

He took my last dog for a weekend.

That's something one should never ask. I volunteered that time, and would do it again with him. I couldn't go that weekend, but wanted my dog to run and get on the birds.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 pm

only my dad. no one else!

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:32 pm

This took me forever to find but I thought it was worth posting. I don't know if you will be able to read the article if you don't have a facebook account. Basically its a nightmare story about someone who lent their beloved GSP to friend to take out west to hunt. When I first read it I was horrified. Here's the link and I will try to repost the story incase you don't have a FB account.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/german-s ... 8031809706

Again, this is from the German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue Facebook Page from November, 21st 2010:

~~~~~
Male GSP Stolen in Chillicothe Ohio

Rocco is an 8 yo neutered GSP. His family lives in Columbus, OH. Rocco has always enjoyed his time in the field, and is an avid hunter (and a loved member of his family). Some close family friends were going to South Dakota to go hunting, so they took Rocco along with their own dogs. Rocco's family knew he would have a blast!!!

The family friend was not expected back until this weekend. However, he decided to return back to OH early. On Nov. 6, he stopped in Chillicothe, OH for gas. Rocco was stolen from his truck on that date. Their friend DID NOT INFORM THEM until this past FRIDAY! They immediately began e-mailing every GSP person they could find on the internet.

I received a plea from the owner yesterday. I recalled there had been an older male GSP in the Chillicothe pound recently. I was going to try to help him and find a foster, but I received an e-mail that he had been adopted from the shelter on Tuesday. When I received the owner's note, and the location of Chillicothe, I sent the photo of the dog from the shelter, and she confirmed it is HER DOG!

So, Rocco was at the shelter from the 8th until the 16th when he was adopted. He was on a stray hold from the 8th until the 12th.

If you know ANYTHING about Rocco (the shelter named him Badger), please contact me at msalyers@gsprescuene.org

Thank you for your time, and please feel free to forward this message to anyone you feel may be able to help or offer any assistance.

~~~~~~

The last I had heard they thought an old couple in an RV picked up the dog and no one could locate them. I never did hear if the family got their GSP back.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Ha, now what am I going to do without Breeze? Rooster will be shocked and appalled that she's not coming with us..... ha ha. I wouldn't take the brat pack with me anywhere - those boys of yours are bound to be big trouble in the field, plus they'd show up my dogs!

I *think* I'd let several folks take Gator - our GSP b/c she's easy to handle and gets along well. Rooster would likely not go with anyone but me or hubby or family or Lin (of course). Alternatively though, I don't think I'd ever take anyone's dog with me - I would be too worried about the "what if's."

p.s. headed to Wyoming for Sage Grouse this fall - hoping Rocks will be healed up from this dislocated hip.

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 pm

I have a lot of friends but only one I would trust with my dog!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 pm

I wouldn't.
If dog gets lost or injured ...................

Sounds like you have a problem with the guy's gun use. I've seen dogs shot by accident.

I wouldn't do it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 am

Three things that you don't lend out: your hunting dog, your shotgun, and your wife usually in that order.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 am

Only if they'd sign a contract.

Pay all vet bills if said dog gets injured.

Pay to replace dog at a set price I think he's worth if lost. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Then I won't have to say NO.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am

I won't be lending my dogs to these guys ever. Was kind of suprised that he even asked, he knows I can't stand the buddy and he gets aggravated at my guys range..... I didn't get out to SD last year really hoping to get the younger ones out there this year if we can find someone to go with. We did see a lot of hunting time in MO & KS. The whole conversation did get me thinking about who I would let them go with, the list is very short.

I had seen the Rocco story when it happened, was a bad deal. Think I would have knocked the friend up side the head.....

Elsa you would be one of the few I would trust with any one of my guys. The Brat Pack is great in the field and will hunt for anyone, a bit much in the house though :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 am

Doodle wrote:Three things that you don't lend out: your hunting dog, your shotgun, and your wife usually in that order.

Hey. I take exception to that. :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:19 am

I've been trying to give my husband away for years, so far no takers since he doesn't hunt :lol:

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 am

I would let any friend I would hunt with, take my dog. Now, I do have friends I would not hunt with, that certainly couldnt take my dog, under any circumstances. I had a lab (best dog Ive owned to date) that went on a few trips I couldnt make, its great for the dog IMO, hunt, hunt, hunt. I guess if you have irresponsible friends, of which I have some, I wouldnt do it, but those who know how to hunt and treat a dog, why wouldnt you??? Bailey went on 1 or 2 hunts every year that I couldnt make, it was good for her, good for my buddies, win win. Crazy not to IMO.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 am

Never ever ever ever ever uh uh, nope, not even my mother :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

Everyone is different, some freinds will treat your dog better than they do you. Others are freinds you leaver at home and never let borrow anything.(You know the ones that break crowbars). You also have to decide is your freindship strong enough if something happens to your dog. Good luck tuff choice.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 am

I would lend out my wife and kids before I loan out my dogs. I say definitely no.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:32 am

NEVER ! A good friend of ours who had a lab (was bred with my lab)wanted to take our lab duke to the lake. The baby was napping and we could not go so we said fine take duke to the lake he'll love it. Duke came back with a bloody face :( The story we got was duke fell out of the back of his truck on the way to the lake. We had no idea how fast he was going if he was driving all crazy or what. The friend didn't think it was a big deal and really never said sorry or anything . He was laughing as he told us the story . So after that we said no more .
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 am

There are certain people I would let take my dogs to hunt or to trial. But those people are far and few between.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Man, Im glad Im not friends with most of you. Brutal. Ya, dogs are exactly like a part of the family, but I let my kids go with friends to hunt. Im betting most wont let their dogs go cuz the dog can only be controlled by one guy, the owner. If the owner isnt there, the dog doesnt "hear" anything. Either that or your "friends" really arent friends.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

stlgsp wrote:Just wondering other people’s thoughts - Would you....or have you....let a friend take your dog on a week long hunting trip with out you going?
Yes....one person.

No
stigsp wrote:Was asked to go to ND this fall and can’t go when they’re going, was then asked if I’d consider letting them take one or two of my dogs.
The real issue is that I can't wrap my mind around someone asking that question more than any answer given.
It would be up to the dog owner to offer, seems to me.

Would I ever offer one or both of my dogs for such a hunt?
Yes, I could see a time when a personal illness would be no reason to end a dog's hunting days and my faith in an individual would allow that hunt to happen.

Would I ever take someone else's dogs hunting?
Maybe, for that one person and for reasons deemed sufficient for both the owner and the dogs.
I would tho I would be as uncomfortable with the responsibility as I would be honored by the responsibility.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm

My Father, THAT IS IT!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:44 pm

birddogger wrote:I would let only one person take one of my dogs on a trip like that. That would be my friend and hunting partner, Ron R.

Charlie
Same here Charlie, not that you would want to use any of my crazy dogs. Well, Bugsy and Meg are pretty stress free.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.