Skunk odor help :(

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Skunk odor help :(

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm

One of my dogs got into a skunk Saturday morning, right before our NAVHDA training day started. Not the kind of celebrity we were seeking. :D

So I did the baking soda, dish soap, h. peroxide treatment...and it worked terrific. It did not cut all the smell however, and she has that faint burnt type skunk smell to her face. I don't know if the mix usually eliminates 100% of the odor? I also know this was a super close hit, as she had either teeth marks or a couple claw marks on her lip, when she came out of the brush. :x I couldn't follow directions perfectly either, as I read that you were suppose to put it on a dry coat, and she'd been running through wet grass for 20 minutes--so that wasn't possible. So while she smells 98% better, and is entirely liveable, we have a dang dog show this weekend. From what I've read, the baking soda mix gets best results immediately, and probably won't fix the remaining issue. I washed her again tonite, with an odor eliminating pet shampoo I had from who knows when. It said for skunks on the label, and smelled like bubblegum while I was applying it. :roll: I think it cut the skunk smell a teeny bit, but I'd like not to have to wash her 20 more times, to find out it's effectiveness. Does anyone have any experience with anything that will 100% get rid of the smell? I can do Petsmart, Petco, or one of the farm stores tomorrow to pick something up. I could rewash with the baking soda mix again tomorrow, but it'll be 48 hours after the fact...

(and yes I changed the collar out) :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Skunk odor help :(

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 pm

I use "Nature's Miracle - Skunk Odor Remover ". It works great.It's a miracle. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 pm

I could care less about your Skunk issue :lol: :wink: and more about weather you and Clint are gonna make it to the training day the 30th or not ? I've never had a dog Jump a skunk (now that I say that I will ) so i have no real advice for you.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I have heard a combo of dawn dish det, Sunny bleach (that brand specifically) and water. No idea if it works but have heard it does. Sorry I do not know proportions. Will get tomorrow morning.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Scroll down, original Dawn dish soap works best.

http://www.terrierman.com/skunk.htm

If you have any pet odor enzyme cleaner, you can use it on the collar, too.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. :wink:

As far as the collars, her GDS soft rubber leather-like one is going to be a keeper. The Garmin nylon collar isn't great, but I just ordered an aftermarket one for it anyway, since it was all tore up. The TT e-collar absolutely smells like it just got sprayed, and that's after dipping it in the baking soda mix repeatedly and trying Fast Orange handcleaner 2x on it.

Gittr...thanks for nothing. :D I would have got her good with the e-collar, if I'd been able to see/know what was going on. I wish we could make the training day, but it's not going to happen. Clint is doing RAGBRAI (bicycling) & has his 20 year reunion that weekend. I hope you get a good turnout though and congrats on the new job!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:06 pm

have you tried tomatoe juice?? my mom use to use it on our dogs, they tried to play with skunks every chance they got so we had tonnes of the stuff in the cupboard.... :D ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 pm

tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner..it helps on the minor odors
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 pm

I use Orange Degreaser Soap (the stuff you wash with after working on cars). A tub of that works great. Skunk spray is oil, and it pulls the oil off.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 am

wems2371 - I had the same exact thing happen Saturday morning. We've had Jersey about a year and a half and this is already her third time getting sprayed! She can't leave them darn striped cats alone! We've had the same results as you with the baking soda, peroxide, dish soap concoction....it eliminates the marjoity of the scent but not quite all. This time around we added a freshly squeezed lemon, helped a little but not 100%.

Sharon - I'm going to pick up a bottle of that Nautres Miracle. Where did you get it from?

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:36 am

Try a tomatoe juice bath or straight White Vinager bath.
Dog On Point!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:19 am

You can try vinegar or tomato juice all you want, but all it does is trick your nose via olfactory fatigue. It does nothing to counteract the skunk spray.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 am

BTW, is there an "old formula" vs "new formual" issue with Nature's Miracle? It might be worth reading the reviews on Amazon before buying any.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 am

Greg Jennings wrote:BTW, is there an "old formula" vs "new formual" issue with Nature's Miracle? It might be worth reading the reviews on Amazon before buying any.
Old formula is sold under the branding Petastic.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:44 am

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 am

rkappes wrote:wems2371 - I had the same exact thing happen Saturday morning. We've had Jersey about a year and a half and this is already her third time getting sprayed! She can't leave them darn striped cats alone! We've had the same results as you with the baking soda, peroxide, dish soap concoction....it eliminates the marjoity of the scent but not quite all. This time around we added a freshly squeezed lemon, helped a little but not 100%.

Sharon - I'm going to pick up a bottle of that Natures Miracle. Where did you get it from?
PetSmart
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 am

This method works as well as anything I have tried.

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/skunk.html

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:01 pm

The dawn soap, peroxide and baking soda works great. The one time so far my dog got hit she got it right in the face. I didn't want to get the mix near her eyes so the smell didn't totally go away. I ended up washing her again the next day with a kids shampoo and it did a good job. I don't remember exactly what it was but it was a fruity kids no tears shampoo that I used to ger her face pretty well. The next day or two you could smell it if you got real close and tried, but it went away quickly.
It did lighten my liver Brittanys coat into a dark orange when I used it, she was tricolor for a month.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:28 pm

first you hit them with dawn dish soap.. get it deep down to their skin, let the soap sit on them for fifteen minutes then rinse and repeat. The big key to most of this is how long you let it sit, its called dwell time. You have to give the soap long enough to break down the oil protien mixture that is skunk smell. Dont use natures miracle, it flat out does not work.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:24 am

yall should really try the orange soap from the parts store. The degreaser soaps (usually an orange scent) followed up with a dawn.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 am

I've also heard reviews on using um... female douche... Though, that could be an awkward buy...
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm

LOL, there is no way I would go in the store and buy that.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 pm

How do you think us men feel when the wife sends us to the store for sanitary napkins or realted products?? :oops:

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

You poor men, so mistreated!

Atleast they know the girly products aren't for you! Don't think you'd want to blame your wife on my suggestion for skunk odor. Ha!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:33 pm

I can't think of anything that smells worse than dog drenched in skunk and Massengil :o

A vet I worked for used that formula. OMG the looks I got on the bus ride home!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm going to bump this one up because both of my bird dogs got sprayed tonight. The peroxide, baking soda and Dawn mix works best, is super cheap, and easy to get. Two quarts of peroxide and a box of baking soda was 2.65. I already had the Dawn. IT has to be Dawn because it has dispersants in it, and thanks to BP we all know what those are. This is the 7th time in 6 months I've had to de-skunk a dog, and nothing works better than this mix - 1 qt peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 tbs Dawn. Mix it up right before you use it, rub into the dogs fir dry, keep scrubbing the dog and let it soak for 5 minutes then rinse with warm water (if you can). I have a trapper friend that soaks his skunk pelts in this mix.