Neat idea....doggie dormer for bilco door

Karen
GDF Junkie

Neat idea....doggie dormer for bilco door

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:15 am

When we moved the dogs to John's house (Shnool) last summer, we realized that there just wasn't a good place for a dog door, and all the dogs had been raised with one....they were confined to an area of my house, had a dog door, fenced yard and all were able to come and go as they pleased when I was at work.

No sliding doors at Shnool's house...no back door, no garage walls inside the fence, and I was very against cutting a hole in the kitchen wall of a brand new house for a dog door. The best, most expensive dog doors are drafty.

Anyway, we hemmed and hawed over what we could do, then Shnool came up with the idea of a "doggie dormer" that fit over the bilco door.

We used regular plywood and cedar 2 x 4's...no pressure treated wood for safety sake, and then put 2 coats of a decent deck stain on it, so it's protected from the elements and it blends in.

As part of our project, we had the fence extended around the bilcos and fenced in a "dog yard" of appoximately 50' x 100', we leveled the fenceline and laid pavers around the entire area. We have Brittanys, and none have ever attempted to go over the fence, so we could do 4' fence, but if someone proves me wrong, we'll install invisible fence also.

Here's the dog yard:

Close up of pavers around the edge:

and we added an auto water bowl also:

The old man (he'll be 11 in July) figured the dog door out immediately. The other 2 were a little nervous about it, as the steps leading up to it are pretty steep, but 24 hours later they were flying up and down the steps like they'd been doing it forever.

Anyway, I thought it was a unique solution to what can't be an uncommon problem.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Neat idea....doggie dormer for bilco door

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:30 am

Pardon my ignorance. What is a Bilco? I gather that it is the door down into the basement. Did some searching and found some links, but no definition.

Is this something like "Kleenex" or "Band-Aid", where a brand of something is so popular that it becomes the generic name? Like "Kleenex" is used for "tissue".

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Yes, they're the doors down into the basement. Bilco is the most common manufacturer in our area, so most people refer to them as "bilco doors" around here. We took 1 side of the door off to accomodate the "doggie dormer". So far all appears very weatherproof.
ImageImage

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 am

Karen wrote:When we moved the dogs to John's house (Shnool) last summer, we realized that there just wasn't a good place for a dog door, and all the dogs had been raised with one....they were confined to an area of my house, had a dog door, fenced yard and all were able to come and go as they pleased when I was at work.

No sliding doors at Shnool's house...no back door, no garage walls inside the fence, and I was very against cutting a hole in the kitchen wall of a brand new house for a dog door. The best, most expensive dog doors are drafty.

Anyway, we hemmed and hawed over what we could do, then Shnool came up with the idea of a "doggie dormer" that fit over the bilco door.

We used regular plywood and cedar 2 x 4's...no pressure treated wood for safety sake, and then put 2 coats of a decent deck stain on it, so it's protected from the elements and it blends in.

As part of our project, we had the fence extended around the bilcos and fenced in a "dog yard" of appoximately 50' x 100', we leveled the fenceline and laid pavers around the entire area. We have Brittanys, and none have ever attempted to go over the fence, so we could do 4' fence, but if someone proves me wrong, we'll install invisible fence also.

Here's the dog yard:

Close up of pavers around the edge:

and we added an auto water bowl also:

The old man (he'll be 11 in July) figured the dog door out immediately. The other 2 were a little nervous about it, as the steps leading up to it are pretty steep, but 24 hours later they were flying up and down the steps like they'd been doing it forever.

Anyway, I thought it was a unique solution to what can't be an uncommon problem.
I wish our "Dog Yard" looked that nice... mine looks like the luftwaffe did a strafing and bombing run on it.. several times over! :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 am

If there is a tornado, will you have to go through the doggie door to get in the basement? :D

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 am

Pryor Creek Okie wrote:If there is a tornado, will you have to go through the doggie door to get in the basement? :D
No...we have access to the basement from the 1st floor of the house. There is also an exterior door at the bottom of the steps leading up to the dog door, so it's easy to lock the dogs inside when appropriate.
ImageImage

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 am

http://www.bilco.com/foundations/store/ ... ct=1BD-S-1

Bilco IS a brand like elevator, or escalator, or band-aid... but they are also one of the biggest names in basement storm doors. So much so that storm doors around here are called Bilcos.

But yes, at the bottom of the steps (pre cast) under the bilco brand door, we have a steel door. Then we will divide the basement off for the "dog room." Dogs can be released "outside" from the basement door, and they can come and go as they please to their own yard. From there if we are in the back (as we do a lot), they can be released from their yard into the back yard to roam the whole acre fenced in.

Karen says these were my ideas... I think maybe she forgets they were hers. I am impressed what she came up with!

PS: Expecting the dog yard to look like a baghdad road after bombing run in short order! heheheh.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:21 am

very creative, did you patten it?? if it was your creation i would!! thanks for sharing..ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 am

GUNDOGS wrote:very creative, did you patten it?? if it was your creation i would!! thanks for sharing..ruth :D
Nah, it was a problem solver for us. I thought I'd share in the event anyone else has the same issue.

We're about 2 weeks into this, and it's working beautifully. The dogs now fly up and down the steps and through the dog door. We've had some pretty strong storms go through, and not a drop of water in the basement, 2 of the 3 dogs are loose all day (one is due in season any day so she's crated), 1 is loose in the basement overnight (the exterior door is closed so he's locked down there), everyone is much happier. Once Tessa is out of season, she can also be loose during the day (until the puppies are due), and we can go ride horses and sail after work without worrying about dogs sitting with their legs crossed in their crates (or worse).
ImageImage