WHAT TITLE SHOULD I WORK ON NEXT? update..

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

WHAT TITLE SHOULD I WORK ON NEXT? update..

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 pm

I am new to the "test" world and jersey just got her NATURAL ABILITY PRIZE 1..now looking at the AKC, CKC and NAVHDA schedule for testing im left wondering which way to go first with her..i dont want to mess with her steadiness with the duck search which is what many knowledgeable people have told me is a possibility..i want her to be MH TITLED, UTILITY TITLED and FDX TITLED also we are entering her in confirmation shows this summer ( yes its going to be a busy year :D ), im a planner (obsessively) so im trying to figure it all out..have any of you worked on the AKC, CKC and NAVHDA titles and is there a recommended order i should follow?...thanks for any and all opinions and help.....ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: WHAT TITLE SHOULD I WORK ON NEXT?

Post by Chukar12 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:51 pm

I have no idea how to answer your question...but if I ever need any help in Canada I intend to hire you....

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Ask snips their fritz dog is the leading alphabet dog out there has more titles then name :D
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Ask snips their fritz dog is the leading alphabet dog out there has more titles then name
He has more letters behind his name than most of the proffs here where I work :) I dont tell em tho, dont want em to get all jealous and stuff :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed May 25, 2011 4:25 pm

gpblitz wrote:Most folks I know put a UT-1 on there dogs and play MH in prep for the Invitational
That would be FDX in the CKC system.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed May 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I think it should be Prime Minister of Canada...we need some more good bird doggers in high places :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 25, 2011 4:53 pm

slistoe wrote:
gpblitz wrote:Most folks I know put a UT-1 on there dogs and play MH in prep for the Invitational

Actually you can't jump to the top level (FDX) in CKC pointing breed dog tests.
You need to pass the other 2 levels first - 3 passes under 3 different judges.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Chukar12 wrote:I have no idea how to answer your question...but if I ever need any help in Canada I intend to hire you....
For you chuckar12 i would work for free, your ability to always make me laugh is priceless :D ....ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 25, 2011 5:14 pm

ymepointer wrote:I think it should be Prime Minister of Canada...we need some more good bird doggers in high places :D
Agreed, and my first project would be to cancel the welfare budget and put that money into habitat restoration and bird stocking :mrgreen: ...ruth

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Sharon wrote:
slistoe wrote:

Actually you can't jump to the top level (FDX) in CKC pointing breed dog tests.
You need to pass the other 2 levels first - 3 passes under 3 different judges.
I believe you can skip FDJr and enter the FD (AKC SH equivalent) directly. You can even enter FD and if unsuccessful go back to FDJr in the next test. Once you have passed an FD you may not enter FDJr. anymore.

PS - it is only under 2 different judges as well.
Last edited by slistoe on Wed May 25, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Well, I respect your knowledge so will acquiesce but :)

The CKC has a new thing they are promoting - you can stay at one level for as long as you want. 30 passes at FDJR- now that's an honor to be proud of.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Sharon wrote:Well, I respect your knowledge so will acquiesce but :)
I did refer to my 2010 Rules (Hmm.... I don't think they sent me a 2011 copy :? )
Sharon wrote:The CKC has a new thing they are promoting - you can stay at one level for as long as you want. 30 passes at FDJR- now that's an honor to be proud of.
Yeah, following the AKC lead :evil:
If folks in those Eastern clubs want to compete with their dogs they should darn well organize a Field TRIAL and COMPETE!

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Would be interested in others input, but couldn't you be looking at years of commitment? Is it possible to be going in too many directions at the same time?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 am

bossman wrote:Would be interested in others input, but couldn't you be looking at years of commitment? Is it possible to be going in too many directions at the same time?
I am ok with however long it takes to succeed in earning all the titles, i have the ability to test her in canada and in the states since she is reg in all the clubs and im close to the border so i can test quite often.. i just need some guidance as to what i should pursue and in what order is recommended..im new to the testing world but im ok with mulit testing in one weekend and i know jersey well enough to know shes ready for some of the entry title tests such as FDJ or UTP..any advice from folks who have done these tests and can recommend an order would be REALLY helpful.....thanks...ruth

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 am

If it was me, I would skip the equivalent of JH. Train the dog, *patiently* toward SW&S, do the SH when you're confident. Don't crank down too hard. From there, run some gun dog stakes and see how the dog does.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 am

Greg Jennings wrote:If it was me, I would skip the equivalent of JH. Train the dog, *patiently* toward SW&S, do the SH when you're confident. Don't crank down too hard. From there, run some gun dog stakes and see how the dog does.
thanks, is there an average age the dogs usually are that take the SH test? also i know i can look up the expectations of the dog at a SH test but if you dont mind could you tell me what is expected at the test..i REALLY would appreciate it...thanks..ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 am

For SH the dog has to be steady until the shot. Has to back but you can also collar them after. Depending on the judge you can give your dog a warning to back. Must also retrieve the bird and you can most likely take a step to get the bird. When I did SH with my dog she was about a year old.

Think field trials are more fun and if you have a puppy you might want to enter her in puppy stakes and see how she compares to other dogs. Since it doesn't look like you are wanting to get into FT you don't have much to loose.

If you ever get into field trailing you can meet some people that have spent millions on the game. You.want to see some tricks to make your dog run better and fix small problems in a hurry just ask them. Holly crux they have got that whole dog thing down and it can help you in all aspects in every game.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 am

I don't think it matters which field title you pursue. You're going to have to have a broke dog that retrieves to do it, so I'd start there. JMO.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 am

ultracarry wrote:For SH the dog has to be steady until the shot. Has to back but you can also collar them after. Depending on the judge you can give your dog a warning to back. Must also retrieve the bird and you can most likely take a step to get the bird. When I did SH with my dog she was about a year old.

Think field trials are more fun and if you have a puppy you might want to enter her in puppy stakes and see how she compares to other dogs. Since it doesn't look like you are wanting to get into FT you don't have much to loose.

If you ever get into field trailing you can meet some people that have spent millions on the game. You.want to see some tricks to make your dog run better and fix small problems in a hurry just ask them. Holly crux they have got that whole dog thing down and it can help you in all aspects in every game.
Sounds great, im stoked about getting her into some tests..i dont know how to even start as far as puppy stakes..who would i contact for that in my area of ONTARIO or MICHIGAN about them? and i think i will skip JH..she is steady until the shot now at 5 months BUT the retrieving TO HAND is what i need to work on...shes a retrieving machine but not always to hand she likes to drop it about 5 feet from me and wag her stub proudly..any suggestions to guarantee a retrieve to hand every time?...thanks alot for the help..ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu May 26, 2011 11:45 am

For field trials go to the AKC website and search events... click on the drag down menu that will prob say confirmation and click field trials. Then click on the state and hit search. Send the secretary a email for a premium when its available and enter her in walking open puppy and walking Amature puppy if available.

If she is dropping the bird five feet in front of you stop reaching for the bird if you are doing it and start petting her first and after you pet then get the bird from her. She would probably pass The SH its not as hard as some people make it out to be. might get marked down on the retrieve but not much.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:.i dont know how to even start as far as puppy stakes..who would i contact for that in my area of ONTARIO ..ruth
Unfortunately you are SOL anywhere east of Alberta for a puppy stake in CKC - maybe a couple of AF trials are running in ON and NB but they typically don't include puppy stakes if they anticipate a slate full of dogs.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm

slistoe wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:.i dont know how to even start as far as puppy stakes..who would i contact for that in my area of ONTARIO ..ruth
Unfortunately you are SOL anywhere east of Alberta for a puppy stake in CKC - maybe a couple of AF trials are running in ON and NB but they typically don't include puppy stakes if they anticipate a slate full of dogs.
Maybe i may be better off going to michigan?..looking at the schedules the U.S has WAY more test days available.....ruth

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu May 26, 2011 8:00 pm

I would start training for UT. There is no reason the duck search should hurt your dog’s steadiness. Plus, if done correctly, the duck search is fun for the dog, and provides an outlet for the dog to just enjoy itself. It’s almost a break from the pressures of training. However, before I train seriously for the duck search, I like to FF my dogs to ensure they will not give up until they make the retrieve.

Once the dog is steady, I would train backing, and run it with other dogs often during training. That is, if you plan to run MH and take your dog to the Invitational. Once I was done with UT, I would run MH (shouldn’t be that hard after UT). MH will give the dog experience running in braces with lots of different dogs, and help get it ready for the Invitational.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 27, 2011 4:55 am

Prairie Hunter wrote:I would start training for UT. There is no reason the duck search should hurt your dog’s steadiness. Plus, if done correctly, the duck search is fun for the dog, and provides an outlet for the dog to just enjoy itself. It’s almost a break from the pressures of training. However, before I train seriously for the duck search, I like to FF my dogs to ensure they will not give up until they make the retrieve.

Once the dog is steady, I would train backing, and run it with other dogs often during training. That is, if you plan to run MH and take your dog to the Invitational. Once I was done with UT, I would run MH (shouldn’t be that hard after UT). MH will give the dog experience running in braces with lots of different dogs, and help get it ready for the Invitational.
Thanks for the advice..i now know i need to make her retrieve to hand a priority with her training EVERYTIME..and i also know now i have to stop stepping in to get the bird from her when she drops it 5 feet from me..i see now ive unintentionally rewarded her doing that because i was just so happy at 5 months she is steady when she retrieved the bird and drops it 5 feet from me i have walked over and picked it up petting her up like crazy for getting that far in the hunt..i guess i have some work to do and plan to take the UT and the SH next.. i hope to get both titles this year, thats my new goal for us :D ...thanks...ruth

larry

Post by larry » Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 am

I feel 5 months is still to young to put much pressure on your pup. I would wait a few months before I got serious with force fetch. You can be doing some yard work on whoa and recalls. In the field I like release traps with a young dog, if the dog moves after pointing I pop the pigeon but give no comand, a lot of the dogs will begin to steady on thier own not wanting the bird to flush and I have not used any pressure. Summer time is great for swiming but I don't do duck search untill I have finished FF, but you could do a couple duck chases to get the pups water desire up.
Just go and have some fun with your pup this summer.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri May 27, 2011 6:35 am

larry wrote:I feel 5 months is still to young to put much pressure on your pup. I would wait a few months before I got serious with force fetch. You can be doing some yard work on whoa and recalls. In the field I like release traps with a young dog, if the dog moves after pointing I pop the pigeon but give no comand, a lot of the dogs will begin to steady on thier own not wanting the bird to flush and I have not used any pressure. Summer time is great for swiming but I don't do duck search untill I have finished FF, but you could do a couple duck chases to get the pups water desire up.
+2
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 27, 2011 8:34 am

Before anyone gets offended by what I'm about to say, please know that I dearly love NAVHDA. My training partner is whole-hog into NAVHDA and judges all over the country. I'll be the first to tell you that NAVHDA chapters do a better job of helping their members than AKC-based clubs.

The main problem...and one of only a very few...that I see with NAVHDA training is that people have a tendency to get on a schedule. I think this is because of the scarcity of good test slots. I.e., the tests are relatively infrequent and tend to fill up quickly.

I have to have this done by this time, to get that done by that time...yadda, yadda...for the test in May or my fallback test in early June. I hear it all the time.

That, too often, ends up with excess pressure on the dog and the dog springing a leak somewhere.

Much better, IMHO, to think first about patience and what the dog needs and let testing happen when the dog already shows you that it's capable.

Take that FWIW. I'm one person and not exactly an expert.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 27, 2011 10:10 am

gpblitz wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:Much better, IMHO, to think first about patience and what the dog needs and let testing happen when the dog already shows you that it's capable.
I could not agree more. That's why my youngest dog will not test at the invitational this year. I'll retest UT in Aug., run 4 more MH this spring. She's a very young talented dog put would like to give her 1 more year to mature. At times it's hard to hold back but in the long run better for the dog.
please excuse my lack of knowledge about tests gpblitz but did you already title your dog in the UT AND MH and are retesting simply for practice before the invitational? i didnt know you could retest if you passed already and if you do can you use the higher score?..also, some people i hunt with suggested for me not to put jersey in the NA test at 5 months, they waited until around 10 months to do the NA test with their dogs and even then one of their dogs didnt do well, but i put jersey in the test and she not only had a blast but did great and got a prize 1..now i do realize the more tests you take the more intense the training and pressure becomes but because i dont know much, as of the momen about the tests, what im wondering is can it really be a bad thing to enter her in say the SH after a few more months of training and at say 7 months old if i think she can do it then just go and try it?..again excuse the lack of knowledge but im trying to understand....thanks guys...ruth

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 am

To qualify for the Invitational, one has to have had a UT-1 within a certain number of months.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 am

larry wrote:I feel 5 months is still to young to put much pressure on your pup. I would wait a few months before I got serious with force fetch. You can be doing some yard work on whoa and recalls. In the field I like release traps with a young dog, if the dog moves after pointing I pop the pigeon but give no comand, a lot of the dogs will begin to steady on thier own not wanting the bird to flush and I have not used any pressure. Summer time is great for swiming but I don't do duck search untill I have finished FF, but you could do a couple duck chases to get the pups water desire up.
Thanks larry, i agree with not much pressure on her as well..i honestly dont have a clue how to force fetch, ive never trained a dog to FF so i will be seeking help from more experienced members/trainers for that..jersey is steady to the shot now and at the NA test it was so cold that one of the birds wouldnt flush by foot cause it was hunkered down so they picked up the bird and threw it, they couldnt believe jersey stayed still for that and were impressed for her age to do so..as far as water she would prefer to be in water rather than on land and we have been putting out decoys at our blind and having her retrieve the dummy to hand in the blind..she goes threw the decoys like an otter and for some reason retrieves to hand better in the blind than in the field, do you know why that may be?...thanks for the help i appreciate it all....ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri May 27, 2011 10:21 am

Have fun with the puppy. Get her a lot of exercise and go for it. Just don't put too much pressure on her. All you have to loose iS money for the entry fees...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri May 27, 2011 10:50 am

When you start running HT'S you might find there are alot of factors that can enter in to play...One thing is another dog. I train my dogs to stand thru blanks and gunshots before running SH...As yu blank birds on the back course and do not want them breaking at a shot there...You never know when you might have another dog interferring, birds doing whatever, gunners missing.....A pup just does not always have the maturity and experience to handle situations, which may cause undo pressure in order to pass....I just prefer my dogs to be at least 14-16 mo old before running SH....Plus you DO NOT want a youngster to get into a test and start breaking and finding out young they can get by with doing stuff wrong at a test...The longer yu have a dog handling their birds right before testing the better off they can handle what comes at them...
brenda

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:54 am

The longer yu have a dog handling their birds right before testing
....or trialing etc...
truer words have never been spoken, and OMG it is hard. They always fool me with their junior manners...and then...

larry

Post by larry » Fri May 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Your pup is now steady to flush and the shot of a blank. Things may change when the bird is shot and falls and the pup wants to run out and pick it up. At that point you usualy have to start putting more pressure on the pup. Take it slow for now and go at your pups pace. As far as FF I usually wait untill 9 months to a year before I start.

As far as NAVHDA testing, you can test a dog as many times as you want. The only restriction is NA has to be done by the pups 16 month birthday. All test scores are recorded on your dogs permanent record, but if your dog is bred only the highest prize for each type of test will show on the puppies pedigrees.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

larry wrote:Your pup is now steady to flush and the shot of a blank. Things may change when the bird is shot and falls and the pup wants to run out and pick it up. At that point you usualy have to start putting more pressure on the pup. Take it slow for now and go at your pups pace. As far as FF I usually wait untill 9 months to a year before I start.

As far as NAVHDA testing, you can test a dog as many times as you want. The only restriction is NA has to be done by the pups 16 month birthday. All test scores are recorded on your dogs permanent record, but if your dog is bred only the highest prize for each type of test will show on the puppies pedigrees.
Thanks for the info larry i didnt realize you could retest and they use the highest score, interesting...also we have shot many birds over jersey already..weve been shooting over her for about a month now..there are certain areas here we cant discharge a firearm so we use the pistol but for the most part we shoot birds for her..another thing i want to know is on the record does it show the pups age it takes the test?...very helpful info...ruth

larry

Post by larry » Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 am

On the pedigree it does not show the age, but the permenant records do. You can request a copy of any NAVHDA dogs test record and it will show all the info on every time it was tested. You can also request Sire and Dam reports which will show the test results for every pup that sire or dam whelped and was tested in all NAVHDA tests.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 31, 2011 6:27 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice, jersey has her NA PRIZE 1 and i decided yesterday to register her for her FDJ test and her UPT test..she will also be in a confirmation show this august..these 3 things are to be our next goals this summer..its all filled out and sent..hope i can post a few brags soon :D ...ruth

larry

Post by larry » Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Good luck Ruth and Jersey!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 am

larry wrote:Good luck Ruth and Jersey!
Thanks larry :mrgreen: i wasnt going to put her in the UPT test cause she probably will do fine in the UT test but its more for me and my husband since we are new to all the tests we would like to do them for practice and to see how the test works in prep for the UT next spring..im so excited to get there and do the test so thanks for all the advice and well wishes :D ....ruth and jersey

larry

Post by larry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm

To be truthful the UPT test was desined more for the new handler trainer than it was for the dogs.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:To qualify for the Invitational, one has to have had a UT-1 within a certain number of months.
Really?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Ruth take your time let the dog tell you what she can handle and go from there.

Larry give pretty fair advice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:57 am

larry wrote:To be truthful the UPT test was desined more for the new handler trainer than it was for the dogs.
that is also what ive been told by lots of NAVHDA members and after talking to jerseys breeder (brian) and talking to the folks at NAVHDA we have called the chapter and changed her test from the UPT to the UT test..we are going to go watch some UT tests over the summer to see how they handle their dogs and get as much info as we can and now her UT test is in OCTOBER instead of august so we have 4 months to get ready :D we are going out tomorrow to practice with a few ducks on duck search.....ruth

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:52 am

Ruth; Pretty much all has been said and suggested. You know your dog the best. But When you enter a dog into events where you run in braces, it is not only your dog you need to worry about. You need to train for things to go wrong. Other dogs can mess up your dogs training and thought process and will either make your dog more competitive, (which requires more manners a field) or shut down.
(Had this happen to me with my french brit, Buster behind a Weim that would not point the birds, all we needed for a pass was an honor in a MH, took me near 6 months to correct what happened) :evil: )

Also do not wait to long to teach backing/honoring. It is more difficult to teach when the dog is older, especially if your dog is stubborn and only wants to deal with its own birds or wants to steal point.

Like said a couple times the duck search will not hurt your steadiness.

(IMO)Personally, If your dog goes wild afield in a test, don't be afraid to give up the pass on that particular event and correct your dog. It can pay off down the road.

Keep and eye on your dogs body language and eyes, Keep it fun.
Good luck and have fun.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Ruth; Pretty much all has been said and suggested. You know your dog the best. But When you enter a dog into events where you run in braces, it is not only your dog you need to worry about. You need to train for things to go wrong. Other dogs can mess up your dogs training and thought process and will either make your dog more competitive, (which requires more manners a field) or shut down.
(Had this happen to me with my french brit, Buster behind a Weim that would not point the birds, all we needed for a pass was an honor in a MH, took me near 6 months to correct what happened) :evil: )

Also do not wait to long to teach backing/honoring. It is more difficult to teach when the dog is older, especially if your dog is stubborn and only wants to deal with its own birds or wants to steal point.

Like said a couple times the duck search will not hurt your steadiness.

(IMO)Personally, If your dog goes wild afield in a test, don't be afraid to give up the pass on that particular event and correct your dog. It can pay off down the road.

Keep and eye on your dogs body language and eyes, Keep it fun.
Good luck and have fun.
Rick
thanks Rick, we are going to begin working on her backing next weekend with a member and her weim..she is way more familiar with the tests and is going to help us out with what will be expected at the SH test as well..we sure have lots of work to do and im REALLY excited :D thanks for all the helpful advice, WOW its really something that our dogs know they are at a test and try to get away with things,although it shouldnt surprise me considering how smart they are but that still amazes me..i wonder if my evil eye would work on jersey in the test like it works for my kids in public when they misbehave :twisted: ..ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:32 am

JUST AN UPDATE: I just sent the paper work and fee for my husband and i to attend the HANDLERS CLINIC on AUGUST 20TH AND 21ST with our NAVHDA chapter..2 day course that you attend and start off in the class room and then go observe tests ect..looking forward to learning the NAVHDA test system AND preparing for jerseys U.T test...as always, thanks everyone for the help :D ....ruth

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:31 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
Chukar12 wrote:I have no idea how to answer your question...but if I ever need any help in Canada I intend to hire you....
For you chuckar12 i would work for free, your ability to always make me laugh is priceless :D ....ruth
So this guy walks into a bar...

Ha ha with a statement like that I'll start telling you all the jokes you want to hear... :lol:

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:49 pm

[quote="slistoeIf folks in those Eastern clubs want to compete with their dogs they should darn well organize a Field TRIAL and COMPETE![/quote]

Oh, that would be what I'm waiting for. FOr some reason, clubs in the east don't want to have one. I know that there was a club in Quebec that had a field trial last year, but it's mostly hunt tests here. Some trials would really be nice to mix it up a bit!!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 am

MTO4Life wrote:[quote="slistoeIf folks in those Eastern clubs want to compete with their dogs they should darn well organize a Field TRIAL and COMPETE!
Oh, that would be what I'm waiting for. FOr some reason, clubs in the east don't want to have one. I know that there was a club in Quebec that had a field trial last year, but it's mostly hunt tests here. Some trials would really be nice to mix it up a bit!![/quote]

So true, i can surely say tests and trials are something alot of us would like to get involved in more..i never thought in a million years i would get into tests and i was wrong, i certainly never thought i would want to get into trials and now i cant wait to go to one and observe.. hunting and training has always been very fullfilling but now i can see my glass was only have full all along :mrgreen: ...ruth