My first litter

MTO4Life

My first litter

Post by MTO4Life » Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi All,

I'm a hppy guy today as my girl Jasmine just had her first puppy last night. It was a big litter of one!! She is doing well and her little girl is doing very well also! It is my first litter so I'm pretty excited. I bred her to DC Wild Mtn's Shake Ya Tailfeather (Brian & Helen Riggle) who had a stellar spring trial season with a couple of AA wins, a big Gun Dog win and other placements. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this little star! Just thought I'd shout it out as I'm a happy guy!!

sully511

Re: My first litter

Post by sully511 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Congrats on your first litter!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun May 22, 2011 7:36 pm

That will be one chunky puppy since he won't have to fight for the portable chuck wagon..congratulations
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kylemac

Post by kylemac » Sun May 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Congrats - cute pup. :)

:?: Is it common for dogs to whelp just a single pup? I have never bred dogs, just assumed there were always multiple dogs in a litter. Do you still call it a litter when it is just one?

Just curious -- trying to learn what I can -- Thanks.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 am

Congrats, I am sure he will be a stud!

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 23, 2011 7:58 am

kylemac wrote:Congrats - cute pup. :)

:?: Is it common for dogs to whelp just a single pup? I have never bred dogs, just assumed there were always multiple dogs in a litter. Do you still call it a litter when it is just one?

It was her first litter, and sometimes the first litters are small/smaller. As well, I was told that she was in excellent shape, and that, combined with her first litter could drop the numbers. However, who knows? I'm not sure. I know the guy I bought Jasmine from had a good sized litter with her, but his girls first litter only had one pup I believe as well. Perhaps some of the breeders out there will be able to shed more light on the issue...

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:58 am

A litter of one happens. Ardoise's 2nd litter was just one. She has had 2 litters of 7 and one litter of 4 also.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 am

oh how adorable..are you keeping the pup? also you should name her STAR :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 23, 2011 11:28 am

kylemac wrote:Congrats - cute pup. :)

In the parlance of dog breeding, a pup from a litter of one is called a "singleton" and the litter is referred to as a "singleton litter." It is more common with mothers who are young or older (5+ years) at the first whelp, and small breeds. Some breeders will put rolled towels or stuffed toys with the puppy when its mother leaves it, so it doesn't feel isolated. I don't know if that has any effect or not, but if you use stuffed animals, it makes a very cute puppy picture at about four weeks. :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Beautiful puppy...was she born bobbed or is that the angle of the picture?

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Beautiful puppy...was she born bobbed or is that the angle of the picture?
No, she has a tail, just the angle of the picture!
GUNDOGS wrote:oh how adorable..are you keeping the pup? also you should name her STAR :D ...ruth
I'm not keeping the puppy. I had a few buyers for this proposed litter, and since this is the only one, there will only be one lucky owner!! It'll be fun raising her for 8 weeks.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:25 pm

You might want to look into what Susan Garrett has done with her singleton pup she recently had. She is a big time agility person, but socialization concepts are the same regardless of what the pup ends up doing in life. She has a blog and a facebook page. This link is for her blog and there is alot more info on the FB page. She had some EXCELLENT ideas for raising singleton pups. http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2011/ ... dventures/

Kall It Action

Post by Kall It Action » Thu May 26, 2011 1:21 am

OMG...what an adorable pup!! Congrats on your litter. Please post new pictures as the pups grow.
~Chari~
"You can't run a dog based on color."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the Stars."
"Do one thing everyday that scares you. It lets you know you're alive."

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 am

YEs the biggest thing you do want to do with your pup is stimulate often things like just move your hands bumping the pup like its siblings would this starts a chain reaction of awakening the pup which stimulates their system

I raise with a bit modified version of the New Skete method where I pinch the toes and the ears rub the back and lightly roll the pup in my hands ...this stimulation also helps to stimulate the endorphins which increases the immune system and also helps the balance of the pups.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:28 pm

If I may can I ask a question? How pregnant did your female look before the birth? I have a young GSP that I don't think is bred but if she is its a small litter (possible single). She doesn't look "pregnant" but has chubbed up a little. I know the easy way to find out would be to x-ray her but I'm cheap. Dont' want to spend $50 bucks for nothing.
Thanks for the info
Ross

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:09 am

I have sad news. Ryley, the pup, passed away this morning at two weeks of age. We aren't sure what happened, but she just started fading, and then quit eating. She then stabilized, but started to decline again. The vet tried everything, IV drips, oxygen etc, but the poor soul couldn't hang on. I'm sure she's in a better place. Rest in Peace Ryley...

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:10 am

hunterw/newhobby wrote:If I may can I ask a question? How pregnant did your female look before the birth? I have a young GSP that I don't think is bred but if she is its a small litter (possible single). She doesn't look "pregnant" but has chubbed up a little. I know the easy way to find out would be to x-ray her but I'm cheap. Dont' want to spend $50 bucks for nothing.
Thanks for the info
Ross
She didn't look 'pregnant' until the last couple of weeks, and then she only beefed up a bit. I figured she was as she acted a bit different (probably the hormones) and there was mammary development.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Ditto on the Sorry for your loss :(

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:52 pm

MTO4Life wrote:I have sad news. Ryley, the pup, passed away this morning at two weeks of age. We aren't sure what happened, but she just started fading, and then quit eating. She then stabilized, but started to decline again. The vet tried everything, IV drips, oxygen etc, but the poor soul couldn't hang on. I'm sure she's in a better place. Rest in Peace Ryley...
I'm very sorry. That is what is know as fading puppy syndrome and it seems to follow certain developmental milestones in the puppy's first few weeks. Think of it as Ryley's body as not having the instructions to make the next step in development, after her eyes opened. I have documented quite a few litters of different breeds from my own and friends' experiences over the years and the results are fairly consistent.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.