Dog DNA

MikeAZ

Dog DNA

Post by MikeAZ » Sun May 15, 2011 1:59 pm

I see a lot of mention of DNA testing for dogs when it comes to different dog/kennel clubs.

Can I get my dogs DNA tested and get AKC papers from the DNA tests? The reason I ask is that the guy I got her from is a bit slow in getting me my documents, so I was wondering if in the meantime this might work?

I understand that DNA can establish lineage and possibly genetic predispositions, but what else can be gleaned/gained from having the testing done?

Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Dog DNA

Post by kninebirddog » Sun May 15, 2011 2:14 pm

MikeAZ wrote:I see a lot of mention of DNA testing for dogs when it comes to different dog/kennel clubs.

Can I get my dogs DNA tested and get AKC papers from the DNA tests? The reason I ask is that the guy I got her from is a bit slow in getting me my documents, so I was wondering if in the meantime this might work?

I understand that DNA can establish lineage and possibly genetic predispositions, but what else can be gleaned/gained from having the testing done?

Thanks.
DNA can only establish of a certain DNA'd Sire or Dam is your dogs/pup sire or dam

and No You are pretty much SOL till the person you got your pup done gets their paper work in order it is Not AKC problem when a person buys a pup from a breeder who doesn't have their paper work in order...They get 100's of calls daily from this very thing.

Either the breeder just didn't get it done which with AKC a person can have their litter papers in about a week if they own dam and sire or both Dam and Sire owners have email and provided the dam and sire are registered one hold up which ehre again only takes 3 weeks and if the litter registration had been started right away they would have known the sire needed to have the DNA done which 4 weeks from ordering DNA to having the DNA results so again a pup by the time it is 7 -8 weeks old should have their papers even if they did it by snail mail.

So
Good Luck Hope you get your paper work
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MikeAZ

Post by MikeAZ » Sun May 15, 2011 2:16 pm

I got the dog from a private seller who wasn't able to keep her anymore. The papers aren't a huge deal to me, I have no intention of breeding her, I was just curious about it.

At some point I am sure the papers will end up in my mailbox, in the meantime I just keep on training the dog.

Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 pm

The case of displaced papers...If they registered her they can order a copy from AKC if not they have to find the papers they got from the breeder and if they didn't fill anything out then you can fill them and pay the late fees for late registration if they filled it out but never sent it in then they will have to register her and then send you the signed Reg cert paper to you..if you go and erase/alter what was on the paper AKC may refuse the papers
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun May 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Was the dog individually registered to the person you got her from? If not, you can go to her breeder and have them request a replacement blue slip. It could be pricey.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MikeAZ

Post by MikeAZ » Sun May 15, 2011 3:12 pm

I think the original owner has the papers but never filled them out. He has the entire "packet", including the paperwork for the identification chip that he never filled out. I was told he would have to find them and when he did, he would send them to me.

Papers aside, it's more about whether or not to have her fixed. I am not a breeder, don't want to run a puppy mill and would only consider breeding this dog is the circumstances were right. Part of that would be her having a good blood line etc.

Other than that, I am more into hunting than anything else. Absent any of her documentation, I am probably just going to have her spayed.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun May 15, 2011 3:24 pm

MikeAZ wrote:I think the original owner has the papers but never filled them out. He has the entire "packet", including the paperwork for the identification chip that he never filled out. I was told he would have to find them and when he did, he would send them to me.

Papers aside, it's more about whether or not to have her fixed. I am not a breeder, don't want to run a puppy mill and would only consider breeding this dog is the circumstances were right. Part of that would be her having a good blood line etc.

Other than that, I am more into hunting than anything else. Absent any of her documentation, I am probably just going to have her spayed.
Puppies can be a chore ..First thing to think of out side of health and making sure she has all the right stuff and finding a sire with the right stuff and aligning pedigrees together ..What will you do with Puppies that do not sell?

but out side of that..if he finds the packet and didn't fill anything depending on the age where will be the reg fee plus a late reg fee and if you want to know her lines getting a pedigree so with all of that you are probably looking at about 101.00
20.00 registration
65.00 Late fee if over 1 year from litter registration date
16.00 for 3 generation pedigree