Flight pen size?

jimbo&rooster

Flight pen size?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 am

i am about to start training toward SH level testing, as such I will obviously need some birds to use and do not want to depend soley on pigeons. I have a local game preserve that has a bunch of quail left over from the fall and He has made me an outstanding deal on them. My question is,.... How big does a flight pen need to be to house say 20 birds at a time? I was thinking of making a 10x10 dog kennel into a pen and putting a small shelter off to one end. would this be sufficient for these birds? my wife has a Lab puppy running around the yard that i assume will do his best to keep them flying.

thanks
JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

displaced_texan

Re: Flight pen size?

Post by displaced_texan » Fri May 06, 2011 6:52 am

The guy I used to buy birds from had a flight pen that was probably 30' x 100'... Great flying birds.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 am

The bigger the better! I like some length to the pens so they can really fly some distance. If you're only keeping birds a few days to a week, what you are thinking is probably sufficient. If you plan to keep birds much longer, I would build something much longer. I want good flying birds!!!

Nitrex

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 am

Johnny houses concentrate on teaching the birds to fly up, not a distance thing. Makes it easier to keep them as the bottom and sides are hard with wire at the top below the roop, they fly up to see out.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Hotpepper wrote:Johnny houses concentrate on teaching the birds to fly up, not a distance thing. Makes it easier to keep them as the bottom and sides are hard with wire at the top below the roop, they fly up to see out.

Pepper
And birds that have to fly vertically a lot stay in better shape than a short horizonical flight. I've raised them in a barrel and they fly pretty well since they have to fly up and down alot.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.