a black English Setter?

WiskeyJaR

a black English Setter?

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed May 04, 2011 9:34 pm

I was out to a local bird preserve and seen what looked like an english setter. Dog was solid black from what I could see, standing on edge of field like I was. The dog's head was shaped like an E.S., had the leg and tail "feathering" like an E.S. Guess it coulda been a Gordon, I couldn't see any brown patterns on the dog like a Gordie has.

The "handler" seemed fairly intent on working with his dog, so didnt interupt him at all. Was waiting on side of field untill he was done when my dog starting whining and barking at other dog, so left area before talking with the man.

All English Setters I have seen in person or even pictures, all seem to have a white body with color patches, never seen a solid color E.S. before. Do they exist?

WiskeyJaR

Firemedic

Re: a black English Setter?

Post by Firemedic » Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Are you sure it wasn't a flat coat retriever?

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Might have been. I always thought the flat coats where a thick dog like a lab. This one was thinner framed, I may be way of base here, as I'm no dog expert for sure.

Dog's tail was high on point, both front legs on ground and leaning forward. Looked real sharp in point.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu May 05, 2011 4:56 am

I don't know how close a look you got at the dog ..... could it have been a dark coloured Munsterlander ? There are fairly lightly built Flatcoats too and this breed often does point so it may have been one of them. I've never seen a black setter.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 am

WiskeyJaR wrote:Might have been. I always thought the flat coats where a thick dog like a lab. This one was thinner framed, I may be way of base here, as I'm no dog expert for sure.

Dog's tail was high on point, both front legs on ground and leaning forward. Looked real sharp in point.
If it was pointing, them if definitely wasn't a flat coat. Unless, they started selling them in the same isle as pointing labs.

solon

Post by solon » Thu May 05, 2011 5:58 am

Bill Holton, manager of the Cover Dog message board has an all black English Setter.

Solon

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu May 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Doubt it was a solid color L.M. Didn't look or act like me Dutchess. might have been a flat coat the more I think aboout it. Wish I woulda talked to the owner...<shrugs>

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:10 pm

There is a wide range of black-and-tan color on Gordons. Some appear to be all black, especially if seen from a little distance. This is an extremely well-bred top field trial (and foot-hunting, if that's what you're doing) Gordon. He pointed as you describes, as do many trial-bred Gordons. I described him to non-dog people who had never heard of one as "visually like a more-heavily-boned black Irish Setter". Not mentally though. thank goodness.

Yahoo

Post by Yahoo » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

solon wrote:Bill Holton, manager of the Cover Dog message board has an all black English Setter.

Solon
Bills dog is a cross between an E Setter and a Red Setter.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun May 08, 2011 11:55 am

Steve your dog looks real simlair to what I saw, 'cept the hair and feathering was more flat then curly. But head shape seems to be simliar.

Heck it coulda been a "heintz 57" dog for all I know.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Mon May 09, 2011 8:22 pm

It could have been a Blue Picardy Spaniel. There are not many around but there are a couple of breeders in Canada. The breed is basically a French version of the English Setter (with plenty of actual English setter in modern lines). It can be almost all black, but most have some white ticking. This is a Blue Picardy (épagneul bleu de Picardie)

and so it this

And this is a Picardy Spaniel (épagneul Picard). They are white, brown and tan and are said to have a lot of Gordon in them.

I have more photos of both on my website http://www.dogwilling.ca and blog http://www.pointingdogblog.blogspot.com

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue May 10, 2011 9:43 am

Steve007,
Hay Steve Great Gordon picture sir, unless it was the mans dog Solon was talking about, I am betting this gentlemen saw an old time Gordon Grouse dog like yours.
Beautiful dogs sir, simply beautiful and their personallities are just incredible. Just looking at the your dog with his head cocked, I will tell you that dog would have been a welcome addition to our Grouse dog Kennel, that boy knows who those birds belong too.
RGD/Dave