Trying to pick an E Collar?

Keith White

Trying to pick an E Collar?

Post by Keith White » Tue May 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Trying to decide between a Sport Dog 1825 and the Tri-tronics Upland Special G3 Exp. I like the small size of the Sportdog collar so that it can hang it on a lanyard but I like all the bang you get for your buck with the Tri-tronics collar (included beeper). I have been told that there is a beeper coming out next year that will work with the Sportdog 1825 but I know there is a chance it won't happen. Is it easier to use a smaller unit while training or a larger unit that you have to hold in your hand or in a holster? I would like to get the opinion of guys who have used both types. Thanks

willt

Re: Trying to pick an E Collar?

Post by willt » Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Tri Tronics all the way. :mrgreen: It's not all that big and expandable up to three dogs.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Tri Tronics even though those smaller transmitter seem easier to carry the TT Transmitters are easier to control in the hand
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm

For a beeper collar, I would go with a ogtra 2500 T&B. Unless Tri-Tronics did a complete revamp of their beeper system it was cumbersome to change modes to say the least, and to locate you turnrd the beeper on and off with the transmitter.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Tue May 03, 2011 8:41 pm

I thought being able to turn the beeper on and off with the transmitter would be a plus. Are you saying its not?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm

The new Beeper collars at TT are pretty nice and easier to change the tones now
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I use a TT Sport Basic G3 - 3 collars for 3 dogs- no problems . Have had it at least 6 years. Small enough to carry on a lanyard.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed May 04, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue May 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I've been using a G3 for 4 years now, been very happy with it, beeper is a little clunky to change modes is the only gripe. I've used it in snow, rain, and my last EP loved to wade, it was submerged many times. No issues.

I'd thought about upgrading to the new beeper, but I'm thinking I won't need it, I'm planning on an Astro before the nest season.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 04, 2011 5:01 am

TT is much easier to use - just set it at something reasonable and you get 3 levels by just moving your thumb. Not so with the SD - you have to look at the dial, hope the paint hasn't worn off the numbers, then hope the darn thing works. My TT is on my training belt, and my SD is sitting in the closet collecting dust.

SCKennel

Post by SCKennel » Wed May 04, 2011 7:37 am

Tri Tronics is the only way to go!!

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Wed May 04, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm a Tri - Tronics man myself.

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 am

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Tri-tronics it is!