Pigeon Food

aeast8

Pigeon Food

Post by aeast8 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:13 am

Brought my first 15 pigeons yesterday and was wondering what is acceptable to feed them. I had some left over "gamebird" pellets from my quail that I am using right now. I also found some "All Flock" at local feed store. Are these two ok to use? The gentleman that I bought the pigeons from says he uses "Land Mash" but I can't find it at store.

Thanks for the help.

brad27

Re: Pigeon Food

Post by brad27 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:00 pm

i use a pigeon feed from my local feed store. $20 for 50lbs. they seem to like it.

are these homing pigeons or commons you have? if just commons, and you weren't going to keep them very long, i would just feed them what ever they would eat. if homing, i would look at getting a made for pigeons blend.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 pm

I have homers and they are getting whole corn. They have plenty of grit and it's worked for me.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 pm

We use mash, try TSC stores theres lots of them in kansas (i noticed your location)..if they dont have any in stock they will order it for you..but as was already stated by Brad27 if your not keeping them long feed them whatever theyll eat, you can get 50 pounds of scratch grain for 12 bucks at feed stores in your area, heres a link to call some....ruth

http://www.yellowpages.com/kansas-city-mo/feed-store
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

gdog

Post by gdog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I normally buy whole corn and milo. Mix it up and good to go. Get 50lb bags of each for close to the same price as 1 bag of pigeon mix. This is for homers I've had for a long time.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I feed poultry starter/game bird pellets. 20% protein I think 3% fat. They do very well on this. At my mill it cost 13.50 a bag.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I use to use gamebird crumbles. Then I went to chicken layer crumbles, which is about 2/3 the cost for me. I've mixed in cracked corn, although some folks don't agree with cracked corn, I've yet to have a problem. I've recently mixed whole corn with chicken scratch grains. The chicken scratch grain is oats, cracked corn, whole milo, & soybean oil. The birds really like it--except for the quantity of oats. They eat some oats, but there's always pure oats left at the bottom of the feeder, when it's time to refill.

Unfortunately I noticed the last time I picked up grain, that all the bags had the same price, but had been downsized from 50 lbs to 40 lbs. :x

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:44 pm

wems2371 wrote:I use to use gamebird crumbles. Then I went to chicken layer crumbles, which is about 2/3 the cost for me. I've mixed in cracked corn, although some folks don't agree with cracked corn, I've yet to have a problem. I've recently mixed whole corn with chicken scratch grains. The chicken scratch grain is oats, cracked corn, whole milo, & soybean oil. The birds really like it--except for the quantity of oats. They eat some oats, but there's always pure oats left at the bottom of the feeder, when it's time to refill.

Unfortunately I noticed the last time I picked up grain, that all the bags had the same price, but had been downsized from 50 lbs to 40 lbs. :x
I Feed the scratch grains as well and when i noticed the oats not being eating I went and had my dad crack them for me and now they clean everything up, and I've always feed cracked corn without a problem I mix in some layer crumbles and the go nuts over it.

c.rhea

Post by c.rhea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:22 am

Strait barley with grit available to the birds. The birds fly great and stay trim. They wont over eat barley.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 pm

c.rhea wrote:Strait barley with grit available to the birds. The birds fly great and stay trim. They wont over eat barley.
Nothing overeats barley. It is the poorest grain we have plus rather unpalitable. We feed a little barley in the pigeon mixtures sometimes so we can tell if they are getting enough feed. When they start eating the barley you know they are hungry. Plus it is just as good in dog or livestock feed. The one plus is it is hard to digest and consequently the carbs the animals get from it last longer in the gut.

Many flyers feed barley the day after a race to allow the birds to empty out the digestive tract and be ready for the good feeds that they feed the two or three days before the next race.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Cracked corn and sunflower seeds.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:31 pm

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:Cracked corn and sunflower seeds.
I know some of you are feeding cracked corn and sooner or later you will get in trouble with your young birds. Plus I don't understand why you would pay more for a feed that will cause problems over just plain shelled corn.

For birds you are keeping for short periods you will be OK feeding corn in the summer but the birds do not want it if given a choice. They want a cooler feed in summer but then we eat the corn first in the winter. I would suggest for those of you feeding just corn that you buy the Layer Flock PELLETS and you can even skip the grit if you want.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 pm

I also feed layer pellets from TSC. No grit necessary and the pigeons are very healthy.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 am

Not trying to get into an arguement over pigeon feed but I've fed "crumbles" and the one downfall to it, is that if it get's wet, I noticed it just turning into paste.

Whole corn is "bleep" cheap, I have a bag of grit that was given to me and there is no way I'll go through it, and corn is a good source of energy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:19 am

Crumbles do not work well as the birds do not like the fines in them. And you will get feed caking in the feeders if there is any left.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 am

You might wanna try donuts. I walk by a deli everyday and the NYC pigeons rip the garbage bags open and fight over the jelly donuts.

:lol:

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Feed what's good for them the same as you do for your dogs.Commercial pigeon feed- it has everything they need.They're an invaluable training tool,Take care of them the same as you do your dogs and other equipment. All whole corn is too hot in carbohydrates(especially in the Summer)and it adds extra weight.They do need it in the Winter for extra fat content.Scratch feed or cracked corn will cause canker in them. If you don't have access to commercial pigeon feed get 40lbs of wild bird seed at Walmart and add 20lbs of whole corn.You depend on them to train your dogs,they depend on you to feed them properly.They also need grit(red pigeon grit not chicken grit)grit is what helps them to digest their food in their gizzard.Properly fed birds stay healthy and perform for you better every day when you need them.
Dog On Point!!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Checkers Pigeon Chow

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:53 pm

I've been feeding Layena Crumbles since last spring, and every bird I've had has done very well on it - chickens, pigeons, quail, chukar, and ducks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 pm

nj gsp wrote:I've been feeding Layena Crumbles since last spring, and every bird I've had has done very well on it - chickens, pigeons, quail, chukar, and ducks.

Its a good feed, but I want it in a short pellet. Hard to come by.

Ezzy