Pup goes into a frenzy

t-setter

Pup goes into a frenzy

Post by t-setter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Have a 10-month old setter that goes absolutely bonkers anytime he sees cats, rabbits or birds in the yard. He runs from window to window, pawing at each one, slobbering and panting. Then he runs to the sliding glass door and scratches at it to go out. This can go on for well over an hour -- or until whatever animal he's frothing over disappears. I would appreciate any suggestions for getting this problem under control.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup goes into a frenzy

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm

I can honestly tell you i dont have the prey issue with my dogs never have so guess i lucked out on that one..from the time they were really little if they even looked at a squirrel they got a tug on the leash or check cord and new i meant it was not acceptable for them to show interest in trash..but a guy we hunt with has 4 labs that were squirrel CRAZY and he was telling us he used the ecollar to trash break them..every time they began to chase or even looked interested in them he gave them a hit on the ecollar to associate the squirrels with the shock but not associate the shock with him..your dog being 10 months is old enough for an ecollar, also as best as you can i would keep him away from the windows to avoid the excitement, i dont allow mine to look out just for that reason, when they are out on walks or out in the yard they see all they need to see.. looking out windows to me encourages guarding behaviour and barking ect..good luck....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

If you can get a leash or lead on the dog and get control of him. Get him to settle down and don't talk or yell at the dog just get control if needed give a collar jerks to divert the dogs attention to you. That same mindlessness will happen in the field
a figure 8 can help also http://www.huntsmith.com/articles/the-figure-8.html
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

t-setter

Post by t-setter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks for your help. I noticed that both responses to my question indicated I was not to say anything when correcting with either the e-collar or with collar jerks. Is there a reason that I would not want my dog to know that I was displeased with his behavior?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:28 pm

when you yell or hollar your voice will only add to the frenzy as to the dog he will think you are "barking with him " plus actions speak far louder then words do.

When you go and get control of him the dog will know your are communicating to him and it will be for the state of mind he is in and it is the very thing you need to redirect him out of plus a dog that is so hyped up and focused so hard on something else needs to get a dose of attention..Again this is a redirect it isn't about making him afraid of you just enough so you are getting his attention to bring them back to reality some times it takes a little and some dogs need a dose or two of a good collar jerk to snap them out of the frenzy but once you really get the attention once or twice it should be that hard if you are fair just and mean what you are doing. and do not get mad as anger will not get you anywhere

then add everytime you command your dog and you do not follow through you are only teaching the dog that words have no meaning and no consequences.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.