Raising Hungarian Partridge

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Raising Hungarian Partridge

Post by nikegundog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Anyone ever try raising Hungarian Partridge? Are they even available and if so at what price and where would I find them? They use to be quite common in my area thirty years ago, now I rarely see them. I have a young dog to train and if the price wasn't extremely high, I would think about raising some for training, then I could always chase them around come hunting season.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Raising Hungarian Partridge

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Not sure where to tell ya to get them....an internet search should at least yield an egg source. Finding chicks may be next to impossible.

They are the hardest of the big 4 to raise and eggs , chicks and birds are on the expensive side because of it.

Bonus is they are the funnest to try and shoot, them birds can get outta town quick.

I raised about 100 a few years back.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:04 am

Some 20 years ago or so. I had some. Got them as day old chicks from a guy in MA. He put chuckar chicks in the boxes with the Huns. He said that for the first week or two they were kind of numb and would die because the would not move around. The Chuckars would run around more keeping the Huns wound up some. They all made it and I actually released some of them where I was training and kept some for direct hands on. I liked them but they are expensive as adult birds. So I use chuckars mostly now. Don't have much to offer.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:26 am

I did some research last night found out they are tough to find. Most of the places that use to have them, no longer stock them. Some sell them only as eggs or adults.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:00 am

Marty Zukovich(Pa) has them every year and so does Matt Mentz of Seneca Gamebird Farm(NY),but they usaully go fast.
Marty's link below and Matt's e-mail.They both ship.Last time I checked the Huns were going for 9.00 ea.
Another bird you may want to try are Tennesee Bobwhite quail.They flush and fly just about as strong as the huns and are the closest things to Wild birds as I've seen the same as the huns.

http://zukovichgamebirds.homestead.com
matt mentz <klirm@live.com>
Dog On Point!!

jczv

Post by jczv » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Don't have any personal experience but everyone I know who uses huns seems to like them (other then the price).

There's three places in Wisconsin that have sold them (but I don't know if they do currently).

McPharland and Touble near Janesville and Cranberry Creek near Nekoosa which is at least closer to Minnesota.

http://www.crancreekgamebirds.com/index.html

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 am

They have them for free in the shelterbelts around here. :wink: :lol: Very strong flyers. Sorry, couldn't resist. They are fun birds to hunt for sure.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.