Right age for an e collar

Ranger351

Right age for an e collar

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm kinda new to this so picking up info every where I can. Whats the best age to start working a dog with an e collar?

CowboyBirdDogs

Re: Right age for an e collar

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm

You're going to get a lot of different opinions, and most of it depends on the individual dog but I'd say around a year.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

I start mine wearing one when we're out on a walk or doing yard work at around 4-5 months. I introduce collar stimulation at a low level at around 6 months and I utilize the perfect start method of introduction.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:52 pm

It has more to do with how you prep a dog

i begin teaching my dogs cues as little puppies with the leash and check cord tugs taps are for movements commands move with me or if I am standing still move to me...then a constant for stand still

I work this then with the command lead and then continue teaching points of contact and then over lay the e collar if you have a method and have the e collars which have those light levels of stimulation you can conceivably start them younger
I like to get my young dogs started with go with me games in the field..the e collar is used just like the check cord was used.

but again I stress have a method feel comfortable with the method and the collar as it is far better to wait till You have more confidence in what you are doing then start to early and get frustrated and have a set back :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Around 4-5 months, then get them conditioned to it quickly - because they start blowing me off around 5-6 months in free runs.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:46 pm

+1 on what Shags stated.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 am

"Around 4-5 months, then get them conditioned to it quickly - because they start blowing me off around 5-6 months in free runs."

Agreed.

Let them wear it a few weeks or one week before you start to use it.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:15 am

Ranger,
There is not specific age, it all depends on the animals maturity, some breeds are real soft and we do not like to put the collar on these dogs till around 5 or 6 months,
others mature quickly and we have our Pet-Fafe yard collars on them at 3 or 4 months. You can put the T&B collar on them and use the beeper even before the dog is mature enough to understand what he or she is learning, but never use the e-collar unit at this early immature age. It all comes back to the maturity of he animal.
RGD/Dave

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:59 am

Have you ever used an e-collar in training before? If not, you need to remember that it is nothing more than a training aid and you need to teach the dog what is expected of it before you graduate to the collar. Additionally, when in doubt whether the dog knows what is expected/what it has done/is doing wrong keep your finger off the button AND when your finger is on the button keep your mouth closed. A collar is a great tool when used correctly but a whole lot of problems have been caused and even dogs ruined by people using collars when they don't know what they are doing.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Good informantion above. I will even tape a AAA or AA battery to the regular collar at 3 or 4 months from time to time just to get the pup use to the extra weight. Then I'll transition to a "dummy" collar. I will make it a point that the pup has good times while wearing the extra weight. Just a thought

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm

bossman wrote:Good informantion above. I will even tape a AAA or AA battery to the regular collar at 3 or 4 months from time to time just to get the pup use to the extra weight. Then I'll transition to a "dummy" collar. I will make it a point that the pup has good times while wearing the extra weight. Just a thought

this is truly unneeded

Just put on the e collar and until you have conditioned the dog to cues and commands and over lay just don't use the transmitter.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.