upland and waterfowl training advice for GSP

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

upland and waterfowl training advice for GSP

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 pm

we will be training our GSP pup on upland and waterfowl..she will be on ducks and geese more than any other birds due to our location and lack of wild upland birds BUT she will hunt, train and test on both..we have not taught her to sit at all yet and we will be using "hup" to teach her to sit in the blind and on our boat..if you work your dog on waterfowl as well as upland what age did you teach sit and have any of you had an issue with your pup sitting in the field after being taught to hup or sit while on waterfowl..did your dog know when it was acceptable and when it was not..thanks.....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ken Lynch

Re: upland and waterfowl training advice for GSP

Post by Ken Lynch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Is there anything magical about the dog having to sit either in the blind or boat, as opposed to down or standing? I have never hunted ducks from a blind. However, I have used my dogs to retrieve downed birds during tower shoots. To me the same requirements for both, remain still and quiet until sent. Spot flying birds, mark falling birds, be able to handle multiple marks, and retrieve from water. Are these the same requirements you envision?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm

I wasn't going to weigh in on this since I don't run pointers and wouldn't know when to teach sit. However as an avid waterfall hunter I find it VERY useful. I just made a switch from labs to a springer and find it difficult to switch from saying sit to hup.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:56 pm

I guess I am asking would it be just as acceptable if the dog stood quietly at you side and did not move until sent? Must the dog be in a seated position to be a good and functional duck blind dog?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

to the point

Post by to the point » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 pm

We taught ours at about a year old for the waterfowl work to sit and stay. In the upland we use whoa to stop and stay. No issues they learn the difference.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 pm

In a john boat and a canoe, when I have decoys with and space is an issue I want the dog to sit, standing wouldn't be an option. In a duck blind I want the dog to sit for the best line of sight, I don't want laying down so he couldn't see, however in some instances its allowed. I wouldn't have my dog standing for several hours and sometimes duck hunting is just a waiting game.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 am

I would teach all the other commands you are going to use first and then teach the sit command last.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 am

We hunt out of a jon boat AND we have a blind we use at holiday beach so we definitley want her to sit and be still but she has to be able to see so down is not ideal..i will hold off on teaching her to sit for a while then as it hasnt been needed at this point..thanks for the replys and its good to know she will learn the appropriate times to sit and not to sit....Another question i have is whats the best way to teach her to make a blind retrieve, should i put out the decoys at all at first when training or wait until she is better at retrieving without obstacles in the way? also do you guys use an ecollar or whistle or both..thanks in advance for all the help...ruth :D

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:02 am

Ruth I sent you a PM
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:18 am

bhairhoger wrote:Ruth I sent you a PM
Got it brad, very helpful ,thanks so much.....ruth

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 am

Ruth,

I would wait and teach "sit" after she's completed her bird work. The reason is when you put pressure on a dog during the breaking process they may sit to get out of the pressure. They have learned if they sit you praise them so they "sit" if they are confused or they sit just to keep from having to do the task your training for. Wait until she's pointing and holding birds real well.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:21 am

volraider wrote:Ruth,

I would wait and teach "sit" after she's completed her bird work. The reason is when you put pressure on a dog during the breaking process they may sit to get out of the pressure. They have learned if they sit you praise them so they "sit" if they are confused or they sit just to keep from having to do the task your training for. Wait until she's pointing and holding birds real well.
Thanks brian..makes perfect sense..if she sits during training should we correct it or just stand her back up and not say anything? she hasnt tried to sit at all on birds while training but if she does how should i handle it? by the way when the weather broke for a few days here we took her down to the creek and had her retrieve from the other side..she didnt hesitate and ran threw the water like it wasnt even there..i cant wait to get her out in the lake to get her ready for her NA test in may......ruth :D

larry

Post by larry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:21 am

I have been teaching sit last, after steady in the field. In the mean time I am still doing retrieving and water work but just have the dog whoa so I can teach steadiness there. Its not a big deal to switch to sit at the blind later on.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 am

larry wrote:I have been teaching sit last, after steady in the field. In the mean time I am still doing retrieving and water work but just have the dog whoa so I can teach steadiness there. Its not a big deal to switch to sit at the blind later on.
excellent, thanks.....ruth

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:10 am

Ken Lynch wrote:I guess I am asking would it be just as acceptable if the dog stood quietly at you side and did not move until sent? Must the dog be in a seated position to be a good and functional duck blind dog?

Kenneth NO to answer your question, however the foot print of a sitting dog is smaller than a standing dog and some blinds/boats dont have much room.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 am

If a dog "sits" while in training (without being taught the sit command) then she's confused, feeling pressure, or being bull headed. Don't pick her up, just take the toe of you boot and tap her on the back knee, just keep tapping her until she stands. You may have to kick just a tad harder each time until she stands. Don't say a word!! She will stand up.

Brian

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am

volraider wrote:If a dog "sits" while in training (without being taught the sit command) then she's confused, feeling pressure, or being bull headed. Don't pick her up, just take the toe of you boot and tap her on the back knee, just keep tapping her until she stands. You may have to kick just a tad harder each time until she stands. Don't say a word!! She will stand up.

Brian
Glad i asked, thanks....ruth :D