Dog Breed

JHumes

Dog Breed

Post by JHumes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I've have been thinking a lot about getting another dog ,and want to hear about some options of specific breeds, following is what I would like in a dog.

short coat
small-medium size
pointing breed
can retrieve early-season ducks
ranges fair( 40-60 yards)
long tail
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Breed

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

A two legged GSP with wheels on the back and 100% tail. Or a vizsla or weim you don't allow to be independent.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Get a Vizsla - they have 2/3 of a tail. If you get one from overseas, it won't be tail docked and you'll be in great shape. Best if you want a house dog that doesn't live in a kennel. They are super people oriented. Females are smaller than males and I'd venture that you could find one on the 30-40 lb side of things. A GSP would work as well, but they have even less of a tail.

I'm a fan of the short haired breeds myself and we have a V and a GSP and two English Pointers. I'm not sure what you're looking for as you want a pointing breed with a tail and short hair, that about leaves out a whole lot of the breeds. I don't know of many EP's that will retrieve a duck, mine will do it, but under extreme duress and she'll complain a lot about having had to do it.

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Thought you were gonna look into a Llew.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Think about a flushing breed...if all you want is 40-60 yds. Some great Spaniels out there that will easily do the early season water work and they are the size you want. At 30-50 yds, you basically have a dog under the gun.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Everything but the tail requirement would suggest a BdB. If you have an objection to docking, that breed does have natural bobs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 pm

If your stuck on your requirements the only thing that i can think of would be a grouse hunting breed EP with little field trial lines in it....some kind of Elhew breeding......

There are not very many pointing dogs in the world that are going to hunt at 50yds......unless your hunting thick cover. and the only pointing breed with long tail and short hair i can think of is a english pointer.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:28 am

Since you did'nt require registered; Lab/Pointer cross or Pointer/Lab cross. :)

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Everything but the tail requirement would suggest a BdB. If you have an objection to docking, that breed does have natural bobs.

'BdB' never heard of that breed

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:53 am

We have a GSP/Springer mix that fits the bill. Ranges 60-100 yds. We are lucky though, she has turned out to be a great little bird dog , don't know if I would necessarily recommend rescuing/adopting a dog with high hopes of it being a great bird dog. Worked out great for us but there's no guarantees, especially with mixes. Below is a pic of her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

solon

Post by solon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 am

The Small Munsterlander fits your criteria fairly well. They do have furnishings, so you might think the coat is not as short as you require. I just checked the coat on my bitch and on her back or sides the hair is about 3/4 inch. She weights 42 lbs, which is about average for a female. Males will run about 5 lbs heavier. Their weakness is that their pointing instinct is not as great as pointers/setters and most GSPs. Their strengths would be a good early season duck dog and good tracking ability for finding running cripples. Small Munsterlander owners generally test their dogs in the NAVHDA system. There are 7 qualified for the Invitational this year. They are not a breed for AF field trials. They tend to have medium to close ranges, with some exceptions. You can read more about the breed by doing a Google search and checking out the SMCNA web site:

http://www.smallmunsterlander.org/

Here is one of mine:

and same dog pointing a woodcock:

Solon

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 am

You could look for a small DD.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 am

look into some dk they will more than fit the bill

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 am

why suca short range? Just remember, you can always pull adog in to range (to a degree) - but it is VERY hard to get them to run bigger.

You can find all the birds in a range of 40-60 yards, so why a pointing breed? I would get a flusher. :wink:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

solon

Post by solon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 am

Buckeye_V wrote:why suca short range? Just remember, you can always pull adog in to range (to a degree) - but it is VERY hard to get them to run bigger.

You can find all the birds in a range of 40-60 yards, so why a pointing breed? I would get a flusher. :wink:
Valid comment. But just guessing here, if his avatar means what it suggests, he already has a GSP and running a flusher with a pointer is a bit trickier and can cramp the style of one or the other of that mixed brace.

Note added in editing: There are some English Pointers that have tested well in NAVHDA, so they can do everything he is looking for, except maybe a short range might be a problem. But then who really wants the range to be that close?

Solon
Last edited by solon on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:27 am

Maybe that is his dog, maybe it isn't. Maybe the dog is no longer with us. I only wnet on the information he originally provided. I would still get a flusher, with the original information provided.

Maybe the yardage estimates are not exactly true. My 40-60 yards may be different than yours. I have won some money on yardage estimates in the past from guys who didn't know the difference between 100 yards and 500 yards. :mrgreen:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 am

JHumes,
I have to agree with Solon on this one, you have done a fair job of describing the Small Munsterlander. You can add to that list, great family dog fantastic with KIds and
the wife. Very serious hunting dog, great for ducks, they instinctively retrieve any kind of fur & feather. We use our SM for Grouse and Woodcock hunting, many owners use them out west for wild Pheasants also.

RGD/Dave

Depending on the line SM dogs due have Setter type tails

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 am

Get a silver pointing lab.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 am

Firemedic wrote:Get a silver pointing lab.
Why silver?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 am

Silver is not a recognized color for labs and you could not trial it. The general theory is they are a cross between a lab and a wienheimer.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Firemedic wrote:Get a silver pointing lab.
Why silver?

Ezzy[/quote
It's my favorite color, plus what the OP is looking for is so hard to find, just like a lab that points and is silver.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 am

nikegundog wrote:Silver is not a recognized color for labs and you could not trial it. The general theory is they are a cross between a lab and a wienheimer.
If he is asking for a dog that ranges 50-60 yards, do you think this is gonna be a trial dog?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 am

The dog in the OP's avatar is either for sale or sold, or at least was at some point. The reason for selling at that time was he wanted a female.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 am

Firemedic wrote;
If he is asking for a dog that ranges 50-60 yards, do you think this is gonna be a trial dog?
Sorry was trying to be polite, the silver lab is considered a mutt and wouldn't be allowed in some venues that require a purebred even if it is registered.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 am

ACooper wrote:The dog in the OP's avatar is either for sale or sold, or at least was at some point. The reason for selling at that time was he wanted a female.
so is another requirement of this dog to be a female?..theres some nice lab pups on the ground i can recommend but only males are left.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

nikegundog wrote:
Firemedic wrote;
Sorry was trying to be polite, the silver lab is considered a mutt and wouldn't be allowed in some venues that require a purebred even if it is registered.
Better check your info on not being able to be trialed?

Due to a questionable background iT sure wouldn't be my choice let alone a non approved color.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 pm

I am not a trial guy but have always been interested in them. I am however a lab guy and about 5 months ago when I saw my lab wasn't able to hunt another season I went looking for a new lab, I saw a local ad for someone selling Silver Labs and they looked beautiful. I started researching them and could not find positive information on them except from about 4 breeders who make a living selling them, the general consensus was they're cross breeds and anyone trying to trial them would be disqualified. I am not aware of all the rules in trials but if I showed up with a dog that looked like a GSP and was registered as a brit would I be disqualified?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:35 pm

nikegundog wrote:I am not a trial guy but have always been interested in them. I am however a lab guy and about 5 months ago when I saw my lab wasn't able to hunt another season I went looking for a new lab, I saw a local ad for someone selling Silver Labs and they looked beautiful. I started researching them and could not find positive information on them except from about 4 breeders who make a living selling them, the general consensus was they're cross breeds and anyone trying to trial them would be disqualified. I am not aware of all the rules in trials but if I showed up with a dog that looked like a GSP and was registered as a brit would I be disqualified?

Not as long as it was registered to the host clubs requirements.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:39 pm

American trials do not judge the participants to a breed standard. How they look is not part of the equation.

Ezzy

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Coop, could you expand on that? If several breeders of Silver Labs got a club together, could they have a trial and possible get a title on a silver lab even if 95% of lab clubs thought they were a fraud?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:58 pm

nikegundog wrote:Coop, could you expand on that? If several breeders of Silver Labs got a club together, could they have a trial and possible get a title on a silver lab even if 95% of lab clubs thought they were a fraud?
Say you buy a silver lab that is AKC registered you can take that dog and run it in AKC hunt tests or AKC field trials. No need for a a new club, but with the resistance to the silver labs a new club might be the best idea for the silver dogs, as most people believe as do I that they are a fraud.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm

ACooper wrote:
nikegundog wrote:Coop, could you expand on that? If several breeders of Silver Labs got a club together, could they have a trial and possible get a title on a silver lab even if 95% of lab clubs thought they were a fraud?
Say you buy a silver lab that is AKC registered you can take that dog and run it in AKC hunt tests or AKC field trials. No need for a a new club, but with the resistance to the silver labs a new club might be the best idea for the silver dogs, as most people believe as do I that they are a fraud.
They have charcoal Labs, too. Funny thing is, those designer colors have agouti hair.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Haven't seen the charcoal ones yet but the pointing lab kennels have been exploding in the last five years in my area.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:58 pm

nikegundog wrote:Haven't seen the charcoal ones yet but the pointing lab kennels have been exploding in the last five years in my area.
Well, I hope no one and no animals are injured, but I think blowing up pointing Lab kennels is probably a good thing.

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:42 pm

ACooper wrote:The dog in the OP's avatar is either for sale or sold, or at least was at some point. The reason for selling at that time was he wanted a female.

Yeah, I decided to keep the dog (nobody really was interested), I have recently force fetched him and have started to steady him on birds.I'll probaly try to get him his master hunter title and stud 'em out.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:15 pm

why did you want to sell him?

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:32 pm

I tried to breed him ,but it didn't work out, and wanted to sell. Since no one wanted him, I kept him and I guess he could breed after he matures a little bit more.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 pm

What qualities does he have that you feel people would want and that need to be pasted on? I like his looks in a couple of your posts but looks too long legged in your Avatar pic.

Ezzy

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:What qualities does he have that you feel people would want and that need to be pasted on? I like his looks in a couple of your posts but looks too long legged in your Avatar pic.

Ezzy

The main idea is that I'm not selling him, and my avatar is no different than his real size( he is 75lbs and 25 inches)

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Sounds like you want a GSP that didn't get its tail docked! :lol:

wad69

Post by wad69 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 am

Consider a pudelpointer. Very good reputation in all regards. They don't have short hair like a GSP but you can get one that is a shorter wire hair version. Huge bonus is they don't shed. My female pup will weigh about 50-55 lbs when grown up. Not sure if that fits your definition. Awesome with the kids, other dogs and strangers. Maybe I've been lucky but the puppy days have not been overly spazzy during day-to-day living. Like I mentioned, they love people so they can get pretty amped up when people come by. Not recommended for extreme cold duck hunting but can very easily hunt one all season. The tail is docked only a third.