Ryman Setter Photos

buckmaster

Ryman Setter Photos

Post by buckmaster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 pm

How many of y'all hunt Ryman type Setters....just saw a great thread on another dog site that was filled with some great Ryman type dogs and grouse hunting photos.
I don't take a camera much when I hunt...but I will get the ball rolling with 2 hunting photos and a photo from home.
This is my big girl hunting (70lb) female hunting the edge of the National Grasslands in SD, on one of our annual trips....then another photo of my daughter trying to take her along to her first day of kindergarten.
4birdpt.JPG
taylorday5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by buckmaster on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birddogz

Re: Ryman Setter Photos

Post by Birddogz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:15 pm

That is a pretty dog. Nice photo as well.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks Birddogz...sorry about the file size in the first photo...I think I corrected it this time.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Those Ryman Setters are beautiful dogs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm

sure is, classic eastern setter :D

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 pm

I have wondered if Rymans do not hold their tails at 12? Not a negative, but I notice their tails are not normally real high. Is it just the pics I have seen, or is it a trait? Just curious.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

buckmaster,
Yep we have a couple of them here in our Grouse dog kennels, our family has owned them log before I was ever born. I will own a Ryman dog until the Lord moves me upstairs. You have a fantastic Blue Belton sir.

High tails are usually of the half moon type, but some Ryman dog do hold them higher.

RGD/Dave

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for posting those great photos RGD...the puppies are adorable...my wife misses having puppies around, as do the kids for that matter....my wife wants me to breed her this month when she comes in season. Selfishly I guess...I never wanted to breed her in her late summer /september heat as it would keep her out for hunting season...and missing one season during your prime is a big percentage of a dogs hunting life...so now at age 6 this is her last chance at it...I don' think I would make a dog a first time mother after this age.
Anyone else have any photos...any photos of Rymans hunting birds you don't normally see our big eastern dogs hunting...scaled quail..west texas bobwhites..oregon chukars?

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Awesome pics, never been to SD before how do those roosters hold on point over there.The stocked birds I hunt usually hold on point,and (off feedback from others) most wild birds seem to run.
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Birddogz,
Here is Daisy our Ryman female with her tail way up as she stands on Grouse point in the thick Grouse woods, on a very rainy day.
RGD

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am

RGD...are your dogs local PA bred dogs? Do they intentionally try and breed for the high tail, or did it just happen incidently to other breeding considerations?

Jhume...due to work and family I typically don't get out to SD until around Thanksgiving or so ...and the pheasants have been chased since Oct 1st...the sharptails since Sept 1st so they are pretty spooky by then in addition to their normal propensity to be runners. Grouse run in our woods here...pheasants out there have just really adapted to the open country. Where I hunted 2009 was a wet fall and there was alot of cover....this year not as much plus there had been more cattle grazing in the area we hunted trampling the cover...so it think the closet we got to a chikin or sharptail covey was 90 yards before they busted...last year they actually gave you a chance to close the gap between you and your dog on point. It is pretty much a no bell or beeper collar affair...if you slam a car door...blow a whistle or yammer at your dog...you will see bird flush 200yards ahead . That being said...you can have great fun in the right cover...and in the prairie grass a dog figures out very quickly how much pressure a bird can take until he can trail and relocate, trail and relocate...literally for hundreds of yards and eventually set them for you to get a shot over a point. The cover below doesnt' look very pretty...its a long fallow pasture...but it is thick enough to hold birds and provide cover since it is surrounded by 1000's of acres of cut corn...this was taken in a sleet/ ice storm before Thanksgiving...it pretty much sleeted on us every other day..then snowed the whole drive back to St. Paul where we flew home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am

Buckmaster,
My Ryman dogs are a mixture of Ryman/Reid going back to DeCoverly and my latest pup is from FireSide Kennels in VT, Lynn Dee owner. None of my dogs were bred for the high tail trait, they were however bred for hunting Grouse. Here is Daisy again pointing a Pheasant in the thick hedge row, notice the difference in where she holds her tail, when pointing the differt birds.
RGD/Dave

Pointing a Pheasant

Pointing a Grouse

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 am

RGD...does Fireside have some Pinecoble in its foundation line? I was curious as one of the studs I just looked at for Taylor was from Pinecoble, that also had a high tail point...I have no preference on tail position just curious. I have heard nothing but good things about Warren and Pinecoble so far...and they happen to be near my friends farm where we hunt.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Buckmaster,
Pine Coble has real nice dogs, not sure whether Fireside kennels has done any breed work with them or not, Hestons papers are up in the mountain home so I cannot even reference them to help you out. Don't know if Lynn Dee has her pedigrees up on her sight or not.
RGD/Dave