Do your new pup owners register their pups ?

deseeker

Do your new pup owners register their pups ?

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Breeders do your new pup owners register their pups? Since AKC has made it so I can look at my litters online, I've noticed only between 50% to 75% of the new owners register their pups with AKC. I just can't imagine paying $500-$600 for a pup and not spending $20 to register the pup.
Another question---If the person that didn't register the pup wants you to take it back a year or so down the road, are you going to give them the full price of the pup back(Remember since a year has passed, it is going to cost you $100 for you to register the pup with AKC when you take it back). It hasn't happened to me, but I was kind of wondering what would you do---Would you give them the full amount back, or give them back $100 less because it would cost you more to register the dog with AKC once you get it back :?: :?:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Do your new pup owners register their pups ?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:00 pm

They won't have a choice. I am doing it for them.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:13 pm

All our puppies are registered before they are sold, and if for some chance not, we still do the paperwork then they transfer the dog into their name.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Jenna wrote:All our puppies are registered before they are sold, and if for some chance not, we still do the paperwork then they transfer the dog into their name.
Have you tried the Litter Plus where you put them in the new owners' names? I'm doing it for the first time and am really glad it's available. Most people I know who wanted a full count did exactly as you describe in the past, though.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Jenna wrote:All our puppies are registered before they are sold, and if for some chance not, we still do the paperwork then they transfer the dog into their name.

If you individual register each pup in the litter, you have to supply a name for each pup. Are your new owners okay with the names you have picked for THEIR new pup?? I don't think the new owners of my pups would like me puting a name on their pups. I realize AKC has made it so you can change the name of a pup(for more money), as long as the dogs have not earned a title yet. It will still cost them more money to get the dogs name changed and re-registered.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Litter plus will accept a blank on the name for the new owner to fill in and file at no cost. All my people have either supplied a name or part of one for me to finish. I am sorely tempted to edit a couple.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Litter plus will accept a blank on the name for the new owner to fill in and file at no cost. All my people have either supplied a name or part of one for me to finish. I am sorely tempted to edit a couple.

Didn't know they would accept a blank on the name on Litter Plus. I might have to try that on the next litter. I agree--I wish I could edit a few of the names that buyers have picked for their new pups :roll: :!: :!:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm not a breeder but have owned several purebred dogs that I did not register, for the simply fact that I did not want to breed them. No reason to spend twenty extra dollars for a sheet of paper if you plan on having them fixed, and not trialing them.

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 pm

deseeker wrote:

If you individual register each pup in the litter, you have to supply a name for each pup. Are your new owners okay with the names you have picked for THEIR new pup?? I don't think the new owners of my pups would like me puting a name on their pups. I realize AKC has made it so you can change the name of a pup(for more money), as long as the dogs have not earned a title yet. It will still cost them more money to get the dogs name changed and re-registered.
Yes, we do name them, and no, we have never had an issue with our puppy buyers not liking the name we choose. If the paperwork isn't done by the time they buy the dog, we always ask if they have a name in mind, or let them choose from a list of names (which, mind you, is a good 4 or 5 pages long).

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 am

I just recently got a new puppy and the AKC paperwork says it is the (registering owners right to name the dog). And if I were to register the dog there is no way I would go with their name.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 am

nikegundog wrote:I just recently got a new puppy and the AKC paperwork says it is the (registering owners right to name the dog). And if I were to register the dog there is no way I would go with their name.
If you bought the pup, you are the registering owner.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:46 am

Yes, I know I am the registering owner. I was just pointing out that my right to pick the name not the sellers.

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:50 am

I should add that rarely do we sell puppies under the age of six months. We usually string them along until they're about 18 months or so. Mind you, these are show dogs, not field dogs. It's easy to get a good fox terrier puppy, most of them finish from the 6-9 class, but having that fantastic pup turn out to be a fantastic adult and your next big winning special is a lot harder. That's why we string them along, show them, see how they mature, and then decide what their future is. Aaaaand in order to show, the dog must be registered, hence the reason we choose the names.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 am

nikegundog wrote:Yes, I know I am the registering owner. I was just pointing out that my right to pick the name not the sellers.
I read it backwards, I guess.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:43 am

What is the time restriction to register before price goes up?

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 am

For our litter, we sat down with the owner on the day they came to pick up their puppy, filled out all of the paperwork, and mailed it for them. It was easier for all involved and it allowed us to ensure it got done.
They had full freedom to name their dog whatever they wanted to long as our kennel name was at the beginning.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 am

They had full freedom to name their dog whatever they wanted to long as our kennel name was at the beginning.

According to AKC you don't have the Right to include your kennel name in the title and in doing so the owner isn't getting his full freedom.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 am

nikegundog wrote:
According to AKC you don't have the Right to include your kennel name in the title and in doing so the owner isn't getting his full freedom.
The AKC has nothing to do with it. I enter into a contract with my puppy owners. The terms of that contract give me the right to include my kennel name. If the owner objects, they're free to buy elsewhere.

Honestly including the breeder's kennel in the official AKC name is so commonplace that I don't even see it as a real issue.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 am

Not all want that paper, many here just want the dog with no intention of breeding and to be spayed or nuetered so whats the diff? AKC isnt making enough money or something? Person buys a pup, he owns it and can do as he wishes in my book. Just like anything that is sold like a car or an apple. Buy it it is yours to do as you wish.

My sons pup is 3 now and I didnt reg him, he isnt a breeder just a hunter. I have his mom and dad so why would I need a piece of paper on him?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am

phermes1 wrote: The AKC has nothing to do with it. I enter into a contract with my puppy owners. The terms of that contract give me the right to include my kennel name. If the owner objects, they're free to buy elsewhere.

Honestly including the breeder's kennel in the official AKC name is so commonplace that I don't even see it as a real issue.
I've bought now four vizslas from people that you know very well.

I feel like that it's MY choice as to what the registered name of MY dog is. I simply give them a name and put MY last name on it, because they are a part of MYfamily.
This is the first I've heard of someone requiring their name be a part of the dog's name...

Do people want their kennel name included in the name as part of advertising?
All people have to do is ask me and I'd be happy to tell them where I got the dog...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 am

twofeathers wrote:What is the time restriction to register before price goes up?
"An application to individually register a member of a registered litter shall be valid for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of issue of the application. An application to individually register a member of a registered litter filed with The American Kennel Club more than twelve (12) months from the date of issue of the application may be considered for registration provided the applicant supplies such required information and remits such penalty fee as shall be determined by the Board of Directors. No application to individually register a member of a registered litter will be accepted after twenty-four (24) months from the date of issue of the application, except when the delay in filing the application for individual registration results from an American Kennel Club investigation or inquiry, an action of law or other hardship circumstances satisfactory to The American Kennel Club and the applicant remits such penalty fee as shall be determined by the Board of Directors."
Mine are both registered, but I know I've left the app. on my desk for quite a few months before. :roll:

I register all animals that are registertable (horses, etc), for future purposes. My thinking might not hold water, but if I croak or these dogs need new homes, that might be the little something that gets them into the right hands to keep them hunting, competing, etc. IMO a lot of folks don't want a dog without a pedigree. Rescues are full of 'em. My thinking probably comes from the days of horses being sold for slaughter. A lot of the animals that went through were "unknown" grade horses. If the horse had a pedigree with something on it, someone might take a chance, into making something of it. Of course I like to play some games, so they have to be registered anyway.
Last edited by wems2371 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am

My thinking might not hold water, but if I croak and these dogs need new homes, that might be the little something that gets them into the right hands to keep them hunting, competing, etc.
Never looked at it that way, but you made a great point. I have the paperwork out now and will send in the twenty bucks for the sake of this springer I got two weeks ago.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 am

V-John wrote:
phermes1 wrote: The AKC has nothing to do with it. I enter into a contract with my puppy owners. The terms of that contract give me the right to include my kennel name. If the owner objects, they're free to buy elsewhere.

I feel like that it's MY choice as to what the registered name of MY dog is. I simply give them a name and put MY last name on it, because they are a part of MYfamily.
This is the first I've heard of someone requiring their name be a part of the dog's name...

So you're telling me that you've never encountered the practice of the official AKC name beginning with the breeder's kennel name?

I'm going to assume you got your pups from Jim Busch as he's the only one I can think of offhand that doesn't even have a kennel name - which is almost his identifying mark. Whenever I come across a dog's name that is one word, (ie, Raany), the first thought that comes to mind is it must be one of Jim's. :) (Really nice dogs, btw)

Whether it's considered an offical 'requirement' or not, the vast, vast majority of the people I know - vizsla breeders, GSP breeders, field lines, show lines, whatever - have their kennel names as part of the AKC name.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 am

V-John wrote:

Do people want their kennel name included in the name as part of advertising?
All people have to do is ask me and I'd be happy to tell them where I got the dog...
we have been looking for almost a year for a GSP pup and talked to many breeders and you would be surprised how common it is for them to want ALOT of control..one breeder i was in contact with (she is on here) requires that she pick the name of the dog on the reg..as the buyer you have to field and show title the dog before breeding..then when you do title in show/field the dog she picks your stud dog , gets first pick of the litter and must co-own with you as well..thats why i passed on the pup..it may work for some but not what i was interested in.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:55 am

A couple of thoughts. Phermes, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just haven't heard of anything like that.

If registering your dog can help it get into a good home should something happen, then it's well worth the 20 bucks.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

GUNDOGS wrote:we have been looking for almost a year for a GSP pup and talked to many breeders and you would be surprised how common it is for them to want ALOT of control..one breeder i was in contact with (she is on here) requires that she pick the name of the dog on the reg..as the buyer you have to field and show title the dog before breeding..then when you do title in show/field the dog she picks your stud dog , gets first pick of the litter and must co-own with you as well..thats why i passed on the pup..it may work for some but not what i was interested in.....ruth
That is a bit too much. Main thing we're concerned about is just finding good homes, we don't have any requirements like that. Too much.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 am

The AKC has nothing to do with it. I enter into a contract with my puppy owners. The terms of that contract give me the right to include my kennel name. If the owner objects, they're free to buy elsewhere.
So you're telling me that you've never encountered the practice of the official AKC name beginning with the breeder's kennel name?
we have been looking for almost a year for a GSP pup and talked to many breeders and you would be surprised how common it is for them to want ALOT of control
I have purchases three dog that the kennel had filled in their names before I arrived. I know others that have had that happen and just white-outed the name and put in the name they wanted when sending them in. If its the AKC rule that the new owner gets to pick the name, why do some breeder's insist on doing this? Just because it is a common practice doesn't make it right.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 am

I agree..it was too much control..but i really dont mind if the breeder wants their name first on the reg it is quite common here in canada as well..i think its not a bad idea really seeing as if you look at a pedigree you can notice a dog right away by the kennel name..such as cajun..one breeder we spoke to had cajun dogs and man id want my name on them too..they are some of the best looking shorthairs ive seen..we are all set with our pup of choice and the breeder doesnt require his name on the reg but if he did id be proud to have it on their since i really like the lines and its the best litter of pups ive seen since looking :D ...ruth

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 am

phermes1 wrote:
V-John wrote:

I'm going to assume you got your pups from Jim Busch as he's the only one I can think of offhand that doesn't even have a kennel name - which is almost his identifying mark. Whenever I come across a dog's name that is one word, (ie, Raany), the first thought that comes to mind is it must be one of Jim's. :) (Really nice dogs, btw)

Whether it's considered an offical 'requirement' or not, the vast, vast majority of the people I know - vizsla breeders, GSP breeders, field lines, show lines, whatever - have their kennel names as part of the AKC name.
I have gotten dogs from Dustin Ochs, Mike Lundy, and recently from Brian Fidler. Not a single one of those guys have even mentioned anything with including a kennel name or anything associated with their name. I can't think of any of them having a kennel name. Brian is just starting... Dustin had the "Dry Creek".. But don't think that either one of his two latest dogs have that name in them. Now that I think about it, Lundy has owned the sire… So that is a non-issue. But looking at his dogs, I don't see a kennel name in his dogs either. From Tommy Boy, to Obvious Conclusion, to the Touchdown Kid...
I've certainly encountered the practice of the registered name having the breeder's kennel name. I just haven't encountered it being a requirement in the naming process of the pup.

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 am

phermes1 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:we have been looking for almost a year for a GSP pup and talked to many breeders and you would be surprised how common it is for them to want ALOT of control..one breeder i was in contact with (she is on here) requires that she pick the name of the dog on the reg..as the buyer you have to field and show title the dog before breeding..then when you do title in show/field the dog she picks your stud dog , gets first pick of the litter and must co-own with you as well..thats why i passed on the pup..it may work for some but not what i was interested in.....ruth
That is a bit too much. Main thing we're concerned about is just finding good homes, we don't have any requirements like that. Too much.
That is too much! Ridculous!

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 am

I find it so interesting that so many of you are against the breeder choosing the name or requiring that their kennel name be on the puppy. I understand where you're coming from, just never thought of it that way, as I grew up in the conformation world, and having the breeder name the dog and having their kennel name on it is just the way it is. Rarely will you find a show breeder who doesn't mind their kennel name not being on the dog they bred, UNLESS it is a stud fee puppy (puppy back instead of paying a stud fee), then the name of the owner of the sire is usually on it, sometimes both kennel names of the actual litter breeder and the name of the sire's owner.

My setter bitch was leased to a friend and her client for puppies last year. All three of us our breeders of the litter, their kennel names are on all but one pup (mine), because he was my payment for allowing them to have a litter from my bitch, therefore my kennel name goes on him.

Maybe this is just another difference to add to the long list of differences between bench and field

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:00 am

V-John wrote: I have gotten dogs from Dustin Ochs, Mike Lundy, and recently from Brian Fidler. Not a single one of those guys have even mentioned anything with including a kennel name or anything associated with their name. I can't think of any of them having a kennel name. Brian is just starting... Dustin had the "Dry Creek".. But don't think that either one of his two latest dogs have that name in them. Now that I think about it, Lundy has owned the sire… So that is a non-issue. But looking at his dogs, I don't see a kennel name in his dogs either. From Tommy Boy, to Obvious Conclusion, to the Touchdown Kid...
I've certainly encountered the practice of the registered name having the breeder's kennel name. I just haven't encountered it being a requirement in the naming process of the pup.
You're right, there are more examples than I realized, my bad. Although Mike does have dogs out there with a 'lundys' kennel name.

Still, 'requirement' almost implies that it including the kennel name is some sort of hardship on the owner. I simply haven't ever seen anyone make a big deal out of it. I certainly didn't mind.

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 am

Oh I agree, it's not a hardship, it's just something that had never crossed my mind. I always thought people did that cause they wanted too.
(Like Fidler has "Lundy's Fiddlin' with Fire). I just thought Brian did that as a tip of the cap to Mike.

I never really thought if it would be an issue if someone asked me to do that. I don't think it would be... Just never ran across it.

Learn something new every day, I suppose.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am

Jenna wrote:I find it so interesting that so many of you are against the breeder choosing the name or requiring that their kennel name be on the puppy. I understand where you're coming from, just never thought of it that way, as I grew up in the conformation world, and having the breeder name the dog and having their kennel name on it is just the way it is. Rarely will you find a show breeder who doesn't mind their kennel name not being on the dog they bred, UNLESS it is a stud fee puppy (puppy back instead of paying a stud fee), then the name of the owner of the sire is usually on it, sometimes both kennel names of the actual litter breeder and the name of the sire's owner.

My setter bitch was leased to a friend and her client for puppies last year. All three of us our breeders of the litter, their kennel names are on all but one pup (mine), because he was my payment for allowing them to have a litter from my bitch, therefore my kennel name goes on him.

Maybe this is just another difference to add to the long list of differences between bench and field
Hi, "my setter bitch was leased to a friend and her client for puppies last year" all three of you are breeders of the litter?.. who does the dog live with and do you swap dogs or something?..what does this mean?..sorry i might be the only one on here that dont understand this lol but it sounds confusing..do you like this arrangement?.. ive heard of leasing a bird dog out to a pheasant farm or preserve for guided hunts but not for puppies..interesting..thanks ruth

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
Jenna wrote:I find it so interesting that so many of you are against the breeder choosing the name or requiring that their kennel name be on the puppy. I understand where you're coming from, just never thought of it that way, as I grew up in the conformation world, and having the breeder name the dog and having their kennel name on it is just the way it is. Rarely will you find a show breeder who doesn't mind their kennel name not being on the dog they bred, UNLESS it is a stud fee puppy (puppy back instead of paying a stud fee), then the name of the owner of the sire is usually on it, sometimes both kennel names of the actual litter breeder and the name of the sire's owner.

Hi, "my setter bitch was leased to a friend and her client for puppies last year" all three of you are breeders of the litter?.. who does the dog live with and do you swap dogs or something?..what does this mean?..sorry i might be the only one on here that dont understand this lol but it sounds confusing..do you like this arrangement?.. ive heard of leasing a bird dog out to a pheasant farm or preserve for guided hunts but not for puppies..interesting..thanks ruth
They basically "borrowed" my bitch to have a litter out of her. They chose the sire and paid the stud fee. She had lived with me since she was 13 weeks old (and is now 5), but once she came in season, she went directly to the stud dog's owner, was bred, and then lived at my friend's house until the pups were weaned. All three of us are breeders of record for the litter because all three of us are listed as owner. My friend and her client breed irish setters, and wanted to dip in to english using my bitch (great show pedigree, finished in 6 weekends with 5 majors from the puppy classes). I didn't charge them to lease my bitch, instead just asked for my pick puppy from the litter, which is the 8 month old pup I have now. They kept the pick bitch. I have seen lease agreements go awry, and the only reason I agreed to lease my bitch is because my friend has been a friend of my mother's since before I was born, and is a very respected breeder in the show world. I trust that she and her client wouldn't screw me over like I have seen others do in leases. There was no contract involved a only verbal agreement about choosing the sire, paying the stud fee, and which pup I got out of it.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 pm

I like having the pups name amended to the kennel name, makes for an interesting name.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Anyone that buys a pup from me is more then welcome to use my Kennel name but it is not a requirement.I feel when you pay your money the pup is yours I don't tell you what to name it or what to do with it.I would not pay money for anything then be told what I can & can not do with it.
All I ask or want is the pup to have a good home & be loved. :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Jenna wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:

They basically "borrowed" my bitch to have a litter out of her. They chose the sire and paid the stud fee. She had lived with me since she was 13 weeks old (and is now 5), but once she came in season, she went directly to the stud dog's owner, was bred, and then lived at my friend's house until the pups were weaned. All three of us are breeders of record for the litter because all three of us are listed as owner. My friend and her client breed irish setters, and wanted to dip in to english using my bitch (great show pedigree, finished in 6 weekends with 5 majors from the puppy classes). I didn't charge them to lease my bitch, instead just asked for my pick puppy from the litter, which is the 8 month old pup I have now. They kept the pick bitch. I have seen lease agreements go awry, and the only reason I agreed to lease my bitch is because my friend has been a friend of my mother's since before I was born, and is a very respected breeder in the show world. I trust that she and her client wouldn't screw me over like I have seen others do in leases. There was no contract involved a only verbal agreement about choosing the sire, paying the stud fee, and which pup I got out of it.
Hi jenna, ya this is like the agreement the breeder i encountered wanted for her dogs as well..i guess if you know the person and could trust them it may work..hey if it works for you thats what counts!! it just wasnt what i want..it felt like too many cooks in the kitchen in my opinion but thanks for the insight!!...ruth

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:15 pm

I've shown dogs as well as been somewhat active in breed clubs and some of the trials and I never saw any difference in what the breeders required. Of course many breeders would like their kennel name used but it still is normally accepted it is the owners perogative. I know of a couple that did require it and that is fine as long as it is publicized before you go and pick up a puppy.

As far as my pups go I have asked a couple of times to have our kennel nmae used but did not insist. Other than that I have no idea how many of them are even registered and can't say that I care. As long as the pups are in a good home and are treated well that's really all I as a seller can insist on. The rest is up to the purchaser.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 pm

It has been my experience that show people or people from a show background are more insistent about the use of their kennel name on registrations. The field people I had spent time with didn't mind if you used their name in the registration, but it certainly wasn't a requirement.
I have decided that anyone that wants to exert that much control is not someone I want to be associated with.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

kbshorthairs wrote:It has been my experience that show people or people from a show background are more insistent about the use of their kennel name on registrations. The field people I had spent time with didn't mind if you used their name in the registration, but it certainly wasn't a requirement.
I have decided that anyone that wants to exert that much control is not someone I want to be associated with.
I agree with your assessment. I have a problem buying something and not having it completely mine. If they want their kennel name then knock $50 bucks off of the price and we might talk.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:I agree..it was too much control..but i really dont mind if the breeder wants their name first on the reg it is quite common here in canada as well..i think its not a bad idea really seeing as if you look at a pedigree you can notice a dog right away by the kennel name..such as cajun..one breeder we spoke to had cajun dogs and man id want my name on them too..they are some of the best looking shorthairs ive seen..we are all set with our pup of choice and the breeder doesnt require his name on the reg but if he did id be proud to have it on their since i really like the lines and its the best litter of pups ive seen since looking :D ...ruth
Couldn't have been the Cajun dogs I have, because my Casey pup is U-G-L-Y. Seriously. He's an outstanding trial prospect, but is not, I repeat, not a pretty dog. :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:I agree..it was too much control..but i really dont mind if the breeder wants their name first on the reg it is quite common here in canada as well..i think its not a bad idea really seeing as if you look at a pedigree you can notice a dog right away by the kennel name..such as cajun..one breeder we spoke to had cajun dogs and man id want my name on them too..they are some of the best looking shorthairs ive seen..we are all set with our pup of choice and the breeder doesnt require his name on the reg but if he did id be proud to have it on their since i really like the lines and its the best litter of pups ive seen since looking :D ...ruth
Couldn't have been the Cajun dogs I have, because my Casey pup is U-G-L-Y. Seriously. He's an outstanding trial prospect, but is not, I repeat, not a pretty dog. :D
:lol: Just goes to show ya those cajun dogs ugly or not CAN hunt!! the gentleman we were talking to about a pup was jeff in iowa..very knowledgeable, no control issues on what you do with your dogs and the markings on that undertaker WOW..he wasnt having pups for a while thats the only reason we continued on looking because i called 5 references that were more than happy with cajun dogs and they had jaw dropping looks to them, the whole package..but im glad we kept looking cause im equally impressed and excited about the female we are getting from tennessee in 2 weeks..if we get the property we put an offer on (9 acres near bracebridge ontario).. i will LATER be calling jeff back though :twisted: .....ruth

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:32 am

I request my kennel name be put into the registered name of any puppy I sell, if they don't do it, oh well. But I do request it. Having kennel names on the dogs who go on to compete makes it easier to keep track of who is who, from where etc. Dogs that are never leaving the owners house, doesn't make much difference.

Any dog I purchase will always have the breeders kennel name in there, for the above reasons, and also as a sign of respect to them. They did the work, they bred the dog, they deserve their name in there. Of course, sometimes they may wish it weren't in there!

If someone refused to use my kennel name, it would be the first sign to me that they would not be easy to work with down the road. It would raise warning flags that their interests and mine were not compatable and I would probably reconsider selling them a puppy. No problem, there are lots of people out there who are selling dogs that they can go to and I am willing to send them down the road to find them. The internet is full of dogs for sale.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:11 am

I have to agree, it is a bit arrogant to insist that the new owner use a name not of their liking. I allow every new owner to use my kennel name when naming a pup, but have never insisted. I walked away from a puppy purchase when the breeder had filled out the puppy's name for me and without asking what I wanted to call the dog.
It think that the reason that some do not register their dog is that they intend to simple have a hunting dog and not a competition dog. Which is just fine with me as long as the dog made it to a good home.
As for giving back the money. I have had one dog come back due to a divorce and then leave again with the same person when he found a place that would allow dogs in the house. I'm not sure that I would give any of the money back unless I was able to place the dog in another home. At that point, I would give most of the money back minus the cost of housing the dog.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Whenever I come across a dog's name that is one word, (ie, Raany), the first thought that comes to mind is it must be one of Jim's. :) (Really nice dogs, btw)
Do you know the reason for the one word names the Busch's use?

It all started when Linda or Jim would fill out the trial forms for AKC. It would take too much time and space (and neatness counted for fear of rejection) for a long name so they shortened it to one word. That way they would still have space for all the titles to still fit in the space and be readable. Now we have computers so the neatness factor and space issues aren't much of a factor anymore, But I still like the idea after filling out forms for my dog that were not on computer. The next puppy is a one to three word name (and short words) and no more.

He always said everyone would find out who bred a good dog just like a bad dog so no need for a kennel name. However, I think of it as a sign of respect for the breeder and have no issue with using a Registered kennel name. We ended up using the Stud dog's name instead of kennel name (Archiee) and some of the other owners used JB'S as the kennel name.

Carla

tro182

Post by tro182 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I like the kennel names on the dogs. 1. I can go to the NAVHDA websight and it is easy to find all the dogs from that one kennel. 2. You show respect to a breeder who has done the work to advance the breed.

My dog, I picked up just last week had part of the name picked out, " Konza Vadasz Lucky". The Konza Vadasz is the kennel Lucky was the litter name. The call name of the dog is Gunner so it's registered name is Konza Vadasz Lucky Shot. I can now look for the litter name when I look for the littermates down the road since they are spread out all over the country.

I had no problem with the dogs name mostly picked before I showed up....I just call him Gunner. :D

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 pm

I have to agree, it is a bit arrogant to insist that the new owner use a name not of their liking. I allow every new owner to use my kennel name when naming a pup, but have never insisted. I walked away from a puppy purchase when the breeder had filled out the puppy's name for me and without asking what I wanted to call the dog.

If you walked away because of a dogs registered name, then I doubt you had a lot of confidence in the purchase to begin with. Who cares what it's registered name is.. you can call it whatever you choose.
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

fuzznut wrote:

If you walked away because of a dogs registered name, then I doubt you had a lot of confidence in the purchase to begin with. Who cares what it's registered name is.. you can call it whatever you choose.
And really, why do registered names mean so much to people anyway? You choose the call name, so why does it matter what it says on paper?

The name doesn't make the dog, genetics and training do.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Its kind of like you buying a house and the seller picks the paint color for each room and you can't ever change it as long as you own the house.

Ezzy