Debarking - What Are Your Thoughts?

Grousehunter74

Debarking - What Are Your Thoughts?

Post by Grousehunter74 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:06 am

Anyone had their dog debarked? What is your opinion of this?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Debarking - What Are Your Thoughts?

Post by topher40 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:48 am

It really isnt worth the money. The dog can still bark although it is more of a raspy bark. Bark collars work much better. All dogs bark, you might try getting a cat if its that big of a problem........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:53 am

Great way for vets to make money!! Is that who's suggesting it?? Get a collar..

I have seen a few dogs that were "debarked" and in all cases scarring after the operation caused complications.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 am

My thoughts: If you feel the need to debark you probably shouldn't be owning a dog. IMHO

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 am

I wouldn't even consider it!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 am

A bark is a good way to cover me loading my gun while intruders make their way into my house! :D
Sir Ta' Mater of Chaos - Mater

Firebrand's Smoke & Mirrors - Kenzie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3358

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 am

Mine is already loaded! :D

Charlie

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 am

Absolutly not...As the surgery causes scar tissue that builds up and actually cuts the air off...Only way it is fixed is by more surgery...I have had several dogs in here for training that were so bad they would not make a performance dog...
brenda

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:30 am

How'd you like if I surgically removed your voice box so you couldn't talk? It'd make you feel kinda like Stephen Hawking only not as smart huh? If you don't like a barking dog, buy a cat. JMO

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 am

That procedure is illegal in many states. I know it is in NJ and would guess NY as well.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 am

I'd rehome the dog before I'd debark him.

Dakota Swede

Post by Dakota Swede » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm

For under $100 you can buy a good bark collar. My dogs hate the mail-lady. The collars remind them to watch their manners.
Teacher / Coach / Pheasant Guide and Hunter

Most people are about as happy as they want to be - a Quote by Abraham Lincoln

http://www.SkoglundFarm.com

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Here is some information on the procedure (which does NOT remove the larynx or sever the vocal cords when correctly done) from the National Animal Interest Alliance. I am very well acquainted with it from my association with herding breed owners. I know of only two out of several dozen dogs that had to have the procedure repeated and the regrowth was not obstructing, they simply regained their bark. I personally know of two Shelties and a rough collie who would have been destroyed if not for bark softening.

http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/arch ... rk_qna.htm

I do not think it is a good idea for sporting breeds who may need to communicate when they are in trouble.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 pm

I don't think it is good for any breed or any dog. There may have been cases where it was necessary but even those probably could have been handled different.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Here is some information on the procedure (which does NOT remove the larynx or sever the vocal cords when correctly done) from the National Animal Interest Alliance. I am very well acquainted with it from my association with herding breed owners. I know of only two out of several dozen dogs that had to have the procedure repeated and the regrowth was not obstructing, they simply regained their bark. I personally know of two Shelties and a rough collie who would have been destroyed if not for bark softening.

I do not think it is a good idea for sporting breeds who may need to communicate when they are in trouble.
I thought the exact same thing!

I'm not a fan of the idea, because barking is communication. Like most things though, I'm sure there are cases (as those mentioned) where it is the lesser of two evils.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Grousehunter74

Post by Grousehunter74 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:28 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Here is some information on the procedure (which does NOT remove the larynx or sever the vocal cords when correctly done) from the National Animal Interest Alliance. I am very well acquainted with it from my association with herding breed owners. I know of only two out of several dozen dogs that had to have the procedure repeated and the regrowth was not obstructing, they simply regained their bark. I personally know of two Shelties and a rough collie who would have been destroyed if not for bark softening.

I appreciate the informed replies - I'm just asking the question. It's not like I want to wack-off the dog's tail just to make the dog look more pretty.

We don't have a dog yet, but live in a neighborhood with houses close by. We have neighbors with dogs that yap and bark at all hours and at most anything - it is a pain in the arse to deal with without burning bridges with the neighbors. Having said that, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because my neighbors dog barks like crazy doesn't mean I want to put that back on them with a dog I might aquire. Whatever dog we get, I am confident it will bark (and learn to bark from the neighboring dogs too) and we will deal with it. I doubt it would come to debarking, but it it did, I don't see it as anymore inhumane than wacking-off a dog's tail or having it spayed or neutered for convience sake.

Thanks for the advice, but please spare me the "I'd rehome the dog..." or the "I wouldn't be owning the dog" type comments when your dogs have likely been altered in someway or another.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 am

Tri Tronics Bark Limiter. Great product, great company, great support.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:52 am

Here again is another op that asked a question but didn't want to hear the opinions they asked for. :D
I said it before if you don't want an opinion or answer don't ask the question :!:

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:53 am

Grousehunter74 wrote:

I appreciate the informed replies - I'm just asking the question. It's not like I want to wack-off the dog's tail just to make the dog look more pretty.

Touche!!! boy this thread oughta really get good, now!! :D :D

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Here again is another op that asked a question but didn't want to hear the opinions they asked for. :D
I said it before if you don't want an opinion or answer don't ask the question :!:
+1.

I wouldn't debark a dog, no matter how annoying. My yard is surrounded by barking dogs and mine don't bark. I don't use a bark collar either. You can prevent that sort of thing if you work at it with your dog.

Hey Doc. What are your thoughts on debarking, from a professional standpoint?

And yes, my dogs have alerted me more then a few times that they have been in trouble in the field.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:03 am

One more thing. Wacking off a dog's tail, isn't done necessarily to make it look prettier. It's a function thing. You long tail guys I'm sure have pictures of blood being flung all over the place. No thanks. I hunt with a guy who has a setter and he has to tape the dog's tail to keep this from happening.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:11 am

I appreciate the informed replies - I'm just asking the question. It's not like I want to wack-off the dog's tail just to make the dog look more pretty
I realize you are just asking for advise, but there is no comparison between docking a tail and the debarking procedure. Docking the tail causes no adverse affects and prevents injuries to the dog. The same with removing the dew claws. Spaying or neutering for convenience only is another story IMO.

Charlie

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 am

Grousehunter74 wrote:Thanks for the advice, but please spare me the "I'd rehome the dog..." or the "I wouldn't be owning the dog" type comments when your dogs have likely been altered in someway or another.
You asked for opinions of dog owners, 74, and that was mine. I'd never do the surgery, I would work hard to identify the cause of the barking and address that. As a last resort, I'd use the bark collar.

I do live in a more open area - that's just what I'd do.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am

V-John wrote:
Hey Doc. What are your thoughts on debarking, from a professional standpoint?

honestly, that is one procedure that i havent the faintest idea about, and i cant even recall anything being mentioned about it in school. maybe i was sick, or asleep that day, i dont know. SO, i cant really comment on the side effects (if any), surgical implications, etc. from an ethical standpoint, IF there are minimal to no side effects, then i dont see a problem with it if there are no other means of dealing with the problem. personally, i think i would try the bark collar first.

Danro

Post by Danro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Any unnecessary invasive surgery is a no for me. Seems like the cons far outweigh the pros.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Grousehunter74 wrote:

We don't have a dog yet, but live in a neighborhood with houses close by. We have neighbors with dogs that yap and bark at all hours and at most anything - it is a pain in the arse to deal with without burning bridges with the neighbors. Having said that, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because my neighbors dog barks like crazy doesn't mean I want to put that back on them with a dog I might aquire. Whatever dog we get, I am confident it will bark (and learn to bark from the neighboring dogs too) and we will deal with it. I doubt it would come to debarking, but it it did, I don't see it as anymore inhumane than wacking-off a dog's tail or having it spayed or neutered for convience sake.

Thanks for the advice, but please spare me the "I'd rehome the dog..." or the "I wouldn't be owning the dog" type comments when your dogs have likely been altered in someway or another.
First, I'll have you know that German shorthairs are pretty enough with or without a tail and the remainder of the stubtails can't be helped in the beauty department with either love or money. :)

Perhaps you should contact the Barker Breaker company for some literature to leave in the mailboxes around your neighborhood. I'm kind of kidding, but kind of not.

Truthfully, perhaps you should narrow your search by breed to head off barking problems. From what I have observed at trials, at the dog club, and at the trainer's kennel where I go, setters are the least noisy of the gundogs. Just a personal observation.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

get a bark collar of your dog barks

I am at a trial right now where one of the people here has a dog that had the surgery he is just as annoying....That dog still needs a bark collar as stated he just has a raspy yap yap yap yap yap yap :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:18 am

never surgically. Had a rescue sheltie that was debarked and she would sometimes have to ask to go out by jumping on you after barking forever and no one noticed. You can hear it, but it's much easier to ignore. But a good bark collar and some training for most dogs. If you have a beagle or coon dogs you had just better get used to it. Even small herding are known for it.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am

When one of my dogs is out in her kennel and won't stop barking, I think about using a bark collar or the de-barking surgery. However, this is usually sometime around 1:00 a.m. and I'm not thinking very rationally. On the rare occasion that happens, I simply go out to my kennels and shut the in/out door, locking my dog inside. I tell her goodnight, and leave it at that. That has always stopped the issue.

Honestly, my dogs only bark when there's a very real reason to bark. More often than not, it's when they need something (let out to potty, fed, go on a run) or when someone or something is stirring around outside. We don't need a doorbell because we know when someone pulls in our driveway. If I ever had a dog that barked constantly, and I've seen good dogs do this from time to time, only then would I even use a bark collar.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux