Where is a good place to take a hunting trip?

xtrema2

Where is a good place to take a hunting trip?

Post by xtrema2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Would like to be able to take my pup somewhere this fall bird hunting. My problem is I have no idea where to go. I'd like to hunt public ground instead of having to pay an outfitter and somewhere close to kentucky. Thank you.

Birddogz

Re: Where is a good place to take a hunting trip?

Post by Birddogz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Go to Oscoda county Michigan around Oct. 20th. Tons of woodcock and grouse. Woodcock are the best bird on Earth for young pointing dogs. Grouse are just plain incredible. The king of game birds. Lots of public land, and only 5-6 hours from your location. You did not mention how far you are willing to travel. I can give you more suggestions.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Oscoda is alot farther than 5-6 hours from KY. Its over 4 hours from the Ohio border.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Firemedic wrote:Oscoda is alot farther than 5-6 hours from KY. Its over 4 hours from the Ohio border.
+1 on that I live in northern IL and its almost 6 hours for me to get to the KY border

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Birddogz wrote:Go to Oscoda county Michigan around Oct. 20th. Tons of woodcock and grouse. Woodcock are the best bird on Earth for young pointing dogs. Grouse are just plain incredible. The king of game birds. Lots of public land, and only 5-6 hours from your location. You did not mention how far you are willing to travel. I can give you more suggestions.
Without looking bet it would be closer to 12 hours or more.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm

If you do make it to Michigan, look me up and I'll take you to some great locations. I am off work the whole month of October, so I will already be there. I took out quite a few friends/trialers this year, and they never seen a day they couldn't have shot their limits. Sometimes within a few hours.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 pm

You guys are extremely fortunate. You make 5-6 hours seem like a long trip. I have to drive 8 hours to get to the other side of Oklahoma and I live in Oklahoma. :D

Heck just to Christmas shop, or car shop, or for any big ticket items or even just to go to a mall or a store like Best Buy I have to drive about 110 miles to go down to Amarillo, Tx. 5-6 hours is just a hop, skip, and a jump. :lol:

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:You guys are extremely fortunate. You make 5-6 hours seem like a long trip. I have to drive 8 hours to get to the other side of Oklahoma and I live in Oklahoma. :D

Heck just to Christmas shop, or car shop, or for any big ticket items or even just to go to a mall or a store like Best Buy I have to drive about 110 miles to go down to Amarillo, Tx. 5-6 hours is just a hop, skip, and a jump. :lol:
I wish i was as far out in the boonies as you !

xtrema2

Post by xtrema2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks may make the trip, I'd like to keep the drive under twelve hours one way.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
tommyboy72 wrote:You guys are extremely fortunate. You make 5-6 hours seem like a long trip. I have to drive 8 hours to get to the other side of Oklahoma and I live in Oklahoma. :D

NO YOU DON'T! :D :D :D

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm

kbshorthairs wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:

NO YOU DON'T! :D :D :D
Oh yes I do I wouldn't have to work so hard to get places to hunt

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:34 am

well I would say the grasslands of South Dakota but that is probably a little more than the 12 hours criteria that you have. Personally I have always wanted to do a plantation quail hunt on horseback, but I am not sure if those even exist anymore without going to a preserve. Out west hunting chuckar has always been on my dream sheet as well as hunting Ruffies in the northern woods, hopefully next year I will get on a Ruffie hunt.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 am

I would drive a lot more than 12 hours to go on a good hunt. I'm even going to use my 4 bonus point deer tag in Colorado to shoot a doe just so I can take my dog out on grouse next year... if I get drawn. I found a lot of groups over 6 birds last year at 9500 feet.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 am

gittrdone I only have to drive 5 or 6 miles from where I live to hunt quail. I have access to a 15,000 acre private ranch and to pheasant hunt I only have to drive 10 miles to pheasant hunt semi private land. By semi private I mean it is large tracts of privately owned CRP ground but if you are local and know the farmers like I do it is open to public hunting. Believe it or not the Oklahoma panhandle is sort of a sleeper area for pheasant. We have really good numbers of birds here but most people stay about 40 miles north of us because that part of Kansas gets a lot of attention. If I wanted I could buy an out of state license I could drive the 40-45 miles up to Elkhart, Ks. or 60 miles to Liberal Ks. and hunt quail, pheasant and prairie chicken on Walk in Hunting public land but I usually just stay in state and hunt quail and pheasant. Also 38 miles from me are 2 little known ,other than to the locals, WMA's and NWR's consisting of about 20,000 acres on one of them and about 7,0000 acres on another one that hold good numbers of quail.

As far as hunting and training dogs goes this is a mecca. I also know several kennel owners in the surrounding area so I have access to really well bred dogs at really good prices and sometimes even free.

The only trade off for right now is the fact that I have degrees in finance, marketing, and business management and am not using them. I work at the sheriff's office as a communications officer/911 operator/detention deputy for barely $30,000 a year. In this area most of the jobs are going to be in the lower 30's as far as pay per year. You can find decent jobs with the ability to make in the 50's if you want to work for a corporate pig farm but they all want you to start out for 8 bucks an hour on the farms which I cannot afford to do with 2 young children and a wife. Housing is outrageous here because we have a large influx of immigrant workers that work on the pig farms and at the pork processing plant. A 3 bedroom 2 bath home will cost you about $650-$850 a month to rent when they used to cost about $300-$450 a month 5 years ago. Of a town of about 15,000 people about 60% are hispanic whereas this used to be primarily a small farming community of about 10,000 caucasian farmers. Of that 60% of the hispanic population probably 50-60% are illegal and another 20-30% don't speak English. We also have Guatemalans, Sudanese, Somalian, and Burmese populations that are popping up here as well. Mostly all workers at the pork plant. Some of the smaller towns have great small schools but in Guymon I would never send my kids to that gang banger infested excuse for an educational facility.

Point being is that there is a trade off for living in great bird hunting areas if you have a young family like me. If you are retired this might be a great area but for trying to start a career this place sucks. :D My plans are to some day start my own business here if I can just figure out some type of product or service that I can supply in an area like this year round and make a go of it.