French Brittany HELP

Bowbender

French Brittany HELP

Post by Bowbender » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Hello all I'm new to the board and relatively new to the bird dog world. I've mostly trained labs and primarily for waterfowl. In the waning years of my last dog, I really enjoyed upland hunting more than waterfowl hunting. I promised myself that the next dog was going to be a pointer not to mention a size down from my English lab. I've done a lot of research and I believe my next dog is going to be a French Brittany. I live in western new York and I'm not worried about getting a rangy pointer since most of my hunting will be on preserves. So the French seems to fit the bill; pointer, small, close to heel, good temperament, easier to train, and so some say a lighter shedder. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong about any of these characteristics...

Last I would love to hear for some of you that have a French Brit and recommend a breeder. I'm not in a rush but would like to get the ball rolling and settle on a breeder. Thanks in advance to any responses, it will be a big help to narrow the list. Also if anyone knows of a French Brit in the Buffalo-Rochester ny area that I may see, please pass any info. Thanks again

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: French Brittany HELP

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Welcome! I think most of what you say is true. Brits are smaller and do shed less than a lab but I think all dogs do. They are an easy dog to train normally and as a breed do work closer however that can depend on the individual more than the breed sometimes. Good friendly, happy temperments are also common however I am not sure just what you mean when you say "closer to heel".

I have and raise occasionally a litter from my Brits but they are not what is called the French Brit. My first one were but after several generations being in this country we just call them Brittanys now. They are much like any Brit but have been styled up a little and have a little less coat than many of the French Brits. Also there can be a color difference and maybe our Brits will range a little more but that depends on individuals as well. There are several breeders and quite a few people who have the French Brits that are on this board so I am sure you will hear from them. My advice is to go see some of the dogs and if and when you find what you are looking for then that is where I would go to get a pup rather than pick a breeder. The proof is in the pup and not the breeder. Check and see if there are any trials or hunt test in your area and go see the dogs. It will be harder to find the French Brits at those type venues though than the common breeds we have had here for years but that is how I would start.

Good Luck and if I can be of any help be sure to PM me or however you can.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:55 am

I have had both Amercian Brits and now own the "French Brits". Styled up, is a matter of opinion. :roll: They do run different as as matter of mechanics. Many of the American Brits have been bred for bigger running, some for close working some for show. The "French Brit" is bred for confirmation and hunt, I am sure there are breeders that breed for the attribute they like, which is why the "American Brit" ended up as it is and why there are so many different camps.

The American Brittany is a French Brittany.
The difference is color and body type (kind of), and of course the different camps. Field Trial, types of the diff. venues, show dogs, dual type dogs, hunting families.

Either one will give you what you want. Like anything find the right breeder.

Breeders I like:
LeToulie Nord: Mark Dinsmore, here on this forum: Ohmymy. ND
Patoula Power Kennels: Fred Overby, GA
Rolling Red Prarie Kennels: R.L. Dalrymple. OK
Plumb Creek Kennels: Bill & Kathy Dillon. SD
http://www.frenchbrittany.org/breeders.html
You will find that these dogs are over priced. $800 to $1,600.00 they are worth no more than a $400 Am. Brit.
You will find them more cobby.
I have them because, I have had better luck having very good hunters quicker. Grouse hunting, woodcock, ducks, some geese.
I duck hunt with mine into Nov.
Don't fool yourself, they shed as much as any long haired dog, depending on size of course. The hairs of course are longer and show up in dust tumble weeds if you do not clean in the corners and under couches. etc.
Style, hows my Avatar. she is on point on a grouse.Image
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Bowbender

Post by Bowbender » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:01 am

Thanks for the replys. Keep them coming.

Ezzy, by "close to heel" I meant close working. Preserves and grouse hunting will be the focus of my hunting areas. The challenge that I will have is getting to the breeder seeing that I'm in western New York. Very few even 5 hours away.

Ruffshooter, absolutely love Buster, like to get one like that with those colors. If you get sick of him, send him my way. No shows for me and probably not trials just looking for a birdy and happy temperament type. Again, the smaller package for the house, boat, etc. and yet still a stylish pointer has me settled on the French. Like I said its my first pointer so kind of new in this and would definitely like to start off right. I'll be looking into the breeders you've listed.

Thank you.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:03 am

Agree with Ruffshooter about the overpriced observation. I guess it's a supply/demand thing. Maybe they're like car parts - we are paying for the ship to bring them across the big pond.

Here are a few more French Brittany breeders. http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... ul-breton/

The dogs are also called Epagneul Bretons.

Good luck.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 am

I believe we had some email communication. According to Mapquest I am 3 1/2 hours from Buffalo

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 am

Bowbender,
FB's are very nice bird dogs, make real nice Grouse hunting dogs, and if you are going to hunt the Regulated shooting Grounds the dog should do a great job for you.
If you are looking for a smaller dog than the English Lab, the FB fits that bill also. Not so sure about the shedding thing however, depends on the dog you get. These dogs are decently easy to train and great dogs around the home, some of my older clients owned them, around here they seem to have faded from popularity with the passing of the WWII generation, I really do not know why, they are simply great animals. In Potter County when I was a boy when you drove down Rt #6 there was one of two dogs
sleeping on the front porches, a Ryman Setter or a French Britt. That Particular generation of Grouse hunters demanded a dog who was unusually good around the home for mom, and really got the job done in the Grouse woods, the French Britt definitely fell into that class of bird dog. Because the Ryman Setters were so beautiful the men who picked French Britt Dogs here in our mountains, were very choosey about the looks of their French Britt dogs. Most were simply beautiful, biddable animals with great markings, I do believe Plumb Creek has what is left of that particular linage. Good luck with your choice, the French Britt will make you a fine Gun Dog.
RGD/Dave

Bowbender

Post by Bowbender » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 am

Brittguy, I don't think I talked to you at least my older brain tells me so. If you only have American Britts then I probably didn't since I've focused my search on the French. Btw, Mac is a real beauty. I had one when I was a kid and what a great dog she was but I sticking to a French for the size. I hoping closer to 19 than 20" and around 30ishlb.

Ryman, sounds like I fit better in the WWII generation. I keep saying the same thing, why aren't these guys more popular? Probably a good thing but certainly a struggle to find one closer to home. I'm starting to get use to the fact that I may not see the parents/pups before I purchase which sounds awkward. Still hoping.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 am

I've been doing some googling, trying to find breeders in your area. It certainly seems to be more of a northern to midwestern and southern concentration of breeders, with a few out west. I did find these links, they were as close as I could find. French Brittanies are great dogs, the search will be well worth it. We have one and I'm waiting impatiently for our second. He should have been home by now, but had an accident so the breeder is caring for him till he's all healed up.

http://empirekennels.shutterfly.com/
http://www.parlersfrenchbrittanys.com/
http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... tanys.html

I'm guessing that you've found the official site for the CLUB de l' EPAGNEUL BRETON of the UNITED STATES, INC. but if not, here it is http://www.frenchbrittany.org/

There is also the INTERNATIONAL FRENCH BRITTANY CLUB of AMERICA http://www.frenchbrittany4u.org/home.html

I'm not sure of the differences between the two organizations, other than the CEB registers there dogs with UKC and can be dual registered with AKC, while the IFBCA registers there dogs through the AKC and their own registry. My breeder, Brett Shipley of Tri-River Kennels http://www.tri-riverkennel.com is a member of CEB, as well as Mark Dinsmore, who is ohmymy on the forum.

If you're unable to see the parents run in person, you can always ask the breeder to post video on youtube. There are some great vids out there now, just type in french brittany in the search box. My favs are of the Keranlouan kennel pups. I would love to have 20 little furballs running around my place. :)

Good luck in your seach, and have fun!

Cheryl

yetinme

Post by yetinme » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

I have a French and at 2 years old I would state that shedding isn't an issue. This may change as she gets older but right now if I roll around on the floor with her I don't find hair all over me. She is small at 30 pounds and calms down nicely when in the house and loves to be a lap dog. Outside and hunting she runs around like a puppy. In the field hunting she runs very hard and scares me because of the sticks sticking up and here short nature. I make her wear a skid plate to hopefully avoid serious injury. It drives her nuts but stiches drive me nuts :)

I did get my dog from one of the breeders listed on the websites posted and won't recommend them. If you PM me I will let you know which one but won't publicly call them out as it wasn't anything to do with the dog but more in the dealings with them.

We made the FB choice beacause they were supposed to be a little calmer, smaller and good family pets. She is every one of those compared to other britts that I have seen.