Georgia Giant Quail for training

High Brass

Georgia Giant Quail for training

Post by High Brass » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:43 am

Thinking of raising quail in central Illinois for training and the table. Is there room for another game farm near Decatur in your opinion? Is anyone traing with Georgia Giants (launchers, Johnny houses, etc.); I understand they weigh about a pound but still flush and fly well. I need your input.

Thanks
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

Blue Briar

Re: Georgia Giant Quail for training

Post by Blue Briar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:45 am

Never had any luck raising Giants of any sort and getting them to fly well. Good luck

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:08 pm

I think there is always room. I know over around the Quincy area there are very few quail to be found. I ran a trial by Terre Haute, In. that used Georgia Giants, i'm not sure where he got them from but they worked great. Make sure you post on here when you get some ready to sell. We are hoping to get some trials started in the west central Illinois area and will be looking for bird suppliers. Maybe others tht raise gamebirds should start a post with where they are located what they have and prices.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:23 am

I have a friend that raise's (Georgia Giants) bob white's and they fly as well as any pen raised quail; they fly a lot better if you take the feed out a day ahead of useing them.
That's what I do, and it works for me. :)

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 am

If you're going to get into raising quail for meat forget bobwhites and their various strains altogether and raise quick maturing coturnix or Jap quail. Bobwhites are not the easiest birds to raise and if you do, expect to come under much closer scrutiny of your state's DNR.

Raising good healthy flight birds is an art. There are lots of breeders that raise birds that are poor flyers that many sportsmen, dog trainers and wildlife professionals are wondering if those fat pen birds may affect the genetic integrity of wild populations if they make it when released and allowed to go wild. I believe you will hear a continued call for more regulation and much more stringent controls of any birds released outside of a pen. It's already occurring in many areas.

Talk to the guys that have already gotten out of the business.

Posts could improve greatly if posters would tell what state they're from.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:51 pm

If you get some good flying birds going let us know, im driving bout that far to get birds anyhow.

Smoothbean, whered you run a trial near Terre Haute?
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 am

I need a little info please. Trying to figure out production schedules to meet everyones needs and I don't field trial: are there trials both spring and fall? If so when does the season start? Seems to me a few years ago I also called half the producers in the state and couldn't find birds for a johnny house in March and April. Is this a peak time of demand or are there other times when the need is great.

Thanks
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 am

High Brass wrote:I need a little info please. Trying to figure out production schedules to meet everyones needs and I don't field trial: are there trials both spring and fall? If so when does the season start? Seems to me a few years ago I also called half the producers in the state and couldn't find birds for a johnny house in March and April. Is this a peak time of demand or are there other times when the need is great.

Thanks
Bob
Bob,

The most likely answer you have a hard time funding birds in March/April is that producer really don't want to burn the propane/natural gas to heat the rearing areas. I know locally here in MN the spring bird is very young for the first couple of HT's in mid/late April. Small, poorly feathered and poor to non flying.

Dan
Dan

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey jimbo&rooster
I have ran trials at Royal Flush Hunting Preserve at Rosedale, In. http://www.royalflushent.com/
Prairie Grove Hunting Preserve at Brazil, In. Not sure if they are planning any there this year or not.
Larry Reed puts on the trial at Brazil and also puts one on at Marshal, Il.
and also not to far from you I have ran trials at The Wabash Quail Club near Mt. Carmel, Il.
These are U.F.T.A. trials. Here is a link to the website if you are interested. They are a really good time. Do you run any trials?
http://www.ufta-online.com/index.php