Dumb Question....

rkappes

Dumb Question....

Post by rkappes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 am

This is probably a dumb question and I think I know the answer. I was wondering if their are any type of trials that you can run a mutt in? I don't really know anything about trials. I plan on reading up on them so at least I have a general understanding. I think the camaraderie, competition, and learning that comes from a trial would be priceless. I'm sure the answer is no, which is understandable. Just figured I would ask. Thanks for the input.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Dumb Question....

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:43 am

Not 100% sure but I think the hunt tournaments/Money hunts you can
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:51 am

Now if your dog appears to be a purebred dog

as per AKC website

Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP): The program that provides purebred dogs a second chance.

There are various reasons why a purebred dog might not be eligible for registration. The dog may be the product of an unregistered litter, or have unregistered parents. The dog's papers may have been withheld by its breeder or lost by its owner. Sometimes, it is the dog itself that was "lost." There are many dogs enrolled in the PAL/ILP program after they have been surrendered or abandoned, then adopted by new owners from animal shelters or purebred rescue groups. The PAL/ILP program allows the dog and owner a second chance at discovering the rewards of participating in AKC events.
What AKC events may a PAL/ILP dog Participate in?

The Purebred Alternative Listing Program/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP) is designed to allow dogs to participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events. The AKC Events that a PAL/ILP dog can participate in are:

* Agility Trials (All Breeds)
* Earthdog Trials (Small Terriers and Dachshunds)
* Herding Tests and Trials ( Herding Breeds, Rottweilers and Samoyeds)
* Hunt Tests (Most Sporting Breeds and Standard Poodles)
* Junior Showmanship (All Breeds)
* Lure Coursing (Sighthounds)
* Obedience Trials (All Breeds)
* Rally Trials (All Breeds)
* Tracking Tests (All Breeds)

Once enrolled in the PAL/ILP program, entering AKC events is as easy as with a registrable dog. The only difference is that instead of an AKC registration number, you would list the dog's PAL/ILP number on the Entry form.
How can you apply for a PAL/ILP number?

Applications for enrollment into the Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege can be downloaded or by emailing PAL@akc.org. When requesting a form via email please include your name and current mailing address. Remember, PAL/ILP numbers can only be issused to AKC registrable breeds.

The following must be submitted with a completed PAL/ILP application:

* Two recent and clear color photographs of the dog;
o one full front view showing the facial characteristics of the dog;
o one view showing the full side profile of the dog standing on a flat surface (not grass).

(ALL PHOTOS SHOULD BE TAKEN AT EYE LEVEL IN A STANDING POSITION, INCLUDE THE WHOLE DOG IN THE PHOTO. DO NOT SHOOT DOWN ON THE DOG.)
* A non-refundable $35.00 application fee.

Once compiled, the completed PAL/ILP application along with the items listed above should be mailed to:

The American Kennel Club/PAL/ILP
PO Box 900059
Raleigh, NC 27675-9059
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:39 am

Local training clubs sometimes hold non-sanctioned fun match type trials. You might look into that.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 am

The dogs that have PAL(Purebred Alternative Listing) or ILP(Idefinite Listing Privilege) numbers from AKC can earn AKC titles just like the registered dogs. They can only earn the titles that come after the name(hunt test titles, agility titles, tracking titles, obedience titles, etc.)---They can NOT earn the titles that come before the dogs name(Field trial title, show title, etc.). In order to get a PAL or ILP number see K9 post above. We have had a few rescue dogs run in our Brittany Clubs Hunt Tests that have earned hunting test titles.
The reason AKC wants pictures of the dog is to make sure the rescue dog looks like a pointing breed. If you have a pointing breed crossed with a Rott and it looks like a Rott in the pictures, you probably not going to get a number.
Contact the AKC for a clearer idea of what is needed.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 am

AKC does provide a number for and allow into performance events dogs of indiscriminate lineage, aka mutts. They started in Obedience and Agility and Rally this year. I think it would be up to the member clubs to allow them in Hunt Tests and that is unlikely. You have to remember, events are held by clubs, not by the AKC. All breed clubs, like those who hold Obedience trials, are much more receptive to mixed breeds than are breed specific clubs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:10 pm

If you want to do the versatile breed thing, breed registration is not required to run VHDF tests. If your dog is registered, they'll note the breed in the results. If not, it's just listed in the "Other" category.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks everyone for all the great info! I appreciate it very much!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:38 am

This question comes up quite often.A newbie starts out with a pup or dog with no intentions of ever wanting to compete in any way.They get stared training,spending more & more time with their canine companion & see how much fun & rewarding it can be.The next thing you know they would like to try some doggy games.
Tha's what it's all about enjoying the relationship you build between your dog & you & having fun!!! :wink: