what to do

Rich Baker

what to do

Post by Rich Baker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:29 pm

I am trying to figur out what breed to get. I had a golden that just wasnt working out ,it was a rescue dog that just didnt like birds. So Here is the deal Ive had Goldens, labs, and a German short hair mutt that was crossed with something. never could get it to point. I spent the last year working with some pro retrever trainers helping them with their labs, which is where I get myself confused. I dont like to hunt ducks anymore. I live in the willamette valley where its a duck and goose show but I can hope over the cascades and Im into some nice quail ,chucker and pheasant country. That said we have a bunch of grouse as well. I am really drawn to upland hunting as that was all I did as a kid growing up in Michigan. I cut my teeth on Grouse and woodcock. I miss it. Around this place I have ducks and people and sadly its hard to hunt ducks when you are one guy drawing a number to see if you get to hunt the refuge. I have went to our duck hunting area 11 times this year . I get up at 3am and drive to the refuge and wait in line with 300 other guys to draw a chip. Ive got to hunt only 2 times and they were crappy blinds.
So Im thinking about a couple of options.
1. give up on hunting and just fish :cry:
2. get an upland dog and make a few trips a year to chase birds in eastern oregon.
fact is I miss having a furry buddy to share my hunts with. and Im kind of tired of labs
so.
English setter
German wirehair
britt
I have no experiance with these breeds. Im looking for dog that can hunt mid range to close as Im on foot. for grouse, chucker and quail with a few pheasants thrown in hear and there. can sleep in the house and be a member of the family and get along with my Son Christian (5) and the wife. Im interested in hearing opinions about these choices. Thanks Rich

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: what to do

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 pm

I would find some clubs maybe even find some trials Go to different breed club trials and NSTRA trials NSTRA you will see different breeds or hunt tournaments near you and spend time seeing different dogs get a good look at different dogs as there are nut cases in all breeds

Then when you want to narrow it down some more look to the breeder. Are they breeding dogs that BOTH have the desired traits for being a good bird dog or are they just breeding two dogs that have papers...Having a nice pedigree is nice but they don't make a dog. I have seen some super nice pedigreed couch potatoes

Some times at trials or through people at the trials you can find a started dog that maybe not quite a good trial dog but still will make a fine hunting dog.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rich Baker

Post by Rich Baker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 pm

kninebirddog wrote: Some times at trials or through people at the trials you can find a started dog that maybe not quite a good trial dog but still will make a fine hunting dog.
Bingo! I like that idea. I dont want a trial dog. I have a friend that go one of them . heck you needed a horse to keep up to him

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:29 pm

NSTRA trials are walking format where the dog has to point and unless there is a safety issue all birds pointed are shot for a retrieve and the dog has to run the full thirty minutes

www,nstra.org look under regions for trials near you

also in AKC there are some walking gun dog stakes...Might look www.akc.org under events to find some trials near you

Even check out the hunt tests watch the senior and Master hunt classes
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:06 am

I don't know where your at in the valley but Green Valley Hunting and Retriever Club is in Eugene and Port Van in Portland. Both are NSTRA clubs. Green Valley has training days once a month, Not sure what month they'll srart. Check the NSTRA web site and contact info is on there.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Rich Baker

Post by Rich Baker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:05 pm

OK Im sold on the french brittny Ive read a ton on this breed and it seams like a perfect fit for my home. Maybe I can com visit ya don and you can give me some pointers? LOL Now If i can just find a good pup with out driving all over creation and back.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:26 pm

There is a real nice breeding right now posted on GDF by ohmymy111 the sire is Vern...one of the most winning EB aka french britt out there right now he is hunted and trialed He is taking 2 more deposits.

Rich Baker

Post by Rich Baker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm

His place is a long way from Oregon. I just as soon get something a bit closer to home. I have no doubt his dogs are great. but im not planing on competing. I just want a hunting buddy and Im not in a hurry.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 pm

From what you describe, I would go with a AM. Brittany. Usually close hunters, best I ever hunted with was kept in the home, but was awesome on grouse. And I own a couple Llewellin Setter's and am probably going to get another Britt in the spring.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Rich,

Welcome to the world of EB's! You will not regret your choice. I'm picking up my pup in a week-and-a-half. This will be our 2nd EB. They are just awesome dogs for the foot hunter and make great house dogs too.

Have you found the official web site for EB's yet? http://www.frenchbrittany.org/ They have a small breeder list on the site. The closest one to you looks to be in NV, but I would guess that by contacting one of them, they would be able to steer you in the direction of someone closer. I've got an email in to my breeder asking for info. If he has any suggestions, I'll pass them along to you.

Have fun looking!

Cheryl