For those in the FT loop. Any word from the

BrassVols

For those in the FT loop. Any word from the

Post by BrassVols » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 pm

National Amateur Shooting Dog Invitational Championship in Greenville, Florida?
He's much too modest to say, but our own board member Dereck Layne and his Layne's Rebel Addition are one of 12 dogs that were invited to this championship beginning today.
For those not familiar with him, he's a heckuva good guy with some super dogs.
Congratulations Dereck, best of luck, just being invited is quite the honor!

Dereck Layne

Re: For those in the FT loop. Any word from the

Post by Dereck Layne » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks, Brassvols for the kind words. Friday started very humid and in the low sixty's, so many ( I included) didn't wear all there rain gear and got very wet before lunch. The great thing about running on the dixie plantation is it's all wild birds. So just like everywhere else, if the birds are not movin, it's hard to get any pointed. Lots of great dogs went thru there Friday morn with serveral UPs and very few finds. I was fortunate enough to have the brace before lunch with Tim Moore's dog Hardroad Jesse. "Molly" (Layne's Rebel Addition) had a very slow start, with her only being in the piney woods three times, it really showed startin out. I had a find with in minutes, which everthing was in order. Went on with Molly, she still tryin to get used to the "chopper trails". Then we found both dogs pointin and I thought Molly was backin Jesse, so as we got to our dogs birds started coming up, kind of closer to Molly, so I thought it was a divided find. I shot and then the unthinkable happen, for some reason Molly decided to release on her own, which is NOT acceptable. She went about 10 feet and with me yellin whoa, she came to a stop, which in my mind ended my bid to be in the call back. With an invitational you stay on the ground as long as you dont interfere with brace mate. Molly went on to have 3 finds and 3 backs and I think Jesse had 4 finds and a UP. The two dogs that stood out to me is Jesse and Jack and Fran Miller's Lester's Golddigger. I was planning on running this morn but due to heavy rain moving in, they decided to cancel today and start Sunday. So I decided without anymore days left to take off from work and a baby due any day, it would be better to scratch and come on home. It was a great experience! Will try to keep you updated on call back and winner. DL

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:03 pm

And what an experience to even compete on those grounds! I rode at the Continental field trial twentyfive or so years ago when Miss Geraldine was still living and was fortunate to have been invited by her to the Big house to see the famous Osthaus painting hanging within and to view the life sized bronze statue of the great Tennessee Walking horse Midnight Sun standing outside in the beautiful garden grounds. That was my grand experience there. I felt I was a lucky guy.
You have the experience of competing on the Dixie Plantation, and along with Ames, the most famous and prestigious field trial grounds in America. The best to you, your family and your new little one. Give your dog a pat on the head. It sounds to me you're living life to the fullest. Well done. An old fashioned phrase...Bully!

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Hate it for you & Molly Dereck Congrats on getting the invite i know you enjoyed being there.What a great honor :D

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I had the good fortune to be there and to meet Dereck Layne for the first time and found him to be a very nice gentleman and had the pleasure of having dinner with him, the Millers and Dr. Terry Terlep Friday evening.
I was very disappointed this morning that he did would not get to finish because of the weather however Dereck seemed to take it all in stride. Dereck has a lot to be proud of not everybody makes it to this level in such a short time.
Dereck I hope all went well on your trip home and if you get a chance try and straighten Sonny out were running out of
time on that ol'boy. :lol:

Dereck Layne

Post by Dereck Layne » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks Benji, it was nice to meet you and finally put a face with the name. Try to keep them Miller's straight, they are a handful! :lol: Here is the call back:
1st brace-
Lester's Golddigger, Jack & Fran Miller
Grateful Spirit, Sammy Giddens
2nd brace-
Hard Up Road Jessie, Tim Moore
Cox's Arc Fault, Brent Cox
3rd brace-
Jamback's Sugar, Johnny Capps
Great River Magnum, Brian Sanchez

Congrads to all that made the call back. Ya'll deserve to be there.
Good Luck to all and may the best dog win!

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:49 pm

The field minus Dereck

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Them tails sure do make some fine handles......
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm

And we have a winner
Lester's Gold Digger- Jack & Fran Miller and RU Hard up Road Jessie-Tim Moore
Last edited by Pineywoods on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dereck Layne

Post by Dereck Layne » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Jack, Fran, and Tim, I 'm very proud of you guys! DL :D