pigeons

BrettBryan

pigeons

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:23 am

Someone help me out. I have about 15 homing pigeons. But, starting last summer, they can't seem to raise young. They will hatch them out and when the young pigeons get about 3 weeks to a month old, they will die.

I know it's got to be some type of infection or disease. I've tried giving them a couple antibiotics in their water. The 15 older pigeons seem to be doing fine. But, the young just keep die'ing on me.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,
Brett
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

Fieldmaster

Re: pigeons

Post by Fieldmaster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am

Brett ,
Put a cap full of bleech to 1 gallon of water. Are you using good pigeon grit ?

Bobby

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:46 am

The grit & bleach will help alot & probably solve your problem. :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:53 am

Crushed oyster shell should take care of the problem.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks guys. I will try that. It was getting me depressed. I like seeing them raise. They have been die'ing all the time on me for quite some time. I will try the bleach and grit.

Thanks!

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:20 am

Cracked corn will cause a prob on young birds sometimes, it doesnt get broken up in moms digestive system, will come out an suffocate the young birds. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 am

Grit or bleach in water has nothing to do with young dieing.Grit(including crused oyster shell) helps in the food digestive process of the adults and bleach in the water helps to fight gut bacteria.It's more then likely Paratyphoid.Apparently your adult birds are carrying it.The young get it and usually die in the nest at about 2-3 weeks old.Will post a link at the bottom for the medication I use.Important to medicate your birds every year(I do mine twice a year.)Especially before breeding starts.Alot of pigeon racing people are using medpet now instead of vacinating.Hope it helps you,it did me.Medpet will cover most of the common diseases pigeons get.
https://www.birdsupplynh.com/catalog/pr ... ts_id=1797
Dog On Point!!

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks Bojack, when i started looking at meds to give the pigeons, it was mind boggling. There are so many different medicines out there its crazy. And i don't know exactly what's causing the problem. So, it's hard to figure out what exact medicine i need for them. I'll try the medpet in the water as well. Something's got to work.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:03 pm

The bleach or apple cider vinager will help to keep them healthy (1 Tbl sp to gallon of water),Once they are healthy.The best preventative is a Clean coup and Clean water.Poop,and dampness and dirty water can cause disease.A freind of mine who use to race professionally in the Gulf Coast region adds medicated turkey pellets to his feed also.Many times bringing in birds from outside sources that don't have healthy birds will start disease also.Most think of pigeons of just training tools,which they are,But they still need to be kept healthy, the same as our dogs.
Dog On Point!!