GDF Junkie

Re: what is everybody's favorite forum?

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Try rateMD.com and dentist referral.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:10 pm

That is a straight recommendation for a good place to post about your experience.

tro182

Post by tro182 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:14 pm

New to the forum and the gun dog world and it looks as if some people get a little uppity on here.....way to make new people welcome.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:22 pm

tro182 wrote:New to the forum and the gun dog world and it looks as if some people get a little uppity on here.....way to make new people welcome.
One of my buddies posted here a few times with some questions about his new pup. He was put off very quickly by some rude people being jerks, still trying to get him to come back. Like I tell him hang tight, most people are real good, you do get a few that are iffy. Don't let the bad ones run you off. Too much good info and too much combined experience not to take advantage of. Also remember it is hard to guess inflection/tone from reading what someone posted something that sounds bad 90% of the time wasn't meant that way.

tro182

Post by tro182 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I understand. It gets like this on a lot of forums from time to time. This is just the first time I have seen a moderator get in the trenches. :( Most of the time sight moderators take care of the issues and make it unseen. I like the forum just puts a different slant to it.

Back on subject...I like Versatiledogs.com...But this forum seems to be the best
Last edited by tro182 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:30 pm

shadymeadows wrote:cool, thanks.

Anybody ever been on gundog breeders forum?
I have never seemed like there was a much going on there or any other forum I've been on to keep me coming back as much as i come to this one. I'm a little ADD and if there isn't enough stimuli i get bored and move on.

Pointers_31

Post by Pointers_31 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:30 pm

I like to linger around here and see what others are saying. I sometimes even pick up a few tidbits here and there. But my favorite forum is thefieldtrialer.com. Lots of good information on there and not too much leg hicking.

admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Sorry to hear that your friend had an unpleasant experience. Please invite your friend back!

The mods do a really good job of keeping folks civil, but lots of people have STRONG opinions about bird dogs and sometimes this comes across the wrong way.

-- Rob
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Forums are no different than the rest of the world......gotta take the good with the bad, but there is a ton of knowledge to be found here. Developing good techniques to gather that knowlege can be a challenge for some people.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 pm

GDF is my favorite forum.

I also visit Shorthairs.net and UtahBirdDogs.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 pm

ACooper wrote:
tro182 wrote:New to the forum and the gun dog world and it looks as if some people get a little uppity on here.....way to make new people welcome.
One of my buddies posted here a few times with some questions about his new pup. He was put off very quickly by some rude people being jerks, still trying to get him to come back. Like I tell him hang tight, most people are real good, you do get a few that are iffy. Don't let the bad ones run you off. Too much good info and too much combined experience not to take advantage of. Also remember it is hard to guess inflection/tone from reading what someone posted something that sounds bad 90% of the time wasn't meant that way.

Wow I just realized what an incoherent ramble I posted! :D

My buddy still lurks but wont post. I will get him back.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 pm

The moderators have a thankless job and I appreciate all the work they put in. The is called GUN DOG FORUM. Posting an inflammatory rant about a dentist would have probably been better suited for another venue, so getting one's panties in a wad over that thread being locked might be overly sensitive. IMO.

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Lots of good folks on here :!:

admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:21 am

@shadymeadows -- thanks. Brother Steve & I almost do. Soon as a few details clear.

But GDF ***REALLY*** belongs to you guys. We just own some PHP code and image files. ;)

Grant has done an awesome job. Most folks have NO IDEA how much work the MODS put in. I'm floored at how awesome they are...

I tend to run hot and cold. I may be in here all day at the office and then 5 hours a night after work, and then I may disappear for weeks at a time.

I'm making some tweaks the board's PHP code, and trying to help make the MODS' job easier by automating some things.

I'll try to get Steve on here. I think he would REALLY enjoy it, but he's got a wife and 3 kids, 16 dogs, and 25 some-odd employees to manage.

My life is a lot simpler.
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:01 am

Bass Boat Central is a good forum, I especially like to check the daily funnies once a week. A little humor goes a long ways to lighten the mood, seems to keep the "my boat is better than yours" people in check. Maybe GDF can add the topic.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 am

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary
surgeon . As she laid her pet on the table, the vet
pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's
chest.
After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and
sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has
passed away."
The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the
vet..
"How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean
you haven't done any testing on him or anything.
He might just be in a coma or something."
The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the
room. He returned a few minutes later with a black
Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner looked on
in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his
front paws on the examination table and sniffed the
duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the
vet with sad eyes and shook his head.
The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out
of the room. A few minutes later he returned with
a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately
sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back
on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and
strolled out of the room.
The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry,
but as I said, this is most definitely, 100%
certifiably, a dead duck."
The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys
and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman..
The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill.
"$150!"she cried, "$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!"
The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my
word for it, the bill would have been $20, but with the
Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now $150."

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:44 am

Ha ha. Good one, Quailrunner.

x Bred Pointer

Post by x Bred Pointer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:02 am

Upland Journal site and the Coverdog site are very good.

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ik ... nboard.cgi

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:12 am

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 am

Being a pointing dog guy, my favorite forum is Pointing Dog Journal forum. GDF is great also, especially the health and nutrition area. :)
big steve

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 am

Wildwestgundogs.com is another good website. A lot of the same guys from out west who are on this site. It isn't as good as this site but it is very informative as well and really cool pics of western hunting. This is by far the best site on the net dealing with gundogs. I have looked not because I want to leave this site but because I wanted to belong to another one as good as this one and I have found nothing that comes even close to this site for information sharing, pictures, the mostly friendly people and dog, horse, and hunting and trialing gear sales. This is in my opinion as good as it gets for a gun dog website. Keep up the good work admin. and it would be nice to see some upgrades to the site as well. I am not sure what but surely someone has some ideas to make an already fantastic site even better. There is always room for improvement. Perhaps a separate forum within the site where members could swap out hunts or something of that nature.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:25 am

I regularly visit this forum, along with PDJ, Versatile, and Field Trialer, and enjoy them all. This one probably offers the widest range of topics, and is the most active. PDJ is good, but seems to have far fewer participants, so there are a lot of "insider" threads that don't make much sense to anyone else. Versatile is oriented towards the NAVHDA crowd, and I found a lot of great advice there over the years. While I'm not a trialer, I enjoy Field Trialer as I can learn a lot there, and being a pointer guy, there is always a wealth of info on bloodlines, etc. I used to visit Shooting Sportsman, but that seemed dominated by the expensive english double / Range Rover / shooting knickers crowd, with one very active and negative poster whose goal seems to be informing everyone else as to how stupid they are. Got old pretty quick.

Keep up the good work on this one.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:38 am

I hang around here and lurk more than post. A lot of great information that has really helped my dogs be better. Me being more of the hunting type thatn the trialing type i also spend alot of time on Upland Journal. There are alot of great people over there also and just like here the mods keep it civil.
I have been on K-9 Birddogs site but I haven't in a while and a very new site that I don't go to very often is Steady with Style. It is growing and it is interesting to watch it grow but I don't contribute much because I am in receive mode most of the time.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Try rateMD.com and dentist referral.com
touche...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:40 pm

GDF!!!! I know when Grant set this up he had many things that he changed for what people requested..That is why it is hands down the most popular Forum going. It is what people wanted..............
brenda

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:02 pm

I really like GDF and believe it is set up correctly (or has been to this point) and I hope it continues. Unlike other forums, GDF has a good level of security, moderator involvement (90% of the time the correct amount), let's the members drive the content and answers rather than the owner or moderators. I think that is why it has been successful and hope it continues. Here are others I frequent, some of which have already been noted. Cover Dog, Field Trial Central, Field Trialer, Gundog Breeders, The Shooting Sportsman, Lake-Link, Versatile Dogs, Horseback Field Trials. After a while you can tell which ones have the foundation to continue with quality content and which ones are there for prideful boasting.

admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:25 pm

snips wrote:he changed for what people requested..That is why it is hands down the most popular Forum going.
My goal for GDF is to stay true to the Founder's vision while making sure regular members get what they need.

PLEASE tell us if we do something you don't like OR if we don't do something you WOULD like...

-- ROB
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 pm

PntrRookie wrote:I really like GDF and believe it is set up correctly (or has been to this point) and I hope it continues. Unlike other forums, GDF has a good level of security, moderator involvement (90% of the time the correct amount), let's the members drive the content and answers
Good info. One good thing about me being admin is that I don't really have a position on most of the issues that seem to polarize folks, and everyone on here has a better hunting dog than me, and can shoot better than I can. ;)

Doing some of the heavy lifting on a working forum is like learning to drive STICK in public and on TV in the middle of a road rally.

I *WILL* mess some stuff up, but I'll fix it as fast and as best as I can. With Grant not being on call, I have to be able to fly this thing with full confidence because things change so much on the WWW. I don't know how many people know how smart Grant is. He has written some awesome software AND has done SO MUCH more than just install PHPbb and hit enter.

My job here is to keep the lights on, make the hardest working MODS on the Interwebs' jobs a little easier, keep regular members interested, organize some of the 25,000 pages of content, feature the best posts out, drive NEW blood to the site, and anything else y'all need... -- ROB
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC