Deposit is down for my first pup!

4ShotB

Deposit is down for my first pup!

Post by 4ShotB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 am

Want to thank everyone...this site has been especially helpful to me either through lurking/researching on old threads or in PM communication with several people since I have joined. Pup won't be home until mid-late to late Feb. so now I have to research training methods (which I have started by looking at the thereads in the HoF and training forums here), get ahold of some books or DVD's and gather up supplies.This is also my first ever dog...so I am excited (and nervous a bit) too.

With all that being said, is there a good site or sites "out here on the internet" that y'all would recommend for dog and training supplies? Of course I've got a Wally World, a library and a co-op here close by but that limits me somewhat. The only book my library has on bird dogs is one that isn't too well thought of on this site so I'll probably stay clear of that one. As far as feed, I'm going to start out with what the kennel uses and then switch over if I can't get that locally. The kennel is quite a ways off from me but the co-op here has a good variety of stuff that people on here use and seem to like. Thanks for any and all advice and early wishes for a Merry Christmas.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Deposit is down for my first pup!

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 am

4ShotB wrote:With all that being said, is there a good site or sites "out here on the internet" that y'all would recommend for dog and training supplies?
http://www.gundogsupply.com/
http://www.lcsupply.com/
http://www.tritronics.com/
http://www.dogtra.com/
http://www.cabelas.com/
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 am

4ShotB wrote:This is also my first ever dog...so I am excited (and nervous a bit) too.
ditto!

You and I need to be friends! :D I am looking to get my pup home around June or July. I have not put down my deposit yet, heck I havent even chosen a breeder yet. But when I do I will be looking you up for the "I wish I would have..." lessons.

Have fun with your new pup... I can only imagine the excitement!

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Looks like a bunch of us in the same position. I'm really glad I found this site. Our new pup comes home at the end of January!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:40 pm

This summer for me, folks. It is fish or cut bait time on choosing the dog since summer pups are conceived in February-March.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 pm

I started four years ago with my first bird dog, a Brittany. When she was 2 I knew I was hooked for life so I spent more time and money waiting on the 2nd dog. She's great. My wife is due with our first child, a son, in the middle of January. My buddy knowing my hunting is about to slow down ask, "Are you going to get another dog?" I said, "Oh Heck yeah......I just don't know when." You guys getting your first dogs might as well buy two kennels and try and get a bulk discount. :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm

4ShotB wrote:Want to thank everyone...this site has been especially helpful to me either through lurking/researching on old threads or in PM communication with several people since I have joined. Pup won't be home until mid-late to late Feb. so now I have to research training methods (which I have started by looking at the thereads in the HoF and training forums here), get ahold of some books or DVD's and gather up supplies.This is also my first ever dog...so I am excited (and nervous a bit) too.

With all that being said, is there a good site or sites "out here on the internet" that y'all would recommend for dog and training supplies? Of course I've got a Wally World, a library and a co-op here close by but that limits me somewhat. The only book my library has on bird dogs is one that isn't too well thought of on this site so I'll probably stay clear of that one. As far as feed, I'm going to start out with what the kennel uses and then switch over if I can't get that locally. The kennel is quite a ways off from me but the co-op here has a good variety of stuff that people on here use and seem to like. Thanks for any and all advice and early wishes for a Merry Christmas.

What kind of pup are you getting?

tro182

Post by tro182 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Mine comes home in Jan. Just got the new e collar today in the mail. I have been out hunting a few times this year and it is hard and not much fun without a dog. I wont have that problem again!

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:10 pm

[quote="Redfishkilla"] My wife is due with our first child, a son, in the middle of January. /quote]

One of my sons had bad allergy issues so we stayed away from a dog or even a cat but the kids are grown now. I told my better half that I wanted to practice on kids anyway cause a good bird dog was too important to mess up on! Y'all can imagine how she liked that but she is on board with this!

Congratulations on the first youngun, they are truly a blessing!

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:14 pm

ACooper wrote:
4ShotB wrote:

What kind of pup are you getting?
I am getting an English setter. Looked at near about everything, including spaniels,but i had never hunted over anything but setters and retrievers. I am tickled with my selection and I just like the looks of them (alot) which don't hurt none either.

tro182

Post by tro182 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:17 pm

My wife loves the looks of a setter but did not want the hair problem with the kids. Good luck with the new pup. Put some pics up when available.