Hello again folks...

WiskeyJaR

Hello again folks...

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Been a while since I've posted, hows folks been?

Have me self a new pup, a Boykin Spaniel (Romar's "Lil' Miss Sally" ) Here she is hanging out on me desk at 6 weeks old. http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... dog414.jpg

She is a smart pup, quick to learn what I ask of her. Here she is carrying her frist live pigeon at 3 months, http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... 10/079.jpg

And one more pic of Sally in her frist snow at 4 months, "The flying spaniel" http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... ow/630.jpg

She is 5 months old now and coming along just grand.

Ok, enough about me, whats the other folks been up too? Hows the birds falling this season?

WiskeyJaR

Meller

Re: Hello again folks...

Post by Meller » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:58 am

She's sure a looker! :)

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Congrats on your new pup and welcome back!

demi

Post by demi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi JR!

Welcome back and congrats on the new pup! She looks awesome. :) Lots of good days ahead for you and the pup!

We have added another Snowy Oaks LM to our home...She is 5 1/2 months old and doing awesome. We have been out hunting with her and Desi nearly every weekend during hunting season. She is lots of fun and doing well.

We've seen lots of birds out hunting, but that doesn't necessarily mean lots are falling... :wink: We do manage, however, to give the girls something to retrieve once in a while.

Looks like we'll be sharing training/hunting stories once again. :)

Attached is a pic of Meeka retrieving last weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:57 am

Welcome back! Hope things are going well with the Boykin. The only one that I've seen in person was being trained by Rick at Walnut Hill. That dog was great! I could see where it'd been super in some of the pheasant hunting I did in ND.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello folks, thanks for the "welcome back" :)

Some of you may remeber Dutchess...(points to avaitar) she has since past on :(. I looked on the LMCNA site for litters, none was available at the time. Wife found a Boykin Breeder in the next town and surprised me with a Little Brown Bundle of joy. Ifn folks remeber, Dutchess was me frist ever "hunting dog" and learned lots in training her. Had 2 good seasons with here and was really starting to come together.

Sally, the little boykin, sure has been a treasure. As a flusher, there is centain training aspects that are different then with a pointer, but is fun learning the differences. I can deffently see me self in a couple years after "finishing" a flusher, where I will get a nother Large Munsterlanders...GREAT DOGS FOLKS :)...and a Little Boykin to hunt together. The Boykin breeder I got Sally from hunts chuckars in E.Or. using a GSP as the pointer and then sending his Boykins in to flush. Says he has tons of success this way....not sure what his success is compared to, but he has lots of pictures with plenty of birds...<shrugs>

I don't run trails, so not really afraid of "cross training" as some folks have called it, running both a pointer and a flusher together. As long as I get meat on the table and the dogs are having fun...thats all that counts in me book :)

Demi, Meeka is looking great, Love the looks L.M. have :) Give Desi a good ear rub from me.

Thanks again folks for the "welcome back".
WiskeyJaR

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 pm

I was kind of wondering what happened to Dutchess. If I remember right she had some heart problems identified when she was young, is that right? Sorry to hear of your loss, what did she die of?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Yes she had a heart mumior, or however ya spelling it. That never seemed to bother her when out hunting, she would just crash once home after hunting. Would hunt hard for 2-3 hours, then nap hard for 4-5 hours.
I had trained her to NOT go near the road, for 3 years she never went near road. One day she just bolted bolted out of gate and did not respond to me command to stop....(sighs)...it just takes once folks.

She will be missed thats for sure.

WiskeyJaR

demi

Post by demi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Oh man, so sorry to hear about Dutchess. I know how much you loved her and she loved you back. I am so, so, sorry. Miss Desi says thank you for the ear rub, and sends a lick back.

Your wife is a good one to find you another friend to hunt with. :) I think your plan sounds like a good one. There have a few times when I wish I didn't have to walk down the ditch, through the cattails and flush whatever she is pointing...I suppose I could throw rocks, but I throw like a girl. :roll: But like you said, "as long as the dogs are having fun". Just don't take too long getting another LM.... :D You have a couple of good breeders in your area.

I am enjoying having another pup to work with. Meeka is very different in many ways, and yet she is the same in many ways--different flowers from the same garden. She is a little more mild mannered--quite polite actually, yet she loves to be out hunting. It will be fun to see how training/testing goes in the spring/summer.