Shipping business

pointshootretrieve

Shipping business

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:30 am

Was thinking of starting a business transporting dogs. I have the truck equipped with a topper and pretty sure with all of the people out of work it wouldn't be hard to find someone to drive it. I have never used a service like this and was wondering how businesses are setting the rates. Is it by mile? How much? How much liability insurance would you expect would be needed? Do they typically wait until they get a full truck to make a trip?

windswept

Re: Shipping business

Post by windswept » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:51 am

I've used one a couple of times and he generally charges a flat rate. He uses a 15 passenger van (heat and AC) loaded up with crates. I think the struggle would be developing a constant client base so that when you go out on the road you can haul LOTS of dogs. If a guy is charging in the neighborhood of $300 a dog and you can haul say 8 at a time that's $2400. If you leave Maine, head to Florida to Texas to Kansas to South Dakota to Ohio to Pennsylvania and back home as an example you are going to need to turn that 8 dog run over a few times to make it worth your time.
I've not been tempted to get into that business but as a customer I have wondered how on earth my guy can make a living doing it. My guess is it would be a tough business to break into.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:47 am

Yah, at $300.00 per dog flat rate it would be hard to make any money. I just assumed they were getting more money.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 am

Yah, at $300.00 per dog flat rate it would be hard to make any money. I just assumed they were getting more money.
I pay less than that but my guy is more regional. He hauls mostly from NC, SC, FL west to MO, OK and TX and north to NE. Since the majority of our dogs stay in the south, I use him a lot and have been very satisfied. Otherwise we just stick them in a crate and air ship them. That is also less than $300.

Not sure the reasoning why people use the $500 coast-to-coast guys. The poor dog can be stuck in the trailer for a couple of weeks! ...for a lot less money the dog can be there in a few hours. :?:

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:20 am

Ross,

Just curious. What carrier are you using for these $300 rates? When I fly one Delta, a 400 crate, 53lb dog, it's $406.
Dan

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:40 am

Shipped one yesterday through Continental. Looking at the receipt $234.35 plus tax. Weight 63lbs. including crate. Buyer will ship the crate back.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:10 am

Yawallac wrote:Shipped one yesterday through Continental. Looking at the receipt $234.35 plus tax. Weight 63lbs. including crate. Buyer will ship the crate back.
Are you close to Continental hub? Mpls is a Delta hub...plenty of non-stops....but dang that convenience costs!
Dan

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:50 am

We ship out of Charlotte, NC. That was the first time we used Continental (buyer's choice). We usually recommend Delta.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:42 am

The first dog I shipped was in 2004 to CA to be bred,Shipped her by Delta $400 give or take a few $ don't remember exactly.They shipped her back American Airlines,considerably cheaper around $250 but she had a layover in Chicago IL. plus to pick her up I had to find a parking space walk a 1/4 mile to baggage then return the dolly after taking her to the truck.That's the main reason I use Delta can drive right up to the door & take care of everything.Direct flights are more even with Delta but if you don't mind layover can save you a few $ but in my mind the less they have to be handled & transferred the safer,less chance for mistakes.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Yawallac wrote:Not sure the reasoning why people use the $500 coast-to-coast guys. The poor dog can be stuck in the trailer for a couple of weeks! ...for a lot less money the dog can be there in a few hours.
I pay less than that but my guy is more regional. He hauls mostly from NC, SC, FL west to MO, OK and TX and north to NE. Since the majority of our dogs stay in the south, I use him a lot and have been very satisfied. Otherwise we just stick them in a crate and air ship them. That is also less than $300.

Not sure the reasoning why people use the $500 coast-to-coast guys. The poor dog can be stuck in the trailer for a couple of weeks! ...for a lot less money the dog can be there in a few hours. :?:
Im with you there. We've only flown a couple and used Continental as well. I am surprised how many people come from afar to pick up dogs in person! Our last litter we had a guy come from Las Alamos, New Mexico to Pretty Prairie, Kansas.

I also wouldn't want to run the risk of having a dog in a crate that long either, and potentially laying in their own excrement, and so on. My theory is this.. No matter how much money you pay for a dog, it's still my dog and my rules until the dog is safely in your hands. The welfare of that dog is of utmost importance to me. If clients don't want to drive to me, that's fine. We've happily arranged to meet halfway for a fair fee, or we fly a dog out with NO LAYOVERS, Direct flight's only. Otherwise, I can find a equally sutibale home, geographically closer.

Some may not agree, but I'm an irrational hardarse. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:56 pm

shadymeadows wrote:Prairie Fire- I have never yet heard of one having to lay in it's own excrement on one of those. Unless you have personal experience with that I would say the course of wisdom would be to not voice it. I have sent well over 100 dogs and pups with a couple of those guys and every time they have been to my kennel their trailers are spotless and I make sure and ask my clients to let me know what they look like when they get there too (just in case they are cleaning them before they get to my place because I'm a big client) and I have not gotten anything but good reports.
Shane- Not trying to get anyone's hackles up. But you're a sharp guy and know the definition of "Potentially". I've never used one of the "OTR Shippers" but a dog could lay in it's own urine or poop in a crate on a plane too. Its just the fact that Ross already stated, on a plane its only a couple/few hours, as opposed to a lenghier OTR ride, most likely.

I have heard "horror stories" of both OTR shippers and Flying dogs on planes. With planes and direct flights I feel more comfortable. Above all else I would rather take them myself or have clients pick up in person, which 99% do.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 am

shadymeadows wrote:I've gone OTR because I don't have as many problems there. dogs are used to riding in boxes for hours if a person does much wild bird hunting at all. I have however had terrible experience with airlines. Once was so bad that a puppies crate showd up (with the puppy in it) and the only thing holding it together was airline tape. That had to pretty scary for that little dude!
Delta, more likely the USDA, has changed what crates are acceptable. The Ferrari with clamshell latches is no longer acceptable. I wonder about the rotary style latches? I prefer the bolt together....machine screws, flat washers and self-locking nuts.
Dan

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:49 am

Wyndancer wrote:Delta, more likely the USDA, has changed what crates are acceptable. The Ferrari with clamshell latches is no longer acceptable. I wonder about the rotary style latches? I prefer the bolt together....machine screws, flat washers and self-locking nuts.
The last dog I flew, out to California was in a crate with the rotary latches. It was deemed unacceptable by the airport freighters, so I ended up goin to the hardware store real fast, buying some 1/4" bolts, washers and nuts and drilling holes and bolting it up. They are pretty particular, but as long as the dog arrives safe and sound, That's worth it.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS