Field Trialers and What to Do About Them

TAK

Re: Field Trialers and What to Do About Them

Post by TAK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Yawallac wrote:
YES!
If that is true, that NSTRA now has a registry, then it is very conceivable that "NSTRA lines" will be developed.

They have for years.... I'd dare say around 6-8 years now..

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 am

I see from the NSTRA site that they do not require registration to participate in their trials. W/o required registration, why would anyone bother?

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 am

Yawallac wrote:
I see from the NSTRA site that they do not require registration to participate in their trials. W/o required registration, why would anyone bother?
Page 14 of the standard rules:
b. A dog must be eligible to be registered with a recognized registry to enter any NSTRA trial.
1. NSTRA recognizes the NSTRA, AKC, FDSB, and CKC registries. However, regardless of which registry is used, the dog must be eligible to be registered in the NSTRA registry as a recognized
pointing dog breed to be entered in any NSTRA trial.
2. Owners having dog registration pending will be responsible for completion of registration within
(30) days of placement.
3. No placements will be recorded until the registration number is forwarded to the National Office
(NSTRA, AKC, FDSB, CKC). After sixty (60) days, if no registration number has been received and/or verification that one exists, the placement will be void and all placements will be adjusted.
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:44 am

Yawallac wrote:
In a venue you choose not to reconize.
Vagas was referring to CLJ's pedigree, so my question was whether CLJ had won a recognized Championship that would show on his pedigree. That has nothing to do with what I recognize. :D
The only venue that CLJ competed in was NSTRA. He is an AF recognized champion from winning the Ralston Purina Endurance trial in 1998.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:01 am

I have travelled around quite a bit to hunt various species, but so far my favorite for challenge and dog work is the rough grouse of my home state. It is extremely hard to obtain quality pictures due to the cover, but I keep pictures in my head all year long. I am supposed to be there right now but both my kids getting sick overnight has changes those plans. :evil:

I ran into some old boys about one month ago while grouse hunting up here. They were from Texas and have been coming up grouse hunting for close to 30 years. They said they have been quail hunting since they were 9 years old (I would guess they were in their early 70's), and they both agreed that a 30 flush grouse day is more exciting to them than a 10 covey or 100 bird quail day. One gentlemen said it in a manner that is perfect...when hunting quail, pheasant, etc...when the dog gets the bird pointed, the hunt is pretty much over. When a dog gets a grouse pointed, your hunt is just getting started.

That said, a group of us are salivating at the opportunity to chase chukar as all we have to go by is what we are told of them. That trip however is 2000 miles and probably 31 hours of drive time from where we are at...

I would rather discuss hunting all day long rather than trial chatter!

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:48 am

Page 14 of the standard rules:
b. A dog must be eligible to be registered with a recognized registry to enter any NSTRA trial.
1. NSTRA recognizes the NSTRA, AKC, FDSB, and CKC registries. However, regardless of which registry is used, the dog must be eligible to be registered in the NSTRA registry as a recognized
pointing dog breed to be entered in any NSTRA trial.
2. Owners having dog registration pending will be responsible for completion of registration within
(30) days of placement.
3. No placements will be recorded until the registration number is forwarded to the National Office
(NSTRA, AKC, FDSB, CKC). After sixty (60) days, if no registration number has been received and/or verification that one exists, the placement will be void and all placements will be adjusted.
You completely missed the point. Why would a breeder be interested in registering litters or owners be interested in registering dogs in a registry that did not require it's participants to register? What is the point of the registry? ...just to have one? :lol:
He is an AF recognized champion from winning the Ralston Purina Endurance trial in 1998.
The American Field no longer recognizes NSTRA Championships, so I would be curious to know if his "CH" is still listed on pedigrees today. Does anyone have a current pedigree with CLJ on it that could answer that question?

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:02 am

I didn't miss the point. You didn't clearly state your question. Regarding the registry...can't answer that. I never agreed with it and I don't use it. Personally, a registry is nothing but a database with the purpose of making money. I register my GSP's with AKC and Pointers with AF. I would register them with UKC if it made sense for me and my breeds.

I have several recent pedigrees with CLJ on them. He is a CH as are some of his offspring like Burchel's Dutchman.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:09 am

Personally, a registry is nothing but a database with the purpose of making money.
As a breeder I would have to disagree, a registry is very important and not just a way of making money.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 am

Yawallac wrote:
Personally, a registry is nothing but a database with the purpose of making money.
As a breeder I would have to disagree, a registry is very important and not just a way of making money.
I agree that a registry is important for tracking purposes and just that (and making money). My point is that no registry serves a higher purpose than another (e.g. AKC over AF, over UKC, etc.). Hence my statement that I use multiple registries and I would use others if it met my needs.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:37 am

My point is that no registry serves a higher purpose than another (e.g. AKC over AF, over UKC, etc.).

Oh, that was your point? "a registry is nothing but a database with the purpose of making money."?

I guess I missed it. :lol:

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Yawallac wrote:The American Field no longer recognizes NSTRA Championships, so I would be curious to know if his "CH" is still listed on pedigrees today. Does anyone have a current pedigree with CLJ on it that could answer that question?
As of last week Crow's Little Joe's AF number were 162-81-827
Of course like you mentioned that was in the days when AF recognized NSTRA. But who knows how many of those numbers were AF numbers, that would take some homework.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Crow's Little Joe's AF number were 162-81-827
Holy cow!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Yawallac wrote:
Even this is understated. A registry is an absolute necessity for anyone breeding any purebred animal. And if we are to have one then we have to pay the people who do it for us. It is great that we have several that do a great job of keeping those records accurately and providing them to who ever needs them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Why would you be against a European style of breeding? They keep it clean.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.