At what age is a child ready to hunt upland game?

Birddogz

At what age is a child ready to hunt upland game?

Post by Birddogz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:41 pm

My 7 year old son, loves to go, but really wants to shoot a phez. I told him he is just too young, and he is. He has killed turkeys, but that is with me sitting directly behind him. What age did you shoot your first pheasant? What age did you let your kids hunt pheasant?
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

buckshot0074

Re: At what age is a child ready to hunt upland game?

Post by buckshot0074 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm

I have girls, not interested in hunting, so there is that .....

I shot my first pheasant when I was 13

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Children like dogs do not come with a schedule when they are ready to try anything. I am convinced after raising 5 that they are ready about two or three years after they think they are and about 5 years after Dad thinks they are. If you want anything to last make sure they learn that the opportunity is earned and not just given. Makes it mean a whole lot more to them and they will cherish the results for the rest of their lives rather than just get bored with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Birddogz - do you mean carry a gun to shoot, or go along with you to hunt? If he hasn't done the latter, to me that's the best starting point. He has to be able to physically keep up for a decent walk in some fairly thick cover.

I have a buddy from Wisconsin whose earliest memories of hunting are brush busting the thick stuff for grouse in Wisconsin (no gun involved). In his family, the kids were the drivers and flushers until dad decided they could carry a gun.

Then you have all the shooting and gun safety...seems like I traipsed along for several trips carrying an empty gun on my first several trips - showing dad I could control the muzzle, crossed fences the right way etc. Probably shot my first bird around 10-11.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:33 pm

I carried a bb gun for what seemed like forever. But I was learning gun safety. My sons carried a bb gun for what seemed like forever. But they were learning gun safety. I believe the kids in my state need to be 12 or 13 before they can take their Gun safety classes and once they get those I feel SAFETY has been drilled into their head long enough that they can carry a shotgun. I think it's not the ability to carry and fire the gun that is the determining factor. SAFETY FIRST! Leads to a lifelong enjoyment of Hunting!!

Ps. I don't think "bleep" Cheney took a Gun Safety Class, I'll bet his friend wished he did.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Shooting something?...12-14 for any game.
Any earlier and it is more about Dad bragging than a kid shooting something.

However, they should go along with you at every opportunity; whenever they keep their home responsibilities up to snuff; and when they express actual interest.
They should care for the dogs, help clean game and all the other side points of a hunting day.
Shooting is by far the least important point to learn and experience.

I shot my first ruffed grouse at 12.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Mountaineer wrote:However, they should go along with you at every opportunity; whenever they keep their home responsibilities up to snuff; and when they express actual interest. They should care for the dogs, help clean game and all the other side points of a hunting day.
Shooting is by far the least important point to learn and experience.
Wisdom.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

When they can walk (keep up with me) and can legally shoot the bird. In my neck of the woods, that means 11. Unless I take them to privately owned land. Then it means when they can handle the gun safely.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Start him off shooting pictures with a camera.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:24 pm

I was walking fields with my dad when I was 8 or 9.....didn't shoot until I was probably 10 or 11. My oldest son wanted to hunt in the worst way when he was about 8-9. He walked with me a few times. When he was 10, I put him thru Hunter Safety run by the state DNR. I worked him breaking down , cleaning , and re-assembling my various shot guns ....sxs, o/u, and semi's ( I felt like Mr. Miagi in Kararte Kid). He felt like I was trying to weasle him into doing my dirty work :lol: OK , maybe a bit.
Once I felt he understood the safety, and mechanical workings , I had him swinging the gun in the mirror over the summer and we then set out to shooting some clays. Perfect timing for the fall and the 8 months or so made him slow it down and learn. But then the next one is a completely different time frame, so it comes down to the maturity level and your comfort level with the individual. the key is getting them to understand unlike a video game, or baseball.....once they pull the trigger, there are no "do-overs" JMO
Bill L.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 pm

My son has been hunting with me since he was 3. Ducks/geese/turkeys. He shot his first Turkey at 7 with a .410. I was right behind him. (He was in my lap) He aimed and killed though. He has shot squirrels and rabbits also. Again, me holding the gun until the game is spotted, and then he shoots it with me behind him. He goes with me most days, and loves it. He seems to be getting a little tired of watching me shoot everything. :lol: He just isn't physically able to swing a gun in a safe manner in my opinion. I was 11 when I killed my first Ruffed grouse. Took me until almost the end of season to finally get one. :wink: I was thinking that 11 would be a good time to let him shoot. Also, I would unload his gun until the bird is pointed, or carry it for him until the bird is pointed.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Watched my 10 year old brother shoot the car window out (hey watch me shoot through both open windows... oops that wasn't open) when I was 6. We both learned a WHOLE bunch about gun safety that day (he much more pointedly than I, his was first "hand", I learned through listening). Got to start shoot starlings at age 7 or so with the BB gun. At 10 we got to use the .22 with dad, targets only. And at 12 we could take hunter safety and take the dog (irish setter) out to look for pheasants (with or without dad, but only dad, couldn't go with brothers, or cousins, or friends). We were only allowed to take the single shot .410. Couldn't hunt opening morning until 14, but we could dog for dad and the uncles starting at 9 or 10. Since we could have up to 20 hunters (uncles, cousins, and a few friends) on an opening morning, it was more or less a given that nobody wanted a kid to have a gun that close to everyone else. Even dogging was really just taking a spot between the gun handlers in the corn, we certainly weren't allowed to get ahead of the hunters in any way and if they didn't need us to push rows, we just walked behind dad. After using the .410 for 2 years, we usually got to step up to a 20 guage - though that was mostly because there was always someone else who needed the .410 for training - I was the 4th of 4 boys and have more than 40 first cousins.

Note, deer hunting was much the same way, but we didn't start carrying rifles until 14, and then had to stay by dad/and uncle until 16. We weren't even invited for Elk until 16 (well, we did go up as a family one year - but it was so cold noone wanted to get out of the old Yellow Blazer... not even dad. I seem to remember scraping the ice of the inside of the window not just the outside.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 am

The BB guns etc are a nice trick. I started with a plastic toy gun when I could keep up with the guys. Then move to a BB gun and later a 4/10 not loaded. My dad made me carry every gun like it was loaded, also made me swing the guns up aim and pull the trigger. It got me used to pheasant hunting before I could shot. When I turned 12 I was more than ready.

My brother in laws kids are getting close to the age we are thinking about bringing them. Its just a matter of them keeping up that concerns me. I guess we will just have to slow down and let them have fun.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:25 am

Here in Idaho kids can hunt upland birds at 10 with Hunter Ed. My son Eric started then and hasn't had any problems. He was out in the duck blind for the kid opener and he did fine. I think the most important part for their enjoyment is to make sure they have a gun that fits them and doesn't knock them over when they fire. I agree that they have to be involved in the whole hunt, cleaning birds, caring for dogs,etc.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 am

I do not think one can put an age on it. I believe there are certain criteria that the prospective young hunter must meet, regardless of their age to be "ready" to hunt upland game.

I think that a child must be physically able to shoulder and swing a shotgun, as well as walk through uncut field asd brush without assistance, while dressed in field clothes and carrying a weapon.

I believe that a child must have the desire and determination as well as the physical strength to walk for at least two hours under those conditions. There is a huge difference between walking down a path to a deer stand and slogging through chest high grass and briers. I started my upland career as a flusher, and did that for two years before I was allowed to carry a gun. More often than not, even after i was alloed to carry a gun, I still did the flushing and didn't get to shoot anything. I did of course get to carry the pheasants my Dad and Uncle shot. Most of my cousins decided that this was not enough reward for that kind of effort and took up other hobbies.

Even more importantly,the child must demonstrate a level of maturity that is consistent with the safe handling of a firearm in the field around people and dogs, understanding that NO bird or deer or whatever... is worth killing or injuring yourself, your dog or your hunting partner. It takes maturity and self discipline to constantly keep the postition of the dog and fellow hunters in mind and maintain safe distances and ashooting angles AND to look, each and every time, before you shoulder the gun, even in the heat of the action.

I can say that I was ready by the age of 12 and that my son was ready a bit earlier(10), but every child is different and matures at a different rate.

RayG

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:51 am

Hey Ray,

This sounds like the same advice I give someone when they ask, "at what point do I start my dog on such and such training?"
I guess boys are like puppies after all. :D

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:19 am

I was carrying a shotgun and killing squirrels at 10, accompanied by my grandfather. By 12 I was hunting alone for small game with a shotgun within a confined area. That being said, I was carrying an empty 410 from the age of 6, learning gun safety until it was felt that I could be trusted in any situation. It's indeed all about gun safety. It's all about individual maturity from there.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 am

All good points here. I don't have kids, so I can't comment a great deal.

As a dog owner, though, I'm pretty careful about who shoots over my dog. There is 1 kid at our gun club that I would have felt comfortable allowing to shoot when he was 12 years old. He's a good shot, knows how to handle a gun safely in the field and around dogs.
My nephew is 11 and taking regular classes at the local trap range. He's a decent shot and knows his range safety rules. However, he is a long, long way from shooting over my dogs. It's one thing to be shooting at a clay target that always releases from the same spot out front and moves away. What's he going to do when a bird flushes and flies right over the dog's head? A clay range is good, but it's no substitute.

Just my thoughts. I totally agree with everyone that the kid needs experience in the field and should have a good grasp of the situation he's getting into before he's ever given a gun, and the amount of time to get there will vary from kid to kid.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 am

My son is 13 and I still carry his ammo until game is spotted. It's not that he isn't responsible rather that I am. My father let me carry my own ammo and shoot at game at a very young age 10 or so. Once while squirrel hunting I saw a squirrel in a tree past my dad he was crouched down in front of me I pulled up to shoot as he stood up I nearly killed my Dad that day. Dad nearly killed me.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 am

I was rabbit and squirrel hunting with my dad at 10 years old. I was hunting on my own for short sessions at 13. I am not saying these are the proper ages, just relating my experience. There was no such thing as hunter safety courses back then, but I was always taught safety first.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way