Do you hunt your dogs the opening 2 days of Deer seas

Birddogz

Do you hunt your dogs the opening 2 days of Deer seas

Post by Birddogz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:26 am

I have decided not to. It is killing me this weekend, just too many trigger happy guys with HP rifles. Not only do I worry about my dogs, but my own safety as well.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Ryman Gun Dog

Re: Do you hunt your dogs during the opening 2 days of Deer seas

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:33 am

Birddogz,
Here in Pa there is no small game hunted during rifle deer season, archery is a different matter, both are in at the same time, so we do hunt Grouse during bow season.
Now we have fall Turkey and small game in at the same time also, New laws allow Turkey hunting with our Versatile dogs, I plan on doing so this year with my SM.
RGD/Dave

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Where I am in ND, the areas I hunt I can see anyone within probably close to a mile. I hunted yesterday with a couple from Alaska that came to see the dogs. They got a Sharptail. We saw some people walikg a a field a mile away, and I know they saw us. We just stay out of their way.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm

ohmymy111 wrote:Where I am in ND, the areas I hunt I can see anyone within probably close to a mile. I hunted yesterday with a couple from Alaska that came to see the dogs. They got a Sharptail. We saw some people walikg a a field a mile away, and I know they saw us. We just stay out of their way.
The problem is that the public can pull up and hunt anywhere that isn't posted, and very few places are posted. I'm only 40 minutes from a bunch of retarded Minot folks. It makes you think.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 am

opening weekend is the only 2 days that I deer hunt any ways, so I leave the dogs at home. however traditionally I didnt even run my coon hounds much during the first week or so of deer season, cause it seemed like a crippled or wounded deer was too much of a temptation for a dog to give chase and that just wasnt my box of cookies.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Common Sense says NO
Dog On Point!!

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 pm

If you do go bring plenty of orange to wear and make sure to paint the word "Dog" in large letters of the appropriate color on your pooch too !! :P

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:22 am

gpblitz wrote:Only if you don't like your dog!!!!
I would never do that... :wink: But if I did it would be because I DO like my dog. Some in that deer hunting crowd adhere to the philosophy of "shoot first and identify your target later" .

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:49 am

We have a couple of short shotgun seasons here in IL., and most of the bird hunters that I know don't bird hunt during that time because they are deer hunting. :wink: I don't deer hunt any more, and I don't go wild bird hunting during shotgun season, but I will go to a state controlled pheasant hunting area. It is really enjoyable because very few bird hunters show up. They are all deer hunting, and there is no deer hunting in these areas.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:59 am

Here in MA, we only have a shotgun season for deer- then we have a Primative Arms season in December.
That said, I run my dog with a #6 Sheep bell- so there's an audible factor as well.

I'm not worried about bow hunters- they'll hear the bell on my dog before my dog presents herself for a shot.
I'm not really worried about shotgun hunters either- they too will hear the bell & know something is up.

Oddly enough, I'd be most worried about folks hunting with a muzzleloader. As a former primative arms
hunter, I know all too well the lethal range of a Thompson Center Arms .50cal Encore with a fixed 4x scope.......
200 yards, no problem. Maybe even 250 if there's no wind.

A bell really helps though..........

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:57 am

I think if you are going to bird hunt public land during the firearms deer season you need to choose your area carefully. I would choose an area that is wide open where you can see a long ways in every direction. 90% of the deer hunters are going to be responsible for the most part, it's the remaining 10% that I'm concerned about. Being that Coyotes are fair game for most of the year, all it takes is someone who doesn't identify his target to think he is drawing down on a yote and we'll you can guess the rest. The other thing and this is probably much less likely to happen is if your dog should happen to chase a deer while hunting and is out of your sight. Here in Minnesota dog(s) witnessed chasing deer can be legally shot on sight.

Personally, I will just give the deer hunters a week or two and then resume hunting or hit a preserve instead.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm

the pheasant opener here was far worse than any deer opener :mrgreen:

so ya, I got no problem hunting my dog on the deer opener. But I'm here and your there.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 am

Chaingang wrote:The other thing and this is probably much less likely to happen is if your dog should happen to chase a deer while hunting and is out of your sight. Here in Minnesota dog(s) witnessed chasing deer can be legally shot on sight.
Unfortunately what is true is that many folks in Minnesota are ignorant about the actual laws regarding dogs. Many residents of Minnesota do not even know the law regarding dogs afield and think a dog can be killed anytime it is seen around a big game animal. Dogs afield during the fall cannot be shot by anyone other than a conservation or peace officer, whether the dog is chasing a deer or not:

Here is the excerpt from MN Hunting & Trapping Regulations:

Dogs Pursuing Big Game
No persons may allow their dog to chase or kill big game.
Between January 1 and July 14, a dog that is observed wounding,
killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed by
any person. A peace officer or conservation officer may kill a dog that
endangers big game at any time of the year. The officer or person is not
liable for damages for killing the dog.

Important: Other hunting seasons are open before, during, and after
the deer season. Many hunters use dogs to hunt upland game, waterfowl,
rabbits, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes. Dogs may not be shot during
fall hunting seasons, even if seen pursuing big game, except by a
conservation or peace officer.

The law is specifically designed to protect young fawns early in the year as well as protect dogs afield during the fall hunting seasons.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:58 am

I hunt the deer opener in ND so I am not hunting upland game at that time. Where we hunt upland game in ND there is a lot of posted land where we've been able to develop relationships and receive permission to hunt. The fastest way to tick off people in the area and lose access to private land would be to pheasant hunt during the first two weeks of the deer season. Often land owners will deny access to land for a week or two before the deer opener to allow things to calm down. They don't want any deer chased off their property by upland gunfire either just before or during the deer season.

In Minnesota I have never hunted non-deer game in the woods during the deer season either. I wouldn't put my dog down during that time because of risk to the dog as well as eliminating the potential interference with a hunter pursuing big game.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:36 am

When I'm bow hunting, I don't mind seeing bird hunters with dogs. More often than not, they will rustle up deer and send them my way. These are deer that I probably wouldn't see at all if they hadn't been disturbed from their daytime beds.

Deer are creatures of habit, they may get spooked from their typical routine, route, bedding or feeding area.......
but 98% of the time they return- and in relatively short order.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 pm

GrayDawg wrote: Deer are creatures of habit, they may get spooked from their typical routine, route, bedding or feeding area.......
but 98% of the time they return- and in relatively short order. Rob
Although I mostly agree with this statement, perception is reality for most folks. I'm not going to try and convince some prairie land owner and big game hunter in ND that they are full of it and they should just let me traipse all over their land just before or during the season. You just have to know your audience.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks for setting me straight there shooter.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 pm

In Minnesota I have never hunted non-deer game in the woods during the deer season either. I wouldn't put my dog down during that time because of risk to the dog as well as eliminating the potential interference with a hunter pursuing big game.
I thought that is what I was saying in a previous thread and was accused of insulting and preaching. :? :lol: In fact, most of the replies to this thread seem to be agreeing with the views that I expressed on the thread, "Deer hunters and dogs". Where were you all then? :lol: :lol:

Charlie

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:56 pm

By the title of the thread and the mention of "trigger", irrespective of arrow release aids, dogs and deer gun season are the issue here.
I do not know of many who, in the appalachians anyway, birdhunt, if legal, during deer gun season.

The other thread points out the facts of lost dogs, month upon month of bow seasons, avowed hatred of deer-running dogs by some bowhunters, and other pertinent issues.
Ignoring those other bad accidents and occurences that may be involved with deer and dogs does make it easier to find like minds.

None are so blind as those who choose not to see.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I have no idea what is like where you hunt, but you seem to be hung up on bow hunting, and that is not what this thread is about. I don't understand why you feel the need to keep insulting me because I have not encountered the problems you say you have. I don't wish to banter back and forth with you on this so I will not reply to your insults again.

Charlie

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Chaingang wrote:Thanks for setting me straight there shooter.
Okay, so when you get the chance please help spread the word. I'd like it if we could get the Minnesota public re-educated about this issue & the law.

Birddogger,

I do a little preaching myself from time to time. I think preaching (making a personal recommendation for an appropriate course of action or behavior) carries either a negative or positive connotation depending upon the point of view of the listener or in this case, the reader.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 am

birddogger wrote:
I have no idea what is like where you hunt, but you seem to be hung up on bow hunting, and that is not what this thread is about. I don't understand why you feel the need to keep insulting me because I have not encountered the problems you say you have. I don't wish to banter back and forth with you on this so I will not reply to your insults again.

Charlie

Super on the no banter, Charlie.
I only mentioned the other thread when you did by the "where were you all then?" comment made to some.
I mentioned it in stating the differences of the two threads that you chose to ignore re dogs and deer.

I am hung up on bowhunting, to a degree, because, believe it or not, attitudes there have changed.
Yes, gun hunters can be bums re dogs and no change there....bowhunters tho were not always that way.
Many, not all, are now.
Just read a post on another BB were someone would have "whacked" a beagle were he not to see the collar....but, personally, I reckon he is collar-blind.
Too much says he is not alone in the super-competitive and expensive leasing days of deerhunting now.

So, don't expect me to ignore commenting when I see dogs(all dogs) being targeted more or when I see concern for "hunters" trump a dog.
Ain't gonna happen and ain't all about politeness in the field.
Sorry, Charlie.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:44 am

No chance I'm going to bird hunt during opening weekend of the Gun Deer season. I don't even like to go into the woods with my dogs during the entire 9-day Gun Deer seaon. I've had bullets buzz me and I'm decked out in blaze orange I can only imagine what could happen with a predominantly white setter or black lab racing through the woods. Bow hunters and muzzle-loader hunters aren't as much of a concern for me.