advice for first time dog owner please

4ShotB

advice for first time dog owner please

Post by 4ShotB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:40 am

I am looking into getting my first dog (to hunt with and as a pet). I have been doing some reading and talking to dog owners and even visited some kennels.

Some background: as stated i have never owned/trained a dog before (but have hunted behind some good ones!). I am living in an area where most hunting dogs are beagles and hounds (fur hunters). Limited amounts of grouse and quail in my area but I do travel out to Midwest once/twice year for pheasant. So dog will not get heavy use in the field as compared to some others. I am active and outside alot so willing and able to provide exercise and companionship (therefore don't just want a hard kennel dog or plain "hunting machine" although don't want a lap dog either). Other requirements: I need a dog who is predisposed to hunt close as I am entirely a foot hunter. I do know that I want a dog out of hunting stock and I am leaning maybe towards a young started dog instead of a puppy (but open to any suggestions).

Alot of my dog owning contacts (and the kennels I have visited) are Ford or Chevy kind of guys, meaning that's all they have had and hunted and therefore think I should get a Ford or Chevy too. I am looking for the perspective of people maybe with experience with several different breeds. I am in no hurry and want this to go well for me and the dog (but it does take a bit of willpower to leave a kennel emptyhanded after playing with a pup for awhile).
I imagine this is a repetitive topic here but I am grateful for any input. Thanks in advance.

dfg-mo

Re: advice for first time dog owner please

Post by dfg-mo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:43 am

You may want to look at a Drahthaar. They are great hunting dogs (will hunt just about anything) & love to be with you. I live in Mid-Mo (some quail - few pheasants) & go to So. Dakota about 3-4 times a year to pheasant hunt. My DD hunts close, points, & is a great retriever, which is very important for pheasants. DDs also love being in the house with you.
Good luck in your search.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am

Check the AKC Events page http://www.akc.org/events/search/ for a pointing dog hunt test near you that fits your schedule. Go watch and see what you like. There might be a NAVHDA chapter in your area. Check http://www.navhda.us/chapterinfo.aspx .

You might also check around for a breeder/trainer with a good reputation in your area to form a relationship with. Having a mentor that can help with training resources is a big asset.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:10 am

dfg-mo wrote:You may want to look at a Drahthaar. They are great hunting dogs (will hunt just about anything) & love to be with you. I live in Mid-Mo (some quail - few pheasants) & go to So. Dakota about 3-4 times a year to pheasant hunt. My DD hunts close, points, & is a great retriever, which is very important for pheasants. DDs also love being in the house with you.
Good luck in your search.
I would second the Draht recommendation. Added bonus is that you could hunt fur when you are not bird hunting/training. You can NEVER have too many outlets for activity for a hunting dog.

Less common than a Draht but as biddable would be a Pudelpointer. They are the most successful dog in NAVHDA.

If upland game is your primary focus, a French Brittany is also considered a "close to medium" worker, and also a biddable companion dog.

Agree totally with Greg - check the local NAVDHA rankings/dogs/owners. You'll find a "dog culture" there that will help you get your needs met.

I should also note that well-bred, cooperative dogs of lots of different breeds (e.g., pointers, setters) could meet your needs. I guess it's sort of like buying a car in the end - we all have different preferences - no wrong answers, really.

Good luck!!

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

when i was new i focused too much on breed rather than breeder. with the exception of a few most breeds are very different among breeders. you should be able to find a breeder within several breeds that will satisfy your needs. i purchased my first brittany as a pup and my second as a started dog. in my experience a pup is the way to go for a newbie like yourself. you get to learn with it, develop a bond with it, and eventually learn how to hunt with it...... i think you learn a lot more going through the whole process from pup to a finished dog. with a started dog you are going to be ad libbing a lot of things.

with a pup you will make mistakes and you will do things right, but one thing is for sure, once you start working together there is nothing like it.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:43 pm

"breeder" is so true.

Where are you 4ShotB (what state?) It's possible that if folks knew, you might get some recommendations of quality breeders thrown your direction.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:55 pm

To AzHusker: I live in middle Tennesse, between Nashville and Knoxville.

And to others who have replied , either in this post or via PM, thanks!