Cheapest e collar

cougarjim

Cheapest e collar

Post by cougarjim » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:21 pm

What would be the cheapest e collar one could get by with that would still work well enough?
Are the one's on eBay for around $30.00 to $75.00 any good or just junk?

Thanks in advance, Jim
If I offend anyone on this board it will be out of ignorance not malice.

Fireside

Re: Cheapest e collar

Post by Fireside » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:25 pm

most of the inexpensive ecollars are just flat JUNK! Get a decent single dog collar from DT or Tritronics and be done with it. The cheap collars dont work well to start with and fall apart in notime. The companies don;t stand behind their products and you have lost your money... for the price of a couple of cheapo collars, you can get a decent single dog. Check out collar clinic's used collars of you are trying to save a buck... they have used collars that they have re-furbished and they stand behind their work

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:34 pm

For a proven, reliable, farily inexpensive collar I would suggest the Tri-Tronics Sport Junior. http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com/page62
Or the DT Systems Micro iDT Plus. http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com/page73 Both the Tri-Tronics and the DT Collar are $169.00 I don't know how you could go wrong with either one. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I like the Sportdog collars and have never had a problem with them. I have the 2500 model and run 3 and 4 dogs on it all the time and have never experienced any problems at all. A lot of other guys on this website with more money than myself don't care much for the Sportdog brand though.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I have the DT micro iDT plus. Like was already said, it is a fairly inexpensive collar. It is expandable to 3 dogs, has a vibrate feature, is waterproof, and has a 900 yd range. I've only had mine a few months, but am well pleased thus far. FWIW, the only e-collars that I'd used before were older tri-tronics, and I find the remote much more intuitive on this unit than those older ones.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:43 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I like the Sportdog collars and have never had a problem with them. I have the 2500 model and run 3 and 4 dogs on it all the time and have never experienced any problems at all. A lot of other guys on this website with more money than myself don't care much for the Sportdog brand though.
T- Sportdog collars are good products.. I started out with em, and still have a SD-400S in a 3 dog unit. It does everything I need it to do. I don't like their warranty since they changed it though. SO.. if a person is looking for a collar in a certain price range, I will reccomend them last out of the "BiG 4" collar manufacturers. People are working extra hard for their money these days .. I think if a customer buys a product and it goes defective, they shouldn't have to pay $40 for something they've already paid for. JM .02
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

cougarjim

Post by cougarjim » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks guys, you have been a big help. I will go with the name brands.
If I offend anyone on this board it will be out of ignorance not malice.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:29 pm

My experience was that I had one of their first collars ever and after about 5 or 6 years of not using it. I picked it up one day and it wouldn't work so me wanting to see what kind of lifetime warranty they really did offer I called and for $75 I upgraded to the 2500 model I have now from a 9 volt battery powered early first gen collar that really wasn't all that nice. I could have upgraded to the 1800 model for $50 but I chose the 6 dog expandable 2500 model. They could have told me my collar was an early model and they did not warranty it anymore but they didn't. I was very happy with their customer service and their product.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:51 pm

TRi Tronics Sport Basic is a decent American Made E collar. Is just under 300 bucks and you can expand to 3 dogs. It work approx as far as the Sportdog..I tested side by side and a good quality 9 volt battery in the transmitter will last almost a year where the sport dog you have to charge every 2 weeks the receivers will last a good month on the tri tronics before needing charge and sport dog again be sure to charge it every two weeks ...

Those 30 dollar collars might as well toss the money out the window as you will be lucky to get 25 feet of distance out of them which is useless in the field
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:14 pm

kninebirddog wrote:TRi Tronics Sport Basic is a decent American Made E collar. Is just under 300 bucks and you can expand to 3 dogs.

Yep, Got em for $254.50 Shipped. And it comes with a Basic Training DVD, a $24.95 Value. :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:TRi Tronics Sport Basic is a decent American Made E collar. Is just under 300 bucks and you can expand to 3 dogs.

Yep, Got em for $254.50 Shipped. And it comes with a Basic Training DVD, a $24.95 Value. :D
That right there is the route to go for a decent basic collar

Only thing about the sport basic JR which is under 200 it is great for yard work and starting young dog but I would not call it a good collar for true field
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 pm

best thing is to check out all of these sites for a week or two and you could come up with a real good deal. There are plenty of bird dog forum sites.

go with a good reputable name brand tt, sport dog etc.

brandon

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:14 am

Well, SportDOG is back atop my leaderboard again.. Just in time for Bird Season, I received a Brand New SportDOG System this morning! I wasn't expecting that, but it was worth getting out of bed for! :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 am

LL Bean carries Sport Dog & Dogtra. Even if the features were not exactly what I wanted, the comfort of knowing it could be returned at any time and for any reason is significant for a piece of outdoor electronics. Messing with a company warranty and waiting for a repair or a rebuilt unit as a replacement is not my idea of customer service.

Been there many times before.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:15 am

mcbosco wrote:LL Bean carries Sport Dog & Dogtra. Even if the features were not exactly what I wanted, the comfort of knowing it could be returned at any time and for any reason is significant for a piece of outdoor electronics. Messing with a company warranty and waiting for a repair or a rebuilt unit as a replacement is not my idea of customer service.

Been there many times before.
Yeah, I understand.. If I didn't have "special pull" and was a regular customer, I'd be out $40 or looking for a new system. My understanding is that most all of them charge a fee outside of warranty. I guess it makes sence kinda.. if I sold you my old system that had one of the collars on the blink, if that fee wasn't in place, you could just call them and get a new one. I'm sure they got alot of that.

As far as LL Bean goes, they have a good deal there as far as letting you return "whenever for whatever." Although, you're paying for that. Just a quick overview of their prices, (just looked at a few) and they sell their products anywhere from $10 - $30 over the MAP pricing. It's kinda like incooperating a "lifetime warranty" to the price of your purchase wether you like it or not. Obviously some consumers don't mind paying extra for the security of their return policy. Depending on your purchase, it's a pretty good deal. However, there's alot of consumers out there wanting to buy it as cheap as they can, considering the economy.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:34 am

I didn't do an exhaustive review of prices but LL Bean's prices were pretty much in line with Gundogsupply.com and some others. The Sportdog 1825 is actually $1 cheaper at Beans and there is free shipping.

Anyway its an idea. I don't buy anything anymore without a 100% GTY.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm pretty happy with this one

my only complaint is the beeper function is kind of finiky, and I don't really like having to undo screws to mess with the dip switches to change tones on the beeper part.

It also doesn't fit very good on small dogs when using both the beeper and zapper on 1 collar as its designed.