affordable hunting lodges in South Dakota

dawgmama

affordable hunting lodges in South Dakota

Post by dawgmama » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:57 pm

My nephew would like to introduce his wife to hunting, and not have it be too brutal so that she doesn't enjoy her first outings. Knowing that my husband and I go to South Dakota he asked for advice. Well.... the hotels we stay at are as far from a lodge as you can get, but they are clean, warm and let the dogs in the room so....... :D Does anyone know of any family run hunting lodges that a young couple could afford? Thanks~nan
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Birddogz

Re: affordable hunting lodges in South Dakota

Post by Birddogz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:15 am

Best thing to do is take out an ad in the local SD paper explaining what you are looking for. Manmy times a local farmer will put you up and let you hunt their land for a reasonable fee. The later the better. Try mid-November. Any lodge is going to be pricey! :cry:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:07 am

Are they concerned about amenities, or do they just want good birds and a decent place to lay their heads each night?

For my trip to South Dakota, we found Tom and Stan Waterbury near Gregory. They have an old house that was used for accommodations for their hunting guests. It was clean, didn't smell, and the beds were comfortable. It's just a place to stay - no meals or anything like that. It's a pretty no-frills operation at a good price, and they got us into a TON of birds.

Their contact information can be found here.
http://www.cityofgregory.com/index.asp? ... 004A8F5%7D

Look for Dakota Birds, LLC.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:22 pm

R&R Pheasant Hunts near Seneca. Tell Sal I recommended his place.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:46 am

Birddogz has the right idea. I grew up in the Mitchell, SoDak area so I have an advantage when I want to go hunt back home but I would check when East River Deer ends. By this time most of the pay hunters are gone and the farmers are not worried about getting deer moved off their land any longer since the season is over. You can stop and ask most farmers to hunt their land by this time as long as you are polite and promise to close gates. There are public hunting areas that are on the edges of hunting operations, one public area north of Mt Vernon come to mind. If the weather holds you can have a good time without paying out the nose for a lodge. Most of my friends and family have their land leased out and getting on land early in the year is tough so if you want to go early in the season you will have to pay.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks for the replies! A very ill father-in-law and grouse and woodcock hunting has kept me away from the computer. I will forward the info to my nephew!~nan
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.