SD Pheasant Hunting In Novemeber

JMoss

SD Pheasant Hunting In Novemeber

Post by JMoss » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:55 am

Hey Guys wondering if anybody can give us some good advice on our first South Dakota Pheasant hunt this year. We are heading out on November 10th and going to hunt up near Isabel SD. I have been doing some reading on temperatures only reaching a high of about 40 degrees during the day. Seems pretty cool compared to southern Utah in November. So I'm trying to think of things to keep our gunners warm and still be able to hunt in the field. Also trying to think of things to keep the dogs warm at night considering it will be below freezing every night. Got any gear tips? Things you have liked and disliked?

Birddogz

Re: SD Pheasant Hunting In Novemeber

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Your dogs should be fine. Throw an insulated gortex cover over your air kennel, and they will be fine. Insulated shooting gloves are nice when it is windy. November 10th shouldn't be that bad. I usually sweat when walking at that time. 4-5 weeks later is when the temps really dive. Shoot number 5s that are plated with nickel or copper. 1 1/4 should be fine. IC or Mod should do you. If you have never been, you will have a blast! Good luck and good hunting! :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 am

30 - 40 degrees is good weather, most people will still be sweating after a good walk. Put some handwarmers in your gloves, you will be cold at first but comfortable after you get moving. If you have never been you are in for an experience. If the cattails look to thick or to tall, then that is where the birds will be. Expecially if they are close to standing corn, or a field that has just been shelled. Last year we went the week before Chistmas....that is some cold hunting, one day it never got over 2 degrees and we still almost got a group limit.

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:57 am

One thing my grandpa always said about SD if you don't like the weather stick around for and hour or so and it will change, most days you have to get up pretty early to beat the wind out of bed too. Tempatures can vary a lot during one day so make sure you bring the right clothing, possibly wear some layers, and prepare for wind. Things can change from 10am until 2pm quite a bit depending on the day, but my dogs always enjoy the cooler weather.

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:42 am

We hunted that week the last 2 years. Last year it was in the upper 20's @ 8am, & mid 50's for a high. The year before, it was low 20's @ 8 amt & rose to upper 20's for a high, for a few days. Then it warmed up to lower 40's for a high the last 1/2 of the week.

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:31 pm

You are going out in what Minnesotans call "the possible snow season". Take extra, dress in layers, try to avoid sweating.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.