Are there any events in winter?

Birddogz

Re: Are there any events in winter?

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

BigShooter wrote:How many States allow you to run dogs on wild birds after the season ends, during winter?
Season in Nebraska is in until January 31.

SD and ND are in until January 3rd I believe.

Are you not allowed to run dogs on birds after season is out? I didn't know that. I have broken the law if that is the case. :oops:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:37 am

BigShooter wrote:How many States allow you to run dogs on wild birds after the season ends, during winter?
I understand that trials in France are run on wild birds. Does that count? :D

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:39 am

Birddogz wrote:I have made it more than clear that I am interested in seeing FT dogs hunt in situations that I do in late season.
Seems to me that a trial format is inappropriate for what you are wanting to see. Trailing is different than hunting, so why don't you just invite some trial dog owners to go hunting with you? I think that would be your best bet.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:57 am

Birddogz wrote:
Season in Nebraska is in until January 31.

SD and ND are in until January 3rd I believe.

Are you not allowed to run dogs on birds after season is out? I didn't know that. I have broken the law if that is the case. :oops:
Each State has its own laws regulating wild birds. I am not the expert here however there are guys and gals on here that do have most of the answers regarding trials. Typically groups running a trial on live birds are required to have at least a State issued permit. Also there are usually regulations in each State established to protect the nesting & young rearing times. Sometimes those regulations only apply to pros and individuals may not have the same restrictions. If I remember right pros may not run more than four dogs in ND between April 1st & July 15th. I have no idea if ND would issue a permit to run on wild birds during winter. A guy would have to check it out. The Feds have their own regulations covering federally owned lands.

I didn't ask the question to establish the basis for an argument. Chukar12 mentioned the end of the ND season & I didn't know if ND would issue a permit to run a trial on wild birds after that date ... that's all.
Last edited by BigShooter on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:
Birddogz wrote:I have made it more than clear that I am interested in seeing FT dogs hunt in situations that I do in late season.
Seems to me that a trial format is inappropriate for what you are wanting to see. Trailing is different than hunting, so why don't you just invite some trial dog owners to go hunting with you? I think that would be your best bet.
I thought about saying the same thing but didn't. Most of the guys & gals with the top echelon trial dogs have enough dough to go elswhere & hunt under better conditions. Same with trialing.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Not saying it would be a popular trial, but I would like to see one none the less.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 am

Well, here's an idea for you. The groups that run these trials are all volunteer organizations, in other words if they like the idea of a particular trial at a particular time and place they get together and do it. I don't know anyone off the top of my head that runs the trial you want, so instead of just leaving it to someone else to run so you can come and observe, why don't you just set the trial up and run it. Its not that hard. The American Field ad has to go in at least two weeks ahead of time and only costs somewhere between $400 and $700. You could call Bernie Mathys at the Field and ask what he needs you to do. Then find some judges, you are going to need to pay their expenses up front and buy judges gifts. Also find a course and probably you will need to find an insurance company that will provide coverage. Get all this done and then let us know. I promise I will let my trialing friends know about the trial, it sounds like fun, and I am sure they will be impressed ahead of time with your organization so you will get alot of people to come. You might even make one or two thousand from the entries. I wouldn't worry about the upfront expenses, you price your entries so you can reimburse yourself for those expenses when the entries come flooding in.

You can call it the "Birddogz Classic" a great name I think, it will draw pretty well.

Sorry, I won't be there myself though if you hold it in Dec. or Jan. My "meat dog" is home from the circuit, he and I and his sister will be in ND slogging through the snow, just the dogs and I, looking for some late season pheasants. I love that solitary, quiet time with the dogs so again, I am sorry, but will have to miss your trial. I am and always will be a hunter first and foremost. Good luck though.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Wagonmaster wrote: The American Field ad has to go in at least two weeks ahead of time and only costs somewhere between $400 and $700.
$145.00 for a weekend gig. Native dog food covered the cost of the ad for the North Country Gordon Setter club...but I digress.
Dan

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
Wagonmaster wrote: The American Field ad has to go in at least two weeks ahead of time and only costs somewhere between $400 and $700.
$145.00 for a weekend gig. Native dog food covered the cost of the ad for the North Country Gordon Setter club...but I digress.
You mean the ones that fills up with local dogs and no one cares if there is an ad for it or not, but puts in a notice because it is obligatory.

I think Wagonmaster was referring to an actual ad that people will notice, will let them know of the coming of this new and prestigious event and will MAKE them want to enter.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:46 pm

What is the purse in an average FT event? I mean an average to small event.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 pm

slistoe wrote: You mean the ones that fills up with local dogs and no one cares if there is an ad for it or not, but puts in a notice because it is obligatory.
Yeah...that one.
slistoe wrote: I think Wagonmaster was referring to an actual ad that people will notice, will let them know of the coming of this new and prestigious event and will MAKE them want to enter.
What was I thinking.......yes half page should do the job.
Dan

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Birddogz wrote:What is the purse in an average FT event? I mean an average to small event.
Well, there are many answers to that question. Speaking strictly for AKC FT's.

Open Gun Dog....I haven't seen any purse for that stake. Depeneding on area of the country, about $50 entry fee.
Open Limited Gun Dog......have seen no purse, ($50 entry) and I have seen 50% of the entry go to a purse which pays 50% to the winner, 30% for second, 20% for third.($80 entry) Can make a $400-500 payout for the winner.

Then maybe at a breed national the club will Calcutta a stake.....some funds to the club, and a payout to the winner.
Dan

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 am

They will usually set aside "x" number of dollars per entry, say $30 out of a $150 entry. Then divide the purse say 60-40, Ch. and RU. So it would depend on entries, but would be a few hundred bucks.

But the club keeps the rest to cover expenses. I would go for it birddogz, I would run a full page ad in the Field, you could stand to make some real $$ running it.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:48 pm

No way could I do it this year. WAY too much planning, but I think it may be a cool event. Not looking to make any money. I have a feeling you were being facetious. :D Maybe a foot trial.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Who, me?

Yes, sure you can make it a foot handled trial. Nothing in the Rules says you can't. You will want to make sure the advertisement says "No horseback handling permitted."

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Birddogz wrote:......... but I think it may be a cool event.
Understatement of the year!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 pm

One of the last field trials of the season here in New England happens the first weekend in December.
Snow, high wind, freezing temps, ice .......... are all fair game.

The only time it's cancelled is when there's so much snow, they can't get to the clubhouse.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:12 pm

One of the things you will find is that a good dog is good in summer, fall, winter, and spring. Poor dogs are poor year round. Funny that way. Funnier that some have to see it to believe it, even people who hunt. Would think they would have noticed thats the way it works normally. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:37 am

I had a bit of snark all ready to go...then thought better of it. :mrgreen:
Dan

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:One of the things you will find is that a good dog is good in summer, fall, winter, and spring. Poor dogs are poor year round. Funny that way. Funnier that some have to see it to believe it, even people who hunt. Would think they would have noticed thats the way it works normally. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
I've had friends come up from Texas with dogs that are very good at hunting early season Huns and Sharpies. I've had those same friends come up in December and hunt SD with me. Believe me those dogs did not handle late season roosters nearly as well. In fact their owners were ready to pull their hair out. Totally different situations. Dogs have to know how to handle birds far better. Early season birds are relatively dumb, a lot of young birds. In December they have been pursued and shot at a bunch. Their cover is completely different. Cattails, marsh grass, and thick CRP. If you slam a car door or yell for your dog, birds flush at 300 yards.
What I find very strange is that someone who hunts wild roosters in late season doesn't understand that. :lol: They are far harder to hunt, and will not put up with a dog that isn't mindful of their "spooky" ways. No whistles, no yelling, dogs that stay in perfect range, and are capable of jumping through 7 ft. tall cattails all day. Put up with -20-30 below wind chills.
The dog that slams points in October is not necessarily a great late season dog. That takes maturity and intelligence. Being biddable in silence is the key, as well as a coat that can take the tough conditions. Especially if you are hunting every day for 7-10 days. Completely different. That is why the event would be interesting. Dogs that are used to running in trials in early fall and spring would find it totally different.
Only the hardiest of hunters and dogs hunt pheasants in ND,SD, MT winters. Many people don't go because it is cold, and not as easy. Believe me, I don't normally see a bird hunter all day. There is a reason for that. :wink:

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Click the link. They field trial in the winter.....Yes, that's one of our dogs.

http://www.rypeveien.com/22473901
Dan

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Birddogz wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:One of the things you will find is that a good dog is good in summer, fall, winter, and spring. Poor dogs are poor year round. Funny that way. Funnier that some have to see it to believe it, even people who hunt. Would think they would have noticed thats the way it works normally. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
I've had friends come up from Texas with dogs that are very good at hunting early season Huns and Sharpies. I've had those same friends come up in December and hunt SD with me. Believe me those dogs did not handle late season roosters nearly as well. In fact their owners were ready to pull their hair out. Totally different situations. Dogs have to know how to handle birds far better. Early season birds are relatively dumb, a lot of young birds. In December they have been pursued and shot at a bunch. Their cover is completely different. Cattails, marsh grass, and thick CRP. If you slam a car door or yell for your dog, birds flush at 300 yards.
What I find very strange is that someone who hunts wild roosters in late season doesn't understand that. :lol: They are far harder to hunt, and will not put up with a dog that isn't mindful of their "spooky" ways. No whistles, no yelling, dogs that stay in perfect range, and are capable of jumping through 7 ft. tall cattails all day. Put up with -20-30 below wind chills.
The dog that slams points in October is not necessarily a great late season dog. That takes maturity and intelligence. Being biddable in silence is the key, as well as a coat that can take the tough conditions. Especially if you are hunting every day for 7-10 days. Completely different. That is why the event would be interesting. Dogs that are used to running in trials in early fall and spring would find it totally different.
Only the hardiest of hunters and dogs hunt pheasants in ND,SD, MT winters. Many people don't go because it is cold, and not as easy. Believe me, I don't normally see a bird hunter all day. There is a reason for that. :wink:
So you are saying that your dogs know how to perform in any circumstance but your friends from Texas dogs don't. Do you suppose that any good dog learns from experience whether they are yours or someone else's. That's why we call them good dogs. Most of your arguments do not make a lick of sense but are just exercises in trying to say "my dogs are better than yours". I don't believe it for a minute. But I do believe your dogs are good and so are mine and I don't have to start a hundred threads to tell people they are. Good is in the eye of the beholder and no amount of "my daddy can whip your daddy" will change that one iota.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:54 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Birddogz wrote:

Ezzy
So you are saying that your dogs know how to perform in any circumstance but your friends from Texas dogs don't. Do you suppose that any good dog learns from experience whether they are yours or someone else's. That's why we call them good dogs. Most of your arguments do not make a lick of sense but are just exercises in trying to say "my dogs are better than yours". I don't believe it for a minute. But I do believe your dogs are good and so are mine and I don't have to start a hundred threads to tell people they are. Good is in the eye of the beholder and no amount of "my daddy can whip your daddy" will change that one iota.

Ezzy
Where do I ever say that my dogs are better than yours or anyone's? I don't. You are inventing things I said. I simply said that late season roosters are tougher than early season roosters. Because of this, I think a late season event would be interesting. I wish my friend's from Texas were on this forum, they would tell you that late season pheasants are far harder to hunt than those of early season. I haven't mentioned MY dogs one time. Go through this post and find where I said that.
As far as dogs go, I have seen dogs that were very good dogs on quail and PCs that were average at best on late season roosters. Vice versa as well. Why you seem to think I am saying my dogs are better than other people's, I don't know. I'm simply saying that a great late season pointing dog on phez is a real accomplishment, and not easy to find. It would be a very difficult test for any dog.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:14 pm

It only makes sense to me that a dog will do better on the type of birds and conditions that he/she has experience with. A good dog will learn to handle whatever game bird it is with opportunity and experience. Having a good dog doesn't depend on what part of the country you live or what type of birds you hunt.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 pm

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Thought id heard that somewhere :lol: :lol:

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:33 pm

That isn't part of this thread. That was a month ago at least. I have never made any such claims in this thread. To be honest, when I wrote that I was feeling no pain. :lol: I have not said anything of the sort in this thread or any thread since. I was simply speaking of this thread. If you are going to bring up what I said in the past on a completely different thread, then O.K., I said some inappropriate things, which I have apologized for, by the way. How what I said in that thread has anything to do with this discussion, I don't know. :wink:

Actually, that was in March for God's sake. 6 months ago.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Wyndancer wrote:Click the link. They field trial in the winter.....Yes, that's one of our dogs.

http://www.rypeveien.com/22473901
Now that is a cool pic. My kind of weather. :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Where do I ever say that my dogs are better than yours or anyone's? I don't. You are inventing things I said. I simply said that late season roosters are tougher than early season roosters. Because of this, I think a late season event would be interesting. I wish my friend's from Texas were on this forum, they would tell you that late season pheasants are far harder to hunt than those of early season. I haven't mentioned MY dogs one time. Go through this post and find where I said that.
As far as dogs go, I have seen dogs that were very good dogs on quail and PCs that were average at best on late season roosters. Vice versa as well. Why you seem to think I am saying my dogs are better than other people's, I don't know. I'm simply saying that a great late season pointing dog on phez is a real accomplishment, and not easy to find. It would be a very difficult test for any dog.
You have said in so many ways and so many times that I am noy going to go back and count. The last time you said it is saying my friends from Texas dogs just can't handle the late season pheasants that my dogs do. We all can read between the lines and understand exactly what you are trying to say always in a round about way. That way you can come back like you have here and say I didn't say that. You are right you didn't say that word for word but you ave said in every other way you could.

I have no idea why you enjoy this game you play so much but it adds nothing to this forum or our respect for you. And that is the same result you have gotten where ever you have posted. Take a word of advice from someone who has little qualification for giving it since I am not a Doctor, lawyer, or even have a college degree. But I do have years of experience and I think a great deal of common sense and I think you would be much better served and respected a whole lot more if you just listen and learn and when you do want to chime in make your staement and the let it go. You might even have fun doing it. And I know the reat of us would have more fun and probably learn a great deal from someone with your experience.

Ezzy

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Ezzy, I was simply trying to point out that late season roosters are a difficult challenge for a bird dog. One that takes experience. My buddies in Texas have phenomenal Bob dogs. FAR better than mine. I wasn't trying to start anything with that comment.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Birddogz wrote:Ezzy, I was simply trying to point out that late season roosters are a difficult challenge for a bird dog. One that takes experience. My buddies in Texas have phenomenal Bob dogs. FAR better than mine. I wasn't trying to start anything with that comment.
If you were really trying to point that out then maybe your post should read, " Late season roosters are a difficult challenge for a birddog that takes some experience for a dog to learn". Seems that would be the simple way that we all would understand and probably agree with.

Ezzy

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:45 pm

What I have been trying to convey is that trials seem to be held on most birds, but I have never seen one on late season roosters. Since the pheasant is a very popular game bird, I am surprised it hasn't been done.
I hunt pheasant more than any game bird, and I hunt them in the winter a lot. To see a trial on these birds would be very exciting to me.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 pm

Birddogz wrote:What I have been trying to convey is that trials seem to be held on most birds, but I have never seen one on late season roosters. Since the pheasant is a very popular game bird, I am surprised it hasn't been done.
I hunt pheasant more than any game bird, and I hunt them in the winter a lot. To see a trial on these birds would be very exciting to me.

Too bad you didn't say that as I think we all would agree but also we understand why it hasn't happen and why it probably won't. But if you are really thinking it would be great and exciting th next step is find out how many would be interested in the venue and if enough are get the ball rolling and take charge.

Ezzy

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't know how many people would share my enthusiasm. It may be difficult to get folks to come up at that time. What I really need to find out is weather February would be legal. People may come out after Christmas more readily.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Birddogz wrote:I don't know how many people would share my enthusiasm. It may be difficult to get folks to come up at that time. What I really need to find out is weather February would be legal. People may come out after Christmas more readily.
All you can do is check it out and see.

Ezzy

north country guy

Post by north country guy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 pm

This Discussion Is Getting Very Cold :roll: And Should Be Frozen Very Soon :roll: