Can't trust a Dog

jbo

Can't trust a Dog

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 am

Did want to hijack the other thread but here is the situation, my parents have a 4 yr old female boxer who is very unpredictable and attacks other dogs without warning and has attacked my male pup a couple of times. I pretty much keep my dog up when their dog is around, but I feel very uncomfortable with my small children around. Pretty much, I don't trust her for a second.

I have asked them to keep her up when my kids are around and it has pretty much fallen on deaf ears, they think she is protecting the kids and I think she has something wrong in her head. I have tried to take charge of the situation but they protect her from me doing anything and it usually ends up with my dad and I yelling at each other about that dog.

We don't let the kids near her now but sometimes they watch the kids for us and I don't know what happens when we aren't around.

What is the best way to handle this without saying to my parents they can't see their grandkids.

jlp8cornell

Re: Can't trust a Dog

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 am

If they were my kids, I would not allow them in your parent's house unsupervised. It only takes one second, and something horrible could happen especially with a dog that unpredictable. That part you can control...

Maybe a solution to them seeing and watching your kids is to have your parents come to your house. That way you are not telling them they cannot see the kids. And, their dog should not be allowed at your house. Ever. Not fair to your kids or your own dog(s).

You have a gut feeling about this situation. Go with it. It would be tragic if something preventable happened. Good luck. Jen

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:16 am

This is a nightmare waiting to happen. I would demand that the dog not be around my kids EVER! If your parents won't live up to that, do not leave your children with them. This is an agressive dog that has problems because of her owners. Buy Cesar Milan's book for your parents, and make them read it. It is just not worth 50 stitches in one of your kids face. I'm sure you couldn't ever forgive yourself if something like that happened. I know I couldn't. As a parent it is your job to protect your kids, if your parents can't understand that, they have the problem, not YOU!
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 am

This is a bad deal.
You are right and your parents are just plain wrong. Continue to let your kids be in Grandma and Grandpa's lives but find someone else to baby sit when you are not around.

jbo

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 am

The worst thing is they say, if she ever does anything we will put her down, its too late then.

The biggest problem that is going to come is that we are neighbors so its not like we don't see them a lot. At least they have a fenced in yard, the way to there door means you have to walk through the fence though so that sucks too.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:10 am

If I were in your situation, here is what I would do. I would offer to go to Lowes and buy a 3x6 kennel (3 panels and one door unit) and a few bags of concrete and build dad a nice small secure outdoor kennel. Then sit mom down and say, Mom, I know you and dad love your dog but I can't risk anything happening to your grandchildren. we need to have your boxer in that outdoor kennel whenever the kids come over...if they say no then insist that they babysit or visit at your house not at theres....Family relations are very very important and must be handled with the utmost sensitiity, but the safety of your kids is what you need to focus on. I pray it all works out for you.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:36 am

jbo wrote:The worst thing is they say, if she ever does anything we will put her down, its too late then...
You are very right, and not only are you protecting your children from this dog, but you are potentially saving this dog's life, also.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:05 pm

That is one reason I do not visit my dad and stepmother very much right now and they live 3 blocks from me. They have a very quiet docile lab who is great with the kids at first and fantastic with adults but when he has had enough of the boys playing with him he snaps at them. Granted my boys like to wrestle with dogs and kiss them in the face but that is fine with my pointers, they eat it up. My advice is ,do like me and don't visit much or just tell your dad that you have asked politely and respectfully but if the dog ever harms your children you are going to shoot the dog, that the dog will not even make it to the vet to be euthanised. The thing about my dad is, he would do this himself if his lab ever attacked my boys so it doesn't have to be said. In my case I don't believe this dog would ever attack my children. He just snaps at them when he has had enough much like a cranky old man. :D Good luck sometimes parents can be hard to deal with without offending them.

jbo

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 pm

In all honesty I am just fed up with the unrealistic idea that she is fine from them, she isn't fine, if they leave she will almost eat through anything to get out, they left her outside one day for a few hours and she tore up 5 pieces of siding and the corner post of the garage trying to get out of the fence. She is crazy. It seems to be worse when another dog is around, my sister can bring her dog over and she goes nuts almost immediately and attacks her dog, but she keeps bringing her over so that is her problem. My sister doesn't think she will hurt any kid and she lets my parents keep her kids for a week at a time if she is out of town.

its just a tough situation to be in as family and I will just make it clear and do everything in my powers to keep my kids safe.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Jeremiah

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:45 pm

I would simply put "If you want to see the Grandkids I will bring them over if the dog is crated". Period.
brenda

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Just wondering is this a solid white or almost all white Boxer ? In my years of training I have seen more solid white Boxers be lke this , years ago a good breeder would have culled the litter of these white boxers, if it not whit one of the parents probley was.

Maybe get an outside trainer in to evaluate the dog- let him be the one to tell the folks you are in the middle of a mess and I would sure not like being in your shoes. All the advice given here is sound it just may come down to this Look Mom -Dad I love you and I know you love the kids but if you want to visit with them it will be at my house, I am Sorry, their my kids I do not trust your dog as far as I am concerned she is a dangerous dog I will not allow my kids around a dog like that. I am sorry,.

You might offer to get them another dog . and help them train it. Thoughts and prayers are with you, Man that is a tought place to be in.
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:26 am

That dog would be strung-up if it pulled that stunt at my house. That is my first and last rule - I do not tolerate fighting. EVER.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:50 am

It's their dog, they can do what they want with it. If they choose not to take its issues seriously, it's their call.

Just as it's your call not to visit their house or to not allow their dog in yours.

As Birddogz said, this is a nightmare waiting to happen. If your parents aren't going to do anything about it, then don't let your kids anywhere near that dog.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:56 pm

If I had grandkids and one of my dogs acted like that one, it wouldnt be around long. Takes a second for a life changing event to happen. I always read, "the dog never ascted like that before" after their child has been hurt real bad or killed. One little boy had his genitals tore off by his moms dog here. Poor kid wont ever be the same. Was it worth it to keep that dog is what I would ask her today.

Ask your Dad, what is the worth he has for them kids and the dog, then shoot the dog. Dad gets upset, knock his rear end out and dont go back. Sounds bad but some folks need to be woke up to the danger they impose on the kids, he is placing more worth on his dog than on his grandkids. If a kid gets hurt, it sure wont make anyone feel good.

Get him a new pup?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Nothing but bad things will come from this situation if they don't change their mind set. I just don't understand anybody putting this much value on a dog that is behaving this way, although I know of people who do. During a similar conversation one time with a woman, she asked me "would you get rid of one of your kids just because he/she had a problem?" I was in disbelief for a moment and then sternly told her to never put a dog on the same level as one of my babies.!!!

Your parents will pay for this in one way or another. I only hope that you make sure you and your family don't pay. I empathize with you in this situation, but it is they who are making the decision.

Sincerely,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 pm

birddogger wrote:Nothing but bad things will come from this situation if they don't change their mind set. I just don't understand anybody putting this much value on a dog that is behaving this way, although I know of people who do. During a similar conversation one time with a woman, she asked me "would you get rid of one of your kids just because he/she had a problem?" I was in disbelief for a moment and then sternly told her to never put a dog on the same level as one of my babies.!!!

Your parents will pay for this in one way or another. I only hope that you make sure you and your family don't pay. I empathize with you in this situation, but it is they who are making the decision.

Sincerely,
Charlie
You know, I can see her point if it is a problem that isn't violent. If she had a kid that tried to kill the neighbor, and her/his cousin on a regular basis, I would hope she would have the kid institutionalized! I love my dogs with all my heart, but that shyt is dangerous. I agree BDer, not on the same level as children, but even if they were, for discussion purposes only, I would have that kid out of my house pronto!
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Birddogz wrote:
birddogger wrote:Nothing but bad things will come from this situation if they don't change their mind set. I just don't understand anybody putting this much value on a dog that is behaving this way, although I know of people who do. During a similar conversation one time with a woman, she asked me "would you get rid of one of your kids just because he/she had a problem?" I was in disbelief for a moment and then sternly told her to never put a dog on the same level as one of my babies.!!!

Sincerely,
Charlie
You know, I can see her point if it is a problem that isn't violent. If she had a kid that tried to kill the neighbor, and her/his cousin on a regular basis, I would hope she would have the kid institutionalized! I love my dogs with all my heart, but that shyt is dangerous. I agree BDer, not on the same level as children, but even if they were, for discussion purposes only, I would have that kid out of my house pronto!
You are missing my point, but it seems to happen to me pretty often.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:14 am

I think by having to ask the Question; you pretty well know the anwser.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 am

Sir,
The dog needs some serious training from a pro trainer, if needed offer to pay for the training yourself, and if the parents refuse, keep your children away from your parents home, until the training is completed or until the dog is placed in a new home. Bad situation that needs resolved in a short time period.
RGD/Dave

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:09 am

Have your parents taken the dog to the vet to see if it is sick? Years ago we had a fawn boxer at the age of 4 she did exactly what you are describing with our dogs - out of the blue she would attack them. After 3 times we took her to the vet to have her checked out - she had cancer in her leg - we had it removed and the attacks stopped. We thought we had gotten all the cancer but sadly she died 2 yrs later at 6. It is not uncommon for Boxers to develop cancer at a young age.