Gun Intro

jbo

Gun Intro

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 am

I have an 8 month old DD and have been working him on wild birds and I started Gun Into this past weekend, how long does it take or does it depend on the dog?

I had my dad stay 50 yds behind and a couple of birds flushed and had him shoot a couple of shots from the starter pistol, I didn't transition to the shotgun because to be completely honest I didn't want any issues. He stopped and lifted his head when he heard the shots but I gave him the go on command and he continued to look for birds.

I would like to get gun intro done this week if possible but not sure how many times for the starter before switching to the 20 guage, then the 12.

Thanks
Jeremiah

Hotpepper

Re: Gun Intro

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:28 am

The best advice for dog training is to go at the dog's speed rather than our own. A slow start will cause him to accept it a lot more.

Have you been banging pains at feed time?

Exposed to other loud noises?

If you go slow you are going to have success. What is so special about having it done next week?

You have any birds to associate with the blank fire other than the ones who flew away? Fire the blank and throw a dead bird, feathers in the mouth and not catching a live bird are very important. The reward for a lifetime of good times with a dog is not for them to start catching birds at a young age.

A lot said here, hope all is accepted with the manner given

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 am

I would get you, pup, and an assistant. Take the pup out and have the assistant about 100 yds out with a starter pistol. Take pup and let him point the bird. As the bird is flushed (VERY important to do this as the bird is being flushed) have the assistant shoot the starter pistol. What you want to happen is, that the dog will be caught up in the moment of chasing or getting the bird that he/she doesn't acknowlege the sound of the gunfire. IF the dog ignores the pistol, repeat with the assistant 75 yards away. Repeat the scenario. If the dog ignores it, move closer. However, if the dog raises its head or stops at the sound, STOP immediately and go back to square 1.

You want the dog to chase the bird and be all excited about the bird. You're not looking or expecting the dog to not chase at this point. It is good for the dog to chase to instill prey drive and ignore and become conditioned to the gunfire. Gunfire = Birds. Eventually you should be able to be standing next to the dog, flush a bird and shoot the pistol with no reaction except the dog giving chase. When this happens, you are ready to move to a .410 shotgun or whatever you have equivelent and start the whole process again, until the pup is totally conditioned to whatever gun you will be shooting afield.

Pepper is right about not letting pup EVER catch a bird.
Hope this helps.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

jbo

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:48 am

Pepper

Thanks for the response, I haven't had a chance to work him a lot on birds this year until the past month and I have done intro loud noise (banging 2x4 together), never thought about using a dead bird after the shot, but I do have 3 dead pidgeons in the freezer.

I guess a little background would probably help explain my madness,

I would like to use this dog for upland and waterfowl, upland starts tomorrow and wanted to get out after some birds this weekend if possible, but do not want to screw him up by rushing the gun stuff and that is why I quit last weekend. I am very worried about making him gun shy.

My plan was to give him this summer to play with us and the kids and start basic house manners and obedience. He recalls well, IMO and I can cast him with a go on command. He has been able to chase birds, I have been swimming him regularly, lots of water and land retrieves. My plan was to give him this hunting season to be a puppy and hopefully learn he does better with a point and letting me flush. Then next spring begin the process of breaking him (whoa, steadiness, etc.)

I think my problem is mostly I have super high expectations of what I want finished and I am a perfectionist and always want to succeed. I need to probably just back off and take a deap breath. I know I would like to hunt with him this fall and realize everything I do either affects him negatively or positively and this first year will probably be his foundation of years to come.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:55 am

Rule #1 - Never set your dog up to fail.

Rushing and High Expectations, & improper training methods is a sure way to get there.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:42 pm

I'll add that being worried about him being gunshy can be a problem in itself. You must act like the gunfire is not a big deal. If the dog reads you as being worried, you may well cause him to start looking for the problem and in effect cause an issue that doesn't already exist. It is very important that you act like all of this is no big deal, or like the gun didn't go off at all.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"