Wild Bird Pointing ?

jbo

Wild Bird Pointing ?

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:08 am

Had Sarge (8 month old DD) out yesterday running the woods, looking for some grouse and woodcock. Half way productive, had 16 different flushes in an hour, problem is my dog is supposed to point them.

3rd time on wild birds, Haven't seen a before the flush point yet, did see him point where the bird was 4 times today after the flush. He points butterflys, and other dogs though. Anything to worry about or just keep getting him on birds. I would like to hunt behind him this fall but I am thinking I shouldn't shoot a non pointed bird so that it doesn't teach him I want it flushed.

Any advice to a rookie pointing dog owner/trainer

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Wild Bird Pointing ?

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:38 am

Did the birds fly off? How did he react?

jbo

Post by jbo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:51 am

He will watch them fly or sometimes jump at them and other times they flush and he doesn't even pay attention just keeps charging forward head down, nose to the ground. He did take a b line of one grouse about 75 yards before he found it and it flushed, I thought that was cool that he was running forward hit the scent turned right and took off running.

This is my first pointer, first time trainer, probably screwed up by getting a pup this year since I haven't had much time till now to work him. I am trying though and hope he overcomes my faults.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 am

I'll have to let other folks answer other parts, but you almost certainly should not be shooting birds that aren't pointed.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:59 am

I'd say your doing just fine, keep getting him into those grouse and woodcock, heck man nothing better for him in my opinion. He's young at 8 months and from my limited exposure to grouse and woodcock, it takes a little time and exposure for some dogs to figure it out.....
And IMO I think he is at a prime age to take hunting this fall, take the gun and shoot one if he points it.
You did say he is pointing where the birds were just after the flush, so to me it sounds like he is using his nose and has some pointing instinct, I would'nt worry about him chasing after the flushed bird all the time, sounds to me like all he needs is that first opportunity to point a bird and he'll figure it out.....

Good luck

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:07 am

Regular exposure to wild grouse is great for a young dog. Lucky to have them close by.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:24 am

They are a bear to shoot, at least Eastern birds are, for me anyway.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

lvrgsp wrote:I'd say your doing just fine, keep getting him into those grouse and woodcock, heck man nothing better for him in my opinion. He's young at 8 months and from my limited exposure to grouse and woodcock, it takes a little time and exposure for some dogs to figure it out.....
And IMO I think he is at a prime age to take hunting this fall, take the gun and shoot one if he points it.
You did say he is pointing where the birds were just after the flush, so to me it sounds like he is using his nose and has some pointing instinct, I would'nt worry about him chasing after the flushed bird all the time, sounds to me like all he needs is that first opportunity to point a bird and he'll figure it out.....

Good luck
Ditto! The wild birds will take care of it. Just be patient and enjoy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way