Upland boots

rkelly

Upland boots

Post by rkelly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 am

Anybody have any suggestions on an upland boot? I want something light and waterproof. I am looking to spend around $200. I bought a new pair of Danner Sharptails last year and they leak like crazy. They have since day 1. They have been demoted to yard work boots.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Upland boots

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am

I have several pairs of plain old Maine Hunting shoes. Some have been re-soled several times. I have a nice wool innersole and merino socks and I find that combo warmer enough. I like that they are light, waterproof, and clean out easily. They are also guaranteed unconditionally forever. They can be a bit warm in spring and summer and there isn't much support in the standard version, but for me they work. That shoe is perfect for Eastern conditions but they make some versions that are much warmer and a bit heavier that might suite you better.

For the midwest they should work well.

http://reviews.llbean.com/1138/IG72108/reviews.htm

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:52 pm

don't hear that about danner too much. i have the older version of the sharptail and they are great. i had a similar story to yours regarding a pair of irish setters i bought. i say give danner a try again with some pronghorns and test the waterproofing in a bucket..... send them back if they leak.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:43 pm

I had good luck with the old Danner Sharptail, they are getting a little worn out after several good seasons and I found a pair of Chippewa that I am going to start breaking in this year.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:50 pm

I have a pair of Vasque boots that I wear for backpacking and they would do the job for upland hunting as well. Lightweight, super durable and waterproof. I wore them for 4 days backpacking on snow in Aspen and they did wonderfully until I got snow inside the boots! I got them at REI.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:12 pm

I have wide feet and need at least an EE so it's hard to find boots that fit my feet. This year I found a site called "Zappos" and it's been great for finding good deals on shoes/boots. Last year I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns that have been outstanding and this spring I picked up a pair of Vasque waterproof hikers that have also been fantastic.

Good luck with your search!!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Vasque's are wonderful

Ditto the Zappos. You have free shipping and return shipping...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm

I have a pair of Danner Sharptails, they don't leak but man they make my feet sweat like crazy so I only wear them when it is really cold outside. I have a pair of Cabelas Upland Supreme boots that do the same thing and they do leak as well. Believe it or not the best pair of lightweight upland boots I own were purchased from Wal Mart for about 25 bucks and then I have a pair of Sportsmans Guide boots that work great in both warm and cold weather but they are a bit on the heavy side. Good luck. I am still searching for the perfect boot myself.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:59 am

whatever style suites you just buy them from a store like Beans. Whatever happens to them or whatever you do to them, they are guaranteed. Filson is the same but they are quite expensive.

bpainter

Post by bpainter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 pm

rkelly wrote:Anybody have any suggestions on an upland boot? I want something light and waterproof. I am looking to spend around $200. I bought a new pair of Danner Sharptails last year and they leak like crazy. They have since day 1. They have been demoted to yard work boots.
Check out Russell Moccasin Company. I bought a pair from them in 1988-89 and I am still trying to wear them out so I can justify getting a new pair. They are custom made to your feet and are really comfortable.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/