what some versatile dog to look at?

sjkennels

what some versatile dog to look at?

Post by sjkennels » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 am

one of my buddies is looking for a trained dog and he was asking what kind of dogs to look at i told him a DD gsp gwp or lab so i figured i would ask y'all and see what you thought he hunts dove pheasant quail and ducks a few times a year he said he wants one that will point back retrieve for upland birds but be able to take it dove/duck hunting and have it be able to be steady to shot and retrieve what would you y'all suggest?
kick'em up knock'em down

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: what some versatile dog to look at?

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 am

Think about the temperatures the dog will experience when doing field work. Of the breeds listed, the labs I've known have not handled heat as well as the other breeds listed.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:12 am

Personally, I'd rule out the lab if he's looking for a hardcore upland birddog steady to WSF - not saying it can't be trained, but there are better options out there IMO. Any decent bred DD/GWP or GSP would fit the bill. One observation though, my DDs would go nuts if they only hunted "a few times a year" - they live for it. The wirehaired breeds *may* be overkill and *most* have enough prey drive that they don't back naturally. I'd help him find a solid line of GSPs or decent Setters if you can find a line that has proven water dogs.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 am

Be sure to tell him to plan to spend a lot of time or money on training.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 am

SJKennel,
You might want your buddy to think about a Small Munsterlander, Dean Rasmussen has been known to train his dogs for his clients, and Dean's animals are some incredible upland machines.
If you want a dog who really produces in the field and forest I recommend his SM dogs very highly.

RGD/Dave

Mitch his father and L.C. his Small munsterlander female

Mitch & L.C.

Sampson our SM Stud dog

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Boykin Spaniel

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:54 pm

DD or PP if it were me. I don't really understand the lots of money on training comment from shooter. My DD does all that at 2. I spent 500 dollars on training.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm

sjkennels wrote:one of my buddies is looking for a trained dog and he was asking what kind of dogs to look at i told him a DD gsp gwp or lab so i figured i would ask y'all and see what you thought he hunts dove pheasant quail and ducks a few times a year he said he wants one that will point back retrieve for upland birds but be able to take it dove/duck hunting and have it be able to be steady to shot and retrieve what would you y'all suggest?
If your buddy is looking for a dog that is already trained, he will have far more to choose from and a lot less risk if he looks at a GSP.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Don't forget to look at the French Brittany. Natural pointers, natural retrievers, and backing instincts. They are a lot calmer in the house and take to training easy. They are a gun dog that works for the Hunter like no other. He won't need a professional trainer if he gets one, just opportunities for the dog to show what it can do.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 pm

quailrunner wrote:Don't forget to look at the French Brittany. Natural pointers, natural retrievers, and backing instincts. They are a lot calmer in the house and take to training easy. They are a gun dog that works for the Hunter like no other. He won't need a professional trainer if he gets one, just opportunities for the dog to show what it can do.
I second that. FBs are awesome dogs, and they eat nothing in comparison to a DD or PP. Incredible meat dogs. I don't know about the water work. Not saying they can't, just don't know any personally that do.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 am

Birddogz wrote:I don't really understand the lots of money on training comment from shooter.
Bd - If you're going to quote please do it accurately or just use the quote feature on the site. It was lots of time or money. IMO it's a rare dog who's master has spent little time or money providing proper exposure, getting the dog sufficient experience with the intended quarry and obtaining or providing adequate training for the dog to achieve the various skill levels listed. I haven't seen a dog yet that someone bought at eight weeks, stuck in a kennel for two years, took it out and it did everything listed in the original post.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:52 am

I concur. I misunderstood/misread your post. Takes a lot of time and exposure for certain. :wink:

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 pm

SJ,
Quail is giving you some good advise, FB dogs are serious little hunting dogs and are bred totally for companion hunting, they are easliy trained and dote on their masters.
The men of my Fathers & Grandfathers generations loved them in the Grouse woods and around their homes, at one time here in Potter County you either saw a Ryman Setter or Frech Brit on most every bird hunters porch. Great little dogs with big hearts and super talent, the hunting companion genetic imprint in these dogs is 2nd to none. Even George Ryman smiled when he saw them in the Grouse woods, and man that says something about the dogs talent level.
RGD/Dave