New Pup around Kids

pennyfarmer

New Pup around Kids

Post by pennyfarmer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 am

I am going to be in the market for a new pup in the next week. I have 7 kids ranging in age from 1-13. I was wondering if there are any things I need to insist that the kids do not do with my new dog?

I guess I am asking if there are any "special" do's and don'ts. The dog is most likely going to sleep in the house in a crate.

I also have a 14 yo shorthair weimerimer mix who is deaf and blind, he don't move much.
New owner of a perfect angel puppy. At least that is what my wife and kids call him. Do I have a problem?? Maybe but they will get over it. I am trying to raise a gundog over here.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: New Pup around Kids

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:17 am

Let me give you one "do" and one 'don't"

1) "DO" Let your kids feed the dog from time to time. The feeding ritual is a great way for the dog to learn who is boss. The dog should be forced to wait, relax and listen before the food bowl goes down. It is helpful that everyone in the family do this. So often the dog only listens to the primary care-giver and that is not a good situation.

2) "DON't" Let anyone roll around on the floor with a puppy. This encourages all kinds of bad dominant behavior like humping & mouthing. I know I sound like The Grinch but avoid this. Kneeling is ok but games where kids (and adults) lay on the stomach, hide there face and encourage the pup to jump on them is bad news.

Buy the Ceasar Milan or Victoria Stillwell book, as korny as it sounds.

:evil:

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 am

What breed are you thinking of?
Most professional dog trainers would agree that the oldest child in the home should be at least 5 years old before the parents bring in a puppy. With that being said many responsible parents have raised a pup with young children under 5 like yours with certain precautions.
NEVER leave the pup alone with any small child. It takes 100% watch of both kids and pup and teach the pup to not jump on anyone. That is a tough challenge for any parent. Keeping a lead on the pup when supervised helps a lot. Keeping the baby and other small kids away from the pup unless your right there to supervise with a leash on the pup. High prey chase pups can be a problem around running screaming kids. No chase games with kids and pup.
Crate training for the pup is important and no one should bother the pup when he is in his crate.
Don't let kids pick out the pup if this is going to be YOUR family pet and hunting dog. Work with the breeder to choose the best temperamented pup for your family and need.

Lots to learn and there is lots of info on the web for parents to read about raising kids and dog together.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:05 am

With 7 kids do you have any time for a pup? :lol: God bless you, I'm busy with 2 kids and 3 dogs. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

lovemydog

Post by lovemydog » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:37 am

Definitely let your kids socialize with the puppy as much as possible. My friend has a dog that very strongly dislikes children. I'm assuming this is because it lacked this kind of socialization. Obviously, the more time the puppy spends around people, the friendlier it will be.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am

lovemydog wrote:Definitely let your kids socialize with the puppy as much as possible. My friend has a dog that very strongly dislikes children. I'm assuming this is because it lacked this kind of socialization. Obviously, the more time the puppy spends around people, the friendlier it will be.
People often get socialization wrong with kids, or I should say they stop short. With many sporting breeds its ok because they are naturally social, but its not with others. It is important that dog view the child as its master otherwise they will challenge a child and that is when you have trouble. Terriers can be the absolute worst at this. Control of food by the child goes a long way to achieving this.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

We always had the neighbor kids as well as our own in to play with the pups. Never had a problem with it with our terriers, dobes, or Britts. The onlt thing I have ever heard as a problem was dont play tug of war with the pups but can't say I have seen a problem with that either.

Think the best advice is let the kids play and have fun but just be careful to not hurt them. I'll bet it all works out great without worrying about all of the do's and don'ts

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:20 am

Let the kidsenjoy the pup but always with adult SUPERVISION, until pup is older. Make a plan that everyone will use when pup nips which he/she will. This is a good thing to do with house training etc. Everyone needs to be correcting/ redirecting pup with the same technique - family meetings. Enjoy. :)

PS Read up on socialization - trucks, cars, other dogs, people of other nationalities, repair men, cats - sit in front to a mall and let pup interact with people. It's a bit of a conundrum . You don't want to expose pup to disease but if you wait for 3 sets of shots to be over, you have missed an important time period for socialization. Never let pup sniff the poo of other dogs when on a walk.

Pup is a baby. With 7 kids he/she will get very tired . At that age they need to sleep a lot so keep the kid interactions to no more then 30 minutes- .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Definitely involve the kids in feeding and training. But like Sharon said, make sure everyone is consistent with how they correct the dog and what is allowed and what isn't. It has to be the same all the time with everyone. I wish I had forseen that a little more. I only have 2 kids and this last year has been a lot of work. The kids both want to help out all the time and sometimes allow the dog to do things she shouldn't. I am still working on correcting things that our 1 year old Brittany learned was ok to do with the kids over the last year while my back was turned. Make sure you give the puppy a safe area, where the kids leave it completely alone. Kids are relentless, especially with a cute pupy.

Get the puppy around other dogs and people early and often. Our dog didn't learn much from the old, slow, deaf lab she got to play with most of the time when she was a puppy. The lab would just play dead and hope the puppy would leave.

It is a wonderful thing to see how close the dog and the kids are now, they really love each other. Have fun, it will be an adventure.

pennyfarmer

Post by pennyfarmer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Breed will most likely be a lab as I mostly duck hunt.

3 of the kids are under 5 but Mom is a stay at home Mom and I think she will do a good job keeping the little ones out of his crate.

I appreciate all of the advice.
New owner of a perfect angel puppy. At least that is what my wife and kids call him. Do I have a problem?? Maybe but they will get over it. I am trying to raise a gundog over here.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Buy the Ceasar Milan or Victoria Stillwell book, as korny as it sounds.

:evil:
Cesar-yes
Stillwell-NO, her show is so fake I can't believe it sometimes