Buying a older dog.

Deer Hunter

Buying a older dog.

Post by Deer Hunter » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:30 pm

What is the good and bad points about buying an older dog that is already trained ? Is it possiable for a older dog to bond with a new owner ? Can they still be trained to do things that maybe they have not been trained to do ? I am talking about dogs 6 to 8 years old.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Buying a older dog.

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Deer Hunter wrote: Is it possiable for a older dog to bond with a new owner ?
Yes, yes, yes, yes!!

On the training an older dog, I guess it would depend on you, how much time you have, and what new things you are talking about. If I were to try to learn a whole new language now as an adult it would be hard and take a long time, but if I had to, I think I could. But I learn new techniques at work all the time. I think a well taught dog, who has learned "to learn" is trainable always. Just keep in mind the magnitude of your goal.
The down side, would be fewer years with your dog, and BAD HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK. Every dog has some, so I'd try to find one with habits I don't mind so much.

The upside, most of the mistakes have already been fixed and the hard part is done, the immature "crazy stage" is over and probably the dog is more managble and mellow at the older age. I love puppies, but I think a lot of people would do much better starting out with a started or finished dog. I know our first GSP is great, but we made a lot!! of mistakes!

That's my 2 cents worth....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:35 pm

An older dog is fine though my choice would be a 2 to 4 year old.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:23 am

When you're looking for a new furry friend, you may be considering adopting an older dog. While puppies are undeniably cute, an adult dog can be a great option for busy families or first-time dog owners. Here are a few things to keep in mind when adopting an older dog:

1. Think about what size of dog you're looking for. Older dogs come in all shapes and sizes, so you'll want to make sure you find one that fits your lifestyle.

2. Consider the energy level of the dog. Puppies are full of energy and need a lot of exercises, but an older dog may be more content with a few short walks each day.

3. Be prepared to potty train. Older dogs may already be trained, but if not, you'll need to be prepared to do some work.

4. Think about health concerns. Older dogs may come with some health issues, so be sure to visit the vet regularly and have a plan in place in case of an emergency.

5. Be prepared for some behavioral issues. Older dogs may have some bad habits that you'll need to work on, but with patience and training, most dogs can learn to behave.

If you're considering adopting an older dog, keep these things in mind to make sure it's the right fit for you and your family.
Last edited by slistoe on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link embedded in post

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:15 am

Another 16 years ago post.
Deer hunter has probably made his choice.
Might be interesting though.........Cj

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 am

I like seeing ezzy's posts, though. RIP.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:47 am

My own experience was that you either spend a fortune or settle on a middling dog. I looked pretty hard for a started dog after having an unpleasant experience with my last puppy. I looked at a dog from a guide string at a preserve in CO and several dogs from prominent trial guys here in MT. I talked to a few guys in MN but never actually went and looked. None of the dogs I went and saw appeared to be very good and the average cost was like $3-5000.

The positives are pretty clear: you don’t have to deal with the annoying aspects of a puppy, there is zero chance you get a total dud and you get to see what your getting in action.

The downside is that a great or even good trained dog is a very valuable commodity. People are not going to want to part ways with them. My guess is that if you could even find one for sale it would be prohibitively expensive. If someone is selling a 2-3 yo dog there is a reason they don’t want it. In the best case it’s an elite level trial competitor or guide who starts 30 dogs a year and only keeps the real cream of the crop. What they let go might end up being a perfectly good gun dog for hunting. That being said, it’s in their financial interest to sell all the dogs they don’t keep.

Just my experience. I’m sure other folks have bought started dogs that worked out really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:40 pm

RatDog wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:47 am
My own experience was that you either spend a fortune or settle on a middling dog. Just my experience. I’m sure other folks have bought started dogs that worked out really well.
No to the first. Yes to the second. It is a matter of what you want, what you have to offer, whether you are willing to travel long distances and whether you are willing to say no.

The "what you have to offer " does not refer entirely to cash, though I'm sure it does if you're buying from a preserve. The reality is that there are a lot more good dogs -- and I mean very good dogs-- than there are good homes. Good homes means a full-time house dog to a lot of people. There are many who keep their dogs in that manner and genuinely love their dogs, but as a result of age, health or divorce simply cannot keep them any longer. Money is not the main factor with such people.

I have driven 1800 miles (round trip) to see a dog and come home with the dog. I have also received a finished Field Champion (different dog) for far less money than she was worth, simply because I could provide a genuine home -- not just a kennel and bird hunting -- for the dog.

It is easy to say that "everyone loves his dog", but that's not true to the same degree. Someone who has a genuine companion dog (that is also a very good possibly professionally-trained hunter) will have doing right by the dog as his highest priority. If you have credentials of a manner of taking care of the dog that goes well beyond hunting, you will find that's what they want; money is entirely secondary.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:48 pm

Steve007 wrote:
RatDog wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:47 am
My own experience was that you either spend a fortune or settle on a middling dog. Just my experience. I’m sure other folks have bought started dogs that worked out really well.
No to the first. Yes to the second. It is a matter of what you want, what you have to offer, whether you are willing to travel long distances and whether you are willing to say no.

The "what you have to offer " does not refer entirely to cash, though I'm sure it does if you're buying from a preserve. The reality is that there are a lot more good dogs -- and I mean very good dogs-- than there are good homes. Good homes means a full-time house dog to a lot of people. There are many who keep the dogs in that manner and genuinely love their dogs, but as a result of age, health or divorce simply cannot keep them any longer. Money is not the main factor with such people.

I have driven 1800 miles (round trip) to see a dog and come home with the dog. I have also received a finished Field Champion (different dog) for far less money than she was worth, simply because I could provide a genuine home -- not just a kennel and bird hunting -- for the dog.

It is easy to say that "everyone loves his dog", but that's not true to the same degree. Someone who has a genuine companion dog (that is also a very good possibly professionally-trained hunter) will have doing right by the dog as his highest priority. If you have credentials of a manner of taking care of the dog that goes well beyond hunting, you will find that's what they want; money is entirely secondary.
That’s really cool! Nice to hear that people care enough about the dogs to prioritize their well being like that.

I guess the biggest caveat to what I said is that’s from the perspective of someone who isn’t very plugged in to the dog world. With enough connections and relationships developed over time I’m sure anything would be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:25 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 am
I like seeing ezzy's posts, though. RIP.
👍🏻

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:17 am

When I was really into breeding and testing I sold my master titled, retire breeding females for little more than the cost of spaying. Most got really good owners, who also got really good family bird dogs. This was usually 6 to 8 year old dogs who were hunted regularly, traveled extensively and were crate trained. Not puppy mill females.
The vet costs and care gets a little more expensive but generally well worth it....Cj

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:48 am

cjhills wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:17 am
When I was really into breeding and testing I sold my master titled, retire breeding females for little more than the cost of spaying. Most got really good owners, who also got really good family bird dogs. This was usually 6 to 8 year old dogs who were hunted regularly, traveled extensively and were crate trained. Not puppy mill females.
The vet costs and care gets a little more expensive but generally well worth it....Cj
This is the right kind of viewpoint. The nationally-ranked FC I was lucky enough to get was six years old and recently spayed. She could've been sold for substantial money to a preserve or guide service, but the owner wanted her to go to a real home where she would be loved. We were all of us -- the owner, the dog and myself-- fortunate. And I did put a MH title on her in addition to her main duties as a full-time house and office dog.

Mpjl1214

Post by Mpjl1214 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:10 am

What's the best resource to finding pros that are likely looking to find a good home for a retired dog?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:18 pm

Buying an older dog may not be all roses. If that dog was trained, then given a lot of attention, it's possible you've struck gold. You know exactly what you have, you know exactly how the dog will perform, you could never buy a pup and have it trained for what you can sometimes pick up an older dog for. Another great dog is a field trial washout. Trained to the max and again, you know what you have.

Part of this equation is type of breed. If you opt for some type of flushing breed or retriever breed (kind of one in the same), the chance are that dog has been raised lovingly in the home and very well trained.

Pointing breeds many times do not have the good fortune of this kind of a life. It's pretty common to keep them kenneled, see what they have, then get rid of the marginal ones. It's not that you can't find one raised like the flushing-retrieving breeds are raised, it can just be more difficult to find one.

There is a difference between a dog raised in a kennel and one raised in the home. A kennel raised dog can end up being kennel shy. They don't do well around people and some will never be at home with a new owner. When a dog is raised from a pup it develops a tremendous bond with the owner, learns to quickly pick up moods of the owner and is use to children. A kennel raised dog can be a vey shy dog, can be prone to fear biting, and may never tolerate children.

So, yes, buying an older dog can be great, just be 100% aware of what you're buying and the drawbacks and plusses of each.